passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Drive-In Cinema is such a weird thing. For most people the audio quality will be awful. Depending on how new or old your car is the radio will probably shut off after a couple of minutes to save battery. And all it takes to completely ruin your experience is a pigeon shitting on your windshield five minutes before it starts.

I once won a ticket for such a thing and it's definitely not something I'd pay money for. I guess it could be cool in an American desert at night just for the atmosphere?

How will we hear the show?

You will collect an audio receiver and high quality speaker for your car upon arrival. These are wireless and set up ready to go so there’s no fiddling around needed and you don't need to have your radio on draining your battery!

£30 for 4 is fine, but those in the back aren't likely to see much (say this in their FAQs too).

Wouldn't mind if they were showing new films, as a viable alternative to C-19 restricted indoor cinemas, but instead it's mostly 20+ yr old 'classics'. 

Oh well, some might find sitting in their car as a nice night out, especially if they've been pining for that sitting in traffic experience (as if now WFH or furloughed rather than 'enjoying' a daily commute).

I suppose all they're really doing is re-roling those summer outdoor parks & garden cinema 'experiences' into something that is clearly socially distanced. Those didn't appeal to me either, but fair enough for anyone it does.

2 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I wonder what socially distanced cinemas will be like. I wonder if it might be actually better, far less dickheads making noise and kicking seats.

The tension watching The Quiet Place II will be unbearable - can you imagine being the person who coughs......!

29 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I wonder what socially distanced cinemas will be like. I wonder if it might be actually better, far less dickheads making noise and kicking seats.

To be fair, I was in the last screening of the first film, at my local Odeon. Although there were about a dozen people there, no one made a noise when the film started. Which helped me, as I was probably the only person in the screen watching it for the first time.

As for how the experience will differ. I usually go off-peak. Mid-Afternoon straight from work. There are times when only one to three other people will be in the room with you. I imagine it will be like that. It will likely be a long time before the spiralling queues and packed screens of Avengers: Endgame become a normal sight again.

It’ll be like transport is atm. One seat nothing, next two signs that you can sit here if you live with the person next to you. Min wage staff checking but not caring who knows who. Also the 2m rule probably reduced next week. Not because it’s any safer and suddenly a sneeze travels less distance but because businesses whose votes matter want to have as many people as possible crammed in.

Watched Goodnight Mommy which is a very bleak Austrian film (of course I thought it was German until I read some reviews) - the trailer portrays it as a kind of horror film but it’s not really, although it’s certainly graphic and hard to watch. There are many similarities to Ari Aster’s films but it didn’t appeal to me like those did. It’s far from bad but it’s hard to recommend too.

I watched The Wicker Man for the first time, absolutely loved it. Just fascinating and full of memorable images from start to finish. The final scene is pretty terrifying. I watched the accompanying documentary as well and that was pretty interesting.

Daimajin The Monster of Terror (1966)

So I haven't really watched anything (TV or Film) for quite a while. What better than a good Monster movie to come back to?

This proved to be a rare find on YouTube of all places. I'd bought a Toho Movie poster calendar this year, in preparation for the holiday that never was. June, was this...

MV5BODgzOTY1YTgtOWFmYy00MjU2LWE5MjQtYzFi

This is actually the poster to the sequel (Return of Daimajin). Suffice to say I was surprised and impressed to find the first one online. I'd say it holds up really well for a film from 1966, in terms of effects. I don't know about the latter two parts of the trilogy, but this one doesn't quite play out like Godzilla or the other Kaiju films of the era. Very Good though 8/10

The Link

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Get Out is excellent, I think I might slightly prefer Us, but I saw Get Out at the peak of its hype which might have affected my watch of it. Wouldn't mind watching them both again actually, might aim for that this week.

Charlie's Angels (2019)

Just a pretty bang on average action movie, with a few good plot twists. It's nicely updated for the time, with homage paid to the TV show (and films) but clearly establishing its own identity, and a little more straightlaced than the rather tongue in cheek previous couple of films (and so I suppose what it lacks is that element of 'charm').

EcNnc0lU0AEhXHZ.jpg

So this is rumoured to be one of the upcoming remakes. I don't remember exactly, but I don't recall the '92 original being some mega hit people are crying out to return??