passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Seen a few more films recently.

Hand of God - new Paolo Sorrentino film on Netflix. Very horny coming of age film that has a funny first half and a more serious second half. I liked it, maybe not quite as much as his other films but he’s a very consistent director.

Coffee and Cigarettes - hadn’t even realised this was on Netflix until recently. Very enjoyable Jim Jarmusch film in the vein of his 80s black and white films. Maybe not all of the scenes work as well as others but it flew by for me.

Tremors - just a pleasure to watch from start to finish. Great to watch something that doesn’t try to ram a score down your throat. Everything about it is great.

The Exorcist III: Legion - I enjoyed this a lot. There’s nothing subtle about it but it’s very effective. I love the imagery of the film. At times it reminded me of the dreamlike quality of Twin Peaks. It was interesting to read about the changes that the director was forced to make to the film.

Ghostbusters Afterlife

Well, I really enjoyed that. Not amazing but found it good fun and very watchable. I actually had no idea Harold Ramis had died until I looked it up for obvious reasons while watching. I think the way they handled it was really well and respectfully done.

A huuuuuge improvement over that 3rd one they did, which is IMO one of the very worst films ever made. I hated it so much. 

Some of the original scenes from Exorcist 3 can be seen online in VHS quality

Spoiler

The Exorcist remains one of the weirdest horror 'series' ever. The first film being one of the best horrors ever, the 2nd being one of the worst films OF ALL TIME. 3 then being this interesting unique thing. Then they made two versions of four, I can't remember which is which lol

One of my favourite actors. Yet for such a high profile actor he really doesn't do many interviews. Here's one I was referred to, from 1982.

The time stamp reveals an interesting bit I didn't know.

Nightmare Alley

I enjoyed it. I was also referred to the 40's original film by a friend (not surprised by remakes anymore). Not one of Del Toro's best and at three hours, started to run out of steam just before the final third. 7/10

Spider-Man: No Way Home

I don't like Spider-Man. I found the MCU one insufferable in Infinity War. So shied away from his solo films til now. That said, probably the best Spider-Man film I've seen. Go see it @Maf You will love it. There were only two people in the screen with me. So crowds aren't an issue. 9/10

Wow that’s late!! Oh well, this is one of those films I will own on 4k blu ray to be able to watch it in its proper glory & without any artifacting, buffering or bitrate issues. Maf, you should do the same. It’s worth it. 

I'm willing to bet it's better than the most recent Halloween

anyway, I watched a film called Mass over the weekend. It's really good, lots of #acting going on, it's about the aftermath, years later, of a school shooting. My only criticism is I think it's a bit of a missed opportunity, given how much focus there is on the room, that they didn't set it exclusively in the room. Also, a couple of the characters are a little to exaggerated but I think one of the actresses is just like that, certainly based on a couple of other things I've seen her in

And I watched Gunpowder Milkshake. It's ok, certainly isn't terrible but it's very much got a "we've got a John Wick at home" feel to it. It's hard to place what exactly is wrong with it, I think it tries to be too light in tone maybe, it certainly feels a bit throwaway and I didn't care about any of the characters. The cheapness isn't helped by the number of non-americans doing american accents either