passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Just watched Hackers

Fuck me that movie is bad, but I honestly love it. Some genuinely funny moments and some surprisingly nice cinematography at times. The soundtrack is fantastic and the cast is superb.

I love it as much now as I did when I first watched it as a kid. But it is so bad! ??

10/10

Watched Crimson Peak by Guillermo Del Toro. I enjoyed it, maybe more so the first half in America and when she first arrived in the house, than when things started to kick off later in the movie. It would have been nice to see it on the big screen. Overall, i’d give it 6/10.

I read a review that gave it a perfect score which is a bit of a stretch.

I really want to watch it again as well, but isn't available on the usual streaming platforms and the torrent for it is dead. Probably should just pony up the couple of quid to buy or rent it from Amazon or something.

Extraction - 8/10

This is my kind of shit! I loved it, great action film. I particular loved the one-take style action scenes. The car chase, and obviously the knife fight were fantastic. Also a part where they’re jumping across rooftops and the way the camera follows this section is pretty incredible IMO. Been a long time since a film made me think “how the hell did they do that?!”. Some John Wick style gung-fu shit is in some scenes too and done quite well. 

Thought the ending

Spoiler

was a bit of a cop out and just discovered this was thanks to focus testing. As usual, focus testing ruins what could have been a emotional scene in a film that’s lacking that type of thing for the most part. The director has said that in his original ending you actually saw Tyler die and that was how he wanted it rather than the more ambiguous one we got. Would have been a lot better IMO and it does still leave you to decide yourself so that’s the ending I’ll take. If they make a sequel with Tyler in it though that’s utter BS. 

Got to say the sound mixing is fucking terrible too. The dialogue is so quiet but the action scenes are ridiculously loud! Ended up putting subtitles on half way through which was annoying. I do have issue with dialogue in most films TBH (I need to mess about with my set up some more) but this was on another level, I’ve never had to put subtitles on before. 

The Bouncer - 7/10

This really surprised me. A relatively recent JCVD film. Was expecting it to be really terrible and a dumb action flick, but it’s actually quite dark and serious. Obviously has some action scenes but not the martial art OTT stuff you’d expect. One of the big fights near the beginning is actually quite brutal, more like a proper street fight. 

It’s basically a Bouncer who’s been through some shit gets dragged into doing jobs for a criminal and cops. 

JCVD does a surprisingly good job of acting in this, really impressed. Plays the character whos been through some shit without actually saying much at all really well. I really liked the lack of sound throughout actually. Added to tone really well. 

Not going to be hailed as a classic or anything like that but I strongly recommend giving it a go. 

A Dark Song

"A bitter and grieving Sophia rents an isolated house in rural Wales in order to convince short-tempered occultist Joseph Solomon to lead her in a grueling, months-long rite dictated from The Book of Abramelin to summon her guardian angel. They will then be allowed to ask the angel to grant them a wish."

What you get is a slow burning tale of two people in an isolated house painfully recreating an 'authentic' magic ritual, with a strong focus on characterisation as the plot gradually unfolds. It's much more a drama than a horror film and all the better for it as it eventually crashes to its conclusion. 

A UK production, currently included with Amazon Prime.

I’ve got Meaning of Life on. That film terrified me as a child, especially the scene with Mr Creosote.

Probably Monty Python’s weakest film, certainly the least cohesive, but you have to admire the “throw shit at the wall” approach.

Watched Midsommar Director’s Cut in the cinema. I loved Hereditary and this goes one better. I could have watched this forever, it looks beautiful on the big screen. Just the right amount of intrigue, violence, suspense. One of the best soundtracks i’ve heard in a long time. Absolutely loved it from start to finish. 10/10

Ari Aster might just be my favourite working director at the moment.

I've  been ill so I've watched some films over the last few days.

I watched Crawl, it's got a good rating on a few places, it's from Sam Raimi's studio, and it's... alright. During a hurricane a young woman tries to find her dad, unfortunately the flooding has brought alligators. It kind of keeps going and going, I'd probably say its biggest problem is it brings in characters just to kill them off which just trains you to know that the key characters aren't safe no matter how it looks. It's not bad, neither of the main characters are particularly likeable, but it's a decent enough recent release if you're stuck for something to watch

Crank, not watched this in years but have really fond memories of it. It's not aged great. It's not as funny as I remember, which is one thing, but it's also not quite what I remember it being, I think Crank 2 might actually be more like I remember Crank being, it's rougher and messier than I remember it being

Sonic, unsurprisingly I enjoyed this. It's exactly what you expect it to be, mis-matched buddy movie, fish out of water, all that. But the characters are likeable, there's some good lines in there. It's a bit hard to watch Jim Carrey nowadays, and he's just repeating a performance, but he's certainly a better Robotkik than I expected him to be

Might watch a couple of films with the free trial, then ditch it after a couple days. Like I did with the Netflix trial a couple of years ago. I don't really see the point for me, in going beyond trials for the subscriptions. As it is rare I purposely sit down to watch something AKA I typically forget about a given film or show I want to see and where to find it.

MV5BNzlhYjEzOGItN2MwNS00ODRiLWE5OTItYThi

Big Trouble in Little China - 1986

A lot of modern entertainment seems to fetishise the 80's. I don't really get it, as the 90's carries a lot more nostalgia for me. That said, the decade is host to two of my all-time favourite films. This is definitely in the top 5. Although I was 3 when this first came out and so didn't see it at theatrical release, I don't think I was too much older before I saw it. This is practically a checklist of tropes and visual ques I loved then and still do.

D23A42FA-4F1D-4B63-81EA-A748ADAD655C.jpeg

Sin City -2005

I absolutely adore this film! It’s one of my absolute favourites. I remember initially being pulled in because of the visual design of it, the black and white with odd splashes of colour to emphasise certain parts of scenes just wowed me. Still does. The contrast just look incredible and is used at the exact right time’s. 

Looking beyond the visual design I also loved how it was a series of smaller, complete stories showing various parts and levels of the city that all ended up playing into 1 big overarching story. I don’t think I’d ever seen a film done like that before (Tarantino’s are similar though) and I loved it. 

Another point which I really liked and surprised the hell out of me was when I got the special edition DVD on release. It came with graphic novel it’s based on included - the film is line for line the same. This just blew my mind, I couldn’t believe how it could work so well by using basically the same script and scenes from a graphic novel. The execution is just perfect. 

Fucking love it. 

It's a fabulous journey, so many wonderful Lynch moments, and each viewing makes you reflect on something different. As with much of Lynch's work, don't spend too much time analysing a linear narrative, but take the sounds, visuals and emotions created within for an extraordinary experience.

Screenshot_20200604-063435~2.png