passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

? A ten month delay?!

Only a matter of time to hear similar of WW84, I suppose? There was an interesting looking film called "The Father", I was curious about. Hopefully PCC will pick it up.

Ho, ho, ho

https://www.fastcompany.com/90560713/sorry-disney-plus-subscribers-now-anyone-can-buy-mulan-for-the-same-price-you-paid-to-rent-it

If you paid $30 last month for the pleasure of being able to stream the live-action Mulan via your Disney Plus account, you might be feeling a bit angry today. That’s because now Disney has released the live-action Mulan on the Apple iTunes and Google Playmovie stores for $29.99—no Disney Plus subscription required to buy or keep the film.

all the people who put down $30 (on top of their normal Disney Plus monthly fee) for the pleasure of accessing Mulanon Disney’s streaming service are probably feeling pretty burned right now. After all, if those people leave Disney Plus, they lose their access to Mulan. Whereas anyone who buys Mulan for $30 today on iTunes or Google Play gets to keep and watch the film forever—no Disney Plus subscription required.

And if you’re wondering, the iTunes and Google Play versions of Mulan are packed with extras, including documentaries on the film, deleted scenes, and more. Oh, and it’s in 4K, too.

I never liked Disney+ right from when they released Rise of Skywalker months before putting it on their own “Home of Star Wars” service but this shit is even worse. 

I get that they’re hurting and trying to claw money back. But shitting on your most loyal customers while you do it? 

I mean most people who "bought" Mulan on D+ hopefully already knew that it was a dumb idea and just went on with it anyway. 

But yeah, it's a really shitty practice all around. But we can probably thank Covid for it because they might have realised that their D+ empire isn't quite big enough yet and that they need to release some stuff on other VOD services as well to make money.

On 07/10/2020 at 18:43, Maf said:

I never liked Disney+ right from when they released Rise of Skywalker months before putting it on their own “Home of Star Wars” service but this shit is even worse. 

I get that they’re hurting and trying to claw money back. But shitting on your most loyal customers while you do it? 

You think they wouldn't launch a SW film in cinemas? ? 

Well, yeah. This was always going to happen? I don't get what I'm meant to be outraged at. Now others that didn't want to watch the film when it came out on Premier Access in September get to see it in November, good news. 

They always said from the start Mulan would be available on Disney+ included in the sub at a later date (December) and that the 'Premier Access' was getting access to the film early. In this case 2 months earlier than people who want to buy the film on iTunes etc. (September > November) and 3 months earlier than folks who get it included in their Disney+ sub (December). 

I'm not so sure what's so shitty about this. It's pretty much the same as what every film studio does it's just with Mulan they've forgone a Cinema release for the Premier Access due to COVID. Almost every film that comes out goes cinema > digital purchase > physical purchase > streaming. 

I think they shouldn’t proudly say D+ is the home of Star Wars when it hits every other streaming service first. If you’re a fan of Star Wars you have to wait longer than the people who aren’t subscribed to the Star Wars subscription service? That’s awful. It’s ok if they put it out on other services but put it out on D+ at the same time. This is what people pay their subscription for. Why should they be ripped off or delayed? 

Everything about D+ is weirdly anti-Disney loyalist. They treat their non D+ customers better than they do the people who subscribe. Especially in this Mulan case when someone would literally be getting more for their money by not going the Disney route. Better version + extras at less price. It’s garbage. 

Premium VOD is already a hard sell but if this is how companies are going to handle it it will never take off. 

1 hour ago, Maf said:

I think they shouldn’t proudly say D+ is the home of Star Wars when it hits every other streaming service first.

Do you mean it hits places to pay to rent to stream it before being included with a Disney+ Subscription? Because that’s a lot different. 

Yeah. RoS was available to buy and stream on other services first before D+ by a couple of months. Which I think is huge amounts of bullshit. 

It’s ok that it’s on other services for people that don’t want D+. Fine then you pay the purchase or rental price for that. But if you are subscribed to D+ “The home of Star Wars” then why should a subscriber have to wait while non-subscribers get access to it now? Subscribers are still paying customers. Give them the Star Wars the same time as the other paying customers. 

I think it’s really bad business. It’s their movie, their service, you pay, but you have to wait while people not on their service get to pay and have it now. Garbage ass shit. 

I don’t know what you mean “For twice the price or more”. My beef is that D+ doesn’t get it the same day as other services. If you’re a Star Wars fan it would make more sense to buy/rent/watch the films anywhere else and only subscribe to D+ after each season of Mandalorian has aired.

Because otherwise it’s disrespectful to their subscribers. I don’t even pay them and I feel disrespected by it.

That is their slogan. They’re saying hey, if you’re a Star Wars fan, you should come here and subscribe to us. This is the place for Star Wars. 

What they actually mean is hey, if you’re a Star Wars fan you should come subscribe to us for the leftovers after everybody else has had it. We’re going to make you wait while we milk this thing for every last drop first. Then you can have it. Because we do not value your subscription or loyalty. You’re last in the cue. 

Fuck your service, then.

I get that it makes more financial sense for them to do the way their doing. But I think it’s really out of order for the people that subscribe to D+. 

Perhaps I shouldn’t have been but I was shocked when RoS came out but it wasn’t on D+ at the same time. 

From what I gather @Maf you want it on D+ the same day but without the charge of renting it from them? It’s only added to other services as they’re stores to buy and rent from. D+ is the home of Star Wars because that’s the place to stream them all included in the subscription charge.

They wouldn’t add it to stores to rent and buy from but also have the option that you just join D+ for cheaper or even free for the first month as then no bugger would buy or rent it elsewhere. 

13 hours ago, mmmark said:

They wouldn’t add it to stores to rent and buy from but also have the option that you just join D+ for cheaper or even free for the first month as then no bugger would buy or rent it elsewhere. 

I'm probably the most anti-Disney person on here but even I can understand why they don't put new star Wars movies on D+ the moment they come out in cinemas or on Bluray.

What they could do if they weren't such a bunch of greedy bastards is implementing some sort of "loyality upgrade" to you subscription. Let's say you're subscribed for three months and then you automatically receive that upgrade, which allows you to stream movies at the same day they become available to buy on other platforms. That way they can prevent people from just joining for a month when a new movie drops to get all the benefits and simultaneously keep their subscribers on board (because you'd lose the upgrade if you stop your subscription and have to start over when you re-enter).

A simpler, more obvious solution of course would be to sell a premium version of D+ that's more expensive and does the same thing.