passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Wow, so the through life cost of that is $$$ !?!? 

e.g. If I pay $30 then it costs me $9.99 (or however much a sub us)  a month just to keep it ! $150 in yr 1, then $120 per year afterwards.

I know I'm being extreme (in putting nil value against other Disney+ accessible content) but it isn't really a great deal at all.

5 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

I know I'm being extreme (in putting nil value against other Disney+ accessible content) but it isn't really a great deal at all.

£22 up front isn't bad at all for me considering a cinema ticket would've been about the same and you get to keep the license and watch it multiple times (even with the strings attached of having to maintain your D+ membership).

I'll be buying it Day 1, adore the OG film and it's one of my fiance's favourite films ever so yeah, it's a no-brainer for us.

Honestly I would pay that for a film I want to watch, except for the stupid restriction you need a D+ membership.

In London cinema prices are something like 16-18£ each, really crazy. Add commute costs as well.

As said before I ain't going near a cinema until there's a vaccine, I don't trust the air circulation in there if this thing turns out to be airborne

Fair enough - just wonder if this will be the new business model - essentially 'locked-in' to enduring subscriptions, even to access extra paid for content. 

Then you add in a Netflix and Prime subscription, for their exclusive content (and maybe paid for extras) and it rolls on. 

The digital format allows companies to give you even less 'ownership' for the things you thought you'd bought - I know this is a long trodden route with iTunes over what do you actually 'own' and what, if anything, you can transfer/resell etc.

Throw in the whole 'rights' issue (e.g. where games are withdrawn from digital sale as licences/music rights expire, or movies have restricted releases in certain countries) and the digital future looks a bit messy.

Yes, the problem is as consumers we get an awful digital deal - we get pages of EULA thrust at us when we've paid for and just want to watch/play - but what we sign up to actually doesn't usually give us much right to do an awful lot - and, as above, isn't flexible to modern life/changing circumstances.

At least physical ownership (disc based media) gives you a bit more certainty - albeit in 20 yrs time whether the 'game patches' etc are available still is debatable - but now I'm somewhat drifting 'off topic'.

I don't think £22 is too bad to "rent" (semi own, whatever) a film that would normally be at the cinema, works out cheaper than two cinema tickets at peak price. I wouldn't bother for Mulan, but for something like Black Widow or Tenet I'd be happy to do that. We do have the benefit of having a decent HD projector so can create the cinema experience at home.

yeah it totally depends how many people are watching, for a family it's probably a good price, but for me on my own it's not going to be worth it. i'm happy to wait for a better price.

some cinemas round here were also showing films for a fiver in the last few years.

I have two trains of thoughts on this. First one is won’t it come to D+ for no extra charge anyway? Isn’t that the point of the service? It’s supposed to be home to all things Disney. This is a Disney product. Can’t someone just wait it out and not pay the $30? If that’s not the case then bullshit. And if that is the case then unless you had kids why would you pay that now. 

My second thought is I give them this one because of the circumstances involved. I was reading they need 300 million $ to break even. Break even. For whatever you want to say about Disney’s creativity they sure do spend the mulah (Ha!). Fuck, if I was spending 300 million $ on an investment I’d be pretty fucking safe about it too. I don’t even buy video games unless it’s in a sale. Add on if they don’t start making money on this soon they’ll be paying bank and interest charges while making no money on it. I get it. Desperate times and all that. You can hate greed but you can’t hate survival. 

Either way doesn’t mean that much to me you’d be hard pushed to get me to watch Mulan for 0 bucks. Just not my type of movie. Although for the service this is the 2nd time it’s made me go wait what with them. First time is when they put out Star Wars 3-B on every other streaming service before putting on D+. Get the fuck out of here with that. If this the home of all things Star Wars you should put the fucking Star Wars movie on it instead of trying to squeeze people for that little bit more. It has cinema time, fine. But when it comes to streaming put it on your streaming platform you advertised would be the go to place to stream Disney products. You muthafuck.

15 hours ago, Maf said:

I was reading they need 300 million $ to break even. Break even. For whatever you want to say about Disney’s creativity they sure do spend the mulah (Ha!).

300 million is peanuts for Disney, it's what the original Mulan made back in the day already.

I won't compare it to Lion King since that's just a bigger name but for comparison's sake, the live action Aladdin made one billion (!) at the box office. Don't start crying for Disney quite yet, Covid or not.

Generally speaking I don't think I'd ever pay as much or even more for a digital rental than for a cinema ticket. Cinema just has a bunch of benefits I don't have at home, most importantly the big "screen" and better audio. Of course you can argue that tickets are individual and that you can watch the movie with as many people as you want at home and all that. That's fine, too. I watch most movies alone and for me that's just not a good deal at all.

And I'm not even talking about that Mulan pricing which is a rental no matter how you put it since you only have access to it as long as you have D+.

Well yeah it made 1B at the box office but that's when there were cinemas to go to. They (cinemas) are facing an existential crisis cause of this thing and something has got to give here. Either it's going to be budgets or it's going to be prices.

This will probably make severe losses. Also it will be trivial for someone to capture it on Shadowplay or something and share the MP4

Not that I care much about the success of a film starring a CCP bootlicker or anything but just saying is all

I got no love for Disney but 300 million is peanuts to nobody. Even if this made half that money through streaming there is no company looking at a 150 million loss on their balance sheet and not asking huge questions about what the fuck happened right there. Regardless of the profitability of other films in any other circumstances if a company spent 300 million on a project and that project was a huge loss like this one will be heads would roll. So I sympathise with that situation while at the same time being entertained by the drama and the wildness of them putting it to streaming. That is a desperate move and they will definitely take a loss. They don’t make desperate moves like this over peanuts. 

They definitely have the liquidity to take hits like this, they can afford this. But they can’t afford too many of this.

10 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Well yeah it made 1B at the box office but that's when there were cinemas to go to. They (cinemas) are facing an existential crisis cause of this thing and something has got to give here. Either it's going to be budgets or it's going to be prices.

That depends on how Mulan performs digitally. Maybe there's not that big of a drop because people will just adapt to this new thing and buy the movie to watch it at home. In this day and age it's honestly hard to say. Nintendo posted record sales for Animal Crossing which probably wouldn't have happened without Covid. Maybe movies can do this, too?

For the cinemas it's another matter entirely of course. But this was more of a question whether Mulan can break even and I think it can and will, even without cinemas.

If Mulan makes money on streaming that will be the death of both cinemas and big spectacle movies. I don’t think it will make money but if it did that would be it.

As someone who isn’t a huge movie fan I would be Ok with cinemas dying just to see the shake up of the industry and what would happen. I’m more interested in the business side of movies than the movies themselves so to see all the experiments and different ways movies would evolve to fit the new business would be fascinating. 

I finally got back to watching Joker tonight. It's a good film, but I think it's more that it ends really, really well. I'd love for them to pull this in to the main Batman series, but equally I suppose they could also tell multiple different Joker stories

Watched The Descent and Icarus on Netflix. I’ve seen The Descent before and it’s held up pretty well, enjoyable horror romp. Icarus was an interesting film about doping in sport, but more than that it was an interesting look at one man who was at the heart of it all. I’d give them both a solid 7/10.