passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Ironic considering the above conversation but I feel like that story could be better represented in a graphic novel rather than an actual novel. Not that I would read a Dune comic personally, but I thought the writing style in the novel was bad. Because of the internal monologues expositing all the time, found it really clunky and couldn't understand why it was that way all the time.

Like I dunno there just wasn't much subtlety with it, so maybe the film could be better I dunno

A little off topic. But It is rare for me to find a book that impenetrable, as I found Dune. I haven't seen the 80's version but I have been warned off seeing it. So I would like to see a new one. 

Anyway, I haven't seen Sicario or know what it is and I didn't love Arrival but found the concept cool. But the real reason I want to see this is I was so impressed with Bladerunner 2049. I even watched it a second time expecting to be much more lukewarm on it, nope the film is actually great. Got it in one he did, a great sequel to the biggest sci fi classic. I think that's the reason a lot of people are really interested in Dune.

I mean even Jared Leto had something to offer in that movie, how the hell. I know some people found it too long but I didn't

Sicario is one of the most boring films I’ve ever seen. The subject matter is right up my street but it was just so dull. Definitely don’t recommend that to people. 

Preferred 2049 to the original Blade Runner myself. Don’t get the hype around the original at all but I did only watch it within the last year. May have just come to it too late. 

I’ve read the actual quote Denis made and it’s not half as bad as people are making out. Marvel films are cut and paste. They almost have to be as sequels and prequels otherwise there’d be a weird tonal shift every-time. Dune 2 will be largely similar to the first. 

Denis: “If we’re talking about Marvel, the thing is, all these films are made from the same mold. Some filmmakers can add a little color to it, but they’re all cast in the same factory. It doesn’t take anything away from the movies, but they are formatted.”

I mean there is also another quote later on that maybe these films are turning us into zombies, but imo it's referring to the really cookie cutter ones. Most of the first phase and some of the more mindless sequels. The 'zombie' quote didn't come from the bit where he talks about them being all formulaic.

I don't believe he has any specific grudge against broad appeal mass market films, like some others might. I mean Dune is one of those films, maybe some people will pretend it isn't but it's a PG-13 blockbuster. The content of that book isn't quite PG-13. Some focus groups got their hands on that thing and probably said the bit where

Spoiler

the villain molests and kills kids might need toning down a bit

(There's no way that is in this movie but I don't want to get in an argument about spoilers)

The real takeaway imo is there is just so many of these films and they have dominated cinema going for a decade. It's not strange that a dude like this is rolling his eyes a bit. That remark could have been kept out of it, but like it would be nice if there was a bit of an MCU recession for a bit and I don't just mean the way it has been during covid. Like, fewer films per annum and more TV features or something. Like wouldn't it be interesting maybe if they kept the big finale features like Avengers Endgame for the cinema and explored the individual characters in TV series, rather than it dominating screens and leaving people in some places without much choice when it comes to cinema going. I wish it was like this and I think even comic fans wouldn't mind a shift to the TV series format

The only "problem" I see with Marvel movies, and the quotation marks are there because it doesn't affect me, is that younger audiences who around the time the first ones came out in cinema were at that age where they stopped watching cartoons and decided to watch the real stuff, probably grew up thinking that this is all cinema has to offer because they're so dominant in terms of media attention. Well, MCU and the occasional Twilight movie.

When I look at the films I grew up with, it was just a way more varied lineup. Lion King, Toy Story, Ferngully, Star Wars, Braveheart, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, a truckload of Jim Carrey and Robin Williams movies etc. Not saying that objectively that lineup is better than the entirety of the MCU but I'm glad I saw those movies and not just Marvel stuff in my childhood/teenage years.

Anyway, will probably go see Dune during the week. Finally caught up with the book so I'm interested in how it's going to be adapted because there's lots of talking and monologuing and not much else in that first half.

Suicide Squad (The New One)

That was brilliant fun. A big, vast, huge, massive, enormous improvement over the other one. I also just love superhero/anti-hero stuff which embrace a adult rating too. So satisfying and funny seeing normal people square off against a superhero with a suitably gruesome and funny outcome. 

The visual effects are actually good for the most part too, DC films usually look like shit. Big improvement here. 

I finally watched Roma. Well I watched it over multiple sittings and finished it today.

It was obviously a film that would have benefited from being seen in the cinema, with the wide angle shots, and the audio. The audio probably would have been immersive in the cinema, coming from all directions, but watching it at home it was just a little bit annoying, I watched most of the film with headphones which was better.

I didn’t love it. There were some beautiful scenes but I watched most of it without any great emotional involvement (not surprising given how there were so few close up shots in the film). The scenes of real emotional distress which came at the end of the film, if they had been in another film would probably have been very moving but in this one you’re just kind of observing them. But then again, the director obviously chose to direct the film this way. 

I’m not sure if I would watch it again on Netflix but if I had a chance to see it in the cinema I would. It reminded me a lot of the films of Michelangelo Antonioni like L’ Avventura, but those films had something more compelling that this one just didn’t have for me.

But it’s obviously gone down as a classic, so what do I know.

@radiofloyd I didn’t love it either. I really wanted to given the hype and his other incredible films but I didn’t feel particularly invested in any of the characters throughout. Or at least not as much I felt I was expected to.

I did enjoy it enough to slap an 8 on it mind and I think it was one of if not the first 4k film Netflix had and it sure is a looker. 

What fresh hell is this?

Illumination Entertainment’s upcoming animated movie based on Nintendo’s famed “Super Mario Bros.” gaming franchise has set its cast and release date.

Chris Pratt leads the group as Mario alongside Anya Taylor-Joy (Princess Peach) Charlie Day (Luigi), Jack Black (Bowser), Keegan-Michael Key (Toad), Seth Rogen (Donkey Kong), Fred Armisen (Cranky Kong), Kevin Michael Richardson (Kamek) and Sebastian Maniscalco (Spike).

Aaron Horvath and Michael Jelenic (“Teen Titans Go! To the Movies”) direct from a script by “Minions: The Rise of Gru” screenwriter Matthew Fogel. Chris Meledandri and Mario’s creator Shigeru Miyamoto will produce.

Universal Pictures will distribute the film which has set a U.S. release of December 21st 2022, with an international rollout to follow shortly afterwards. The news was announced as a part of Thursday’s Nintendo Direct presentation.

😬

Why are the Kongs even in a Mario film??🤷‍♂️

Nothing about this sounds good. I thought Nintendo (wisely) swore off IP based films after the last one? (Not including Detective Pikachu)

Chris Pratt sounds like an odd choice, but apart from that I think, on paper, there’s not a lot to be negative about with the Mario movie. 

Illumination is one of the biggest and best animation studios. It’s a really big, star studded cast. It doesn’t sound like it will be a mixture of live action, pure CG. The only thing to really judge the movie by are the ingredients and so far they all seem pretty good. If this move fails it won’t be for lack of trying or spending. 

It’ll come down to their take on Mario. Which is hard because nothing about the world of Mario lends itself to story. There’s a joke somewhere about in Mario’s world some mushrooms you talk to, some mushrooms you eat, some mushrooms you jump on. None of it makes sense. They’ll have to adapt it pretty heavily. 

I’m expecting this to turn out as a pretty inoffensive kids movie. There’s nothing about this movie yet that sounds like a disaster. I’m not sure why Twitter was so quick to clown on it. 

Except for the Chris Pratt thing, but who knows it, might work

38 minutes ago, Maf said:

Which is hard because nothing about the world of Mario lends itself to story.

Exactly. All the best narratives in Mario - points to the Mario RPG's - don't revolve around him. Jack Black as Bowser raised an alarm bell too...

It just seems low effort going by the casting, like they just threw money at it and got the most famous people who are up for it.  I just see it being lowest common denominator.  I guess Sonic was too but there was enough sincerity and weirdness to get some kinda ironic entertainment out of.

Detective Pikachu managed to elevate a bit beyond that too, but I don't have hope Illumination will make anything beyond something to keep the kids quiet.  I get the ridiculousness of being a 37 y/o dude wanting my Mario movie but Nintendo have being against doing one for so long and there's a broad audience, not just in age but the types of Mario people like.  I guess it's kind of an impossible task.  But the cast reveal got me thinking that the approach they're taking may not be a Mario movie I'd be interested in.  But fine! I'm not mad, just disappointed.