passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

On 17/12/2019 at 18:52, mfnick said:

I really, really struggled to get through it. The action scenes were actually boring! So much slow motion! Even the Continuity errors were very obvious and I never notice those usually. and explosions you can see before the car or whatever impacts whatever explodes. The constant cutting was even more headache inducing than normal. & the story was so nonsensical I had no idea what was going on, why stuff was happening or why people were where they were for the most part

Review for every Transformers film. 

I enjoyed No Pain No Gain tho. Well, it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting but certainly a 6 or 7.

Just back from seeing Star Wars:Rise Of Skywalker. Won’t say a word about the story, as spoilers are just the worst.
It was good, for the most part. Some of the plot could be seen a mile away. Some parts were ludicrously unlikely. And once again, like the underused Captain Phasma, it introduced potentially interesting new characters, then did absolutely nothing with them.

Was it on par with the timeless, classic original trilogy? No. But it’s certainly more enjoyable than the abysmal prequel trilogy. So, erm, yeah.

On 18/12/2019 at 14:58, Nag said:

Michael Bay has been trolling for years...?‍♂️

On Saturday I watched Spider-man : Far from Home... it was ok, I guess. I'm not sure if it's a case of diminishing returns from Marvel films for me or if this was just flat out average.

Sorry my comment was aimed at MAF who was saying Aliens was shit. For some reason my phone wasn't showing any replies after that

Not including films I couldn’t get through like Jumanji and Godzilla 2 Aliens is the worst movie I’ve watched this year. It’s boring, too loud, the Aliens are pussys and I hated everyone’s hair in it. The film sucks the big one.

Once upon a time in Hollywood. Not a lot here for me to connect to, I think. Its sort of a rumination on the twilight years of a particular era in Hollywood and how it went away. Or how Tarantino wishes it didn't go away and contrives weird, fantastical situations that that could have happened.

It has all his usual trademarks, and lots of feet. The only thing that was missing was a Funny Games style interruption where someone talks at the camera about what the audience wanted

I saw the new Jumanji, which was perfectly enjoyable brain-off holiday entertainment. They continue to be better than you'd expect.

Other than the Ghostbusters Extinction which I'd seen already, the trailers were completely forgettable or just awful. There was a dull looking comedy with John Cena as a firefighter stuck looking after some kids, that rubbish looking Will Smith & Tom Holland animated film, and whatever the fuck this was featuring  Harrison Ford with a CGI dog:

Been on a horror binge and watched The Conjuring, Annabelle and The Conjuring 2. The Conjuring and Annabel were pretty enjoyable horror fare, TC2 was pretty shit but just about watchable. I want to watch the new Annabelle movie but it’s not on Netflix.

Frankenstein (1931)

During my Xmas shopping, I spy this amazing bargain. The Frankenstein Legacy collection - seven film series (1931-1945) for £10! This one was definitely for me.

So let's start at the beginning. Considering this film is just over an hour long, the story is told surprisingly well. Granted there are some really superfluous characters EG The Baron, the Burgermeister (the former actually does nothing for the story at all) and Victor. I'll come back to that last one in a minute. Meanwhile, 1930's cinematography is a bit ..ropey and some of the scene transitions and jump cuts becomes jarring in certain parts. The problem with this film is I'm more well versed in Hammer Horror. Colin Clive is quite good as Henry Frankenstein (he in fact leaves university early and does not become a Doctor in this adaptation) But he is no Peter Cushing.

Boris Karloff however, shines as The Monster. There is a reason he is the iconic portrayal and the basis for most Frankenstein depictions going forward. On the subject of The Monster, it is also an interesting little time capsule of another era. The brain acquired for his creation being one from a criminal. As such this is described as an "abnormal" brain and has physical indicators within the tissue that clearly define it as such. Popular "scientific" thinking of the time.

Anyway, The name thing. Dr. Victor Frankenstein is 'Henry Frankenstein'. There is a 'Victor' within the film, Victor Moritz, who is portrayed as Henry's best friend. The name Moritz seems almost a homophone (or at least, a nod) of Morris, a character from Dracula.  While at the same time, during one specific scene, Victor is clearly trying to pull Henry's fiance, Elizabeth (at least her name is right). A brief hint at a love triangle that doesn't really service the plot and it is even suggested all three are aware of it. With no ramifications.

Ultimately, this was what I'd expect from one of the classics of the Horror genre and as with all good Frankenstein stories, plays up the pathos for The Monster over the human cast. 8/10

Watched three more movies.

Annabelle Comes Home - about the same quality as all the previous films. 

Hereditary - Now this i loved. Reminded me of one of my favourite films, Don’t Look Now. One of the best films I’ve seen in recent years. I’d give it 9/10.

Jumanji: The Next Level - I enjoyed the first Jumanji reboot and I enjoyed this too, but less. Funny how similar it looked (at times) to Star Wars. 5/10

I watched a couple of films yesterday. The Lighthouse, which is Willem Dafoe being perfectly cast as an old sea dog lighthouse keeper, and Robert Pattinson as his new assistant. It's all black and white and set against the drone of a siren. It's hard to say exactly what the film is about other than madness and paranoia but it's very good 

Zombieland 2 is pleasantly much better than I expected. Maybe not as good as the first film but not the disaster I expected it to be. Its not laugh out loud funny but I suppose few films are, but yeah, not embarrassing 

I also watched Ashes in the Snow which is about the Russian occupation and pillaging of Ukraine (in the 40s, not the more recent attempt). It's good, its got someone from Mr Robot in it, and its a little harsh to say but its been done before, a lot. Its a shame because its well done and well acted, but every beat of it is familiar 

2 minutes ago, Nag said:

I enjoyed the first one a lot, it was one of those rare things where I didn't actually know what it was about before watching it... I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I went to the very last screening of the film at my cinema. I only vaguely heard of the film at the time and thought it sounded interesting. Not only was the screen half full, the audience was also completely silent. That really adds to the atmosphere of the film. When the kids were playing that board game and the lamp fell, I think a handful of adults had minor strokes...

Detective Pikachu

What a really, really enjoyable film! Actually loved it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a masterpiece or anything like that but just as a entertaining film it does it’s job really fucking well. & I’ve not been into Pokémon since Red, Blue & Yellow. Makes me want to pick up “Let’s Go” on Switch now. 
Probably the best game based film ever. Along with MK but in less of a goofy way and more just because it’s genuinely good.

Also if you’ve got a really good HDR10+ TV or Dolby Vision enabled one, it’s brilliant at showing off your set. So there’s that too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oscar Nominations are in:

Best picture

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The Irishman

Parasite

Marriage Story

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Little Women

Ford v Ferrari

Best Actor

Joaquin Phoenix - Joker

Adam Driver - Marriage Story

Leonardo DiCaprio - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Antonio Banderas - Pain and Glory

Jonathan Pryce - The Two Popes

Best Actress

Renee Zellweger - Judy

Charlize Theron - Bombshell

Scarlett Johansson - Marriage Story

Saoirse Ronan - Little Women

Cynthia Erivo - Harriet

Best Director

Martin Scorsese - The Irishman

Bong Joon Ho - Parasite

Quentin Tarantino - Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

Sam Mendes - 1917

Todd Phillips - Joker

Best Supporting Actress

Laura Dern - Marriage Story

Margot Robbie - Bombshell

Florence Pugh - Little Women

Scarlett Johansson - Jojo Rabbit

Kathy Bates - Richard Jewell

Best Supporting Actor

Brad Pitt - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Al Pacino - The Irishman

Joe Pesci - The Irishman

Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Anthony Hopkins - The Two Popes

Best Costume Design

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Little Women

Best Film Editing

The Irishman

Ford v Ferrari

Parasite

Jojo Rabbit

Joker

Best Animated Short

Hair Love

Kitbull

Dcera (Daughter)

Sister

Memorable

Best Live Action Short

Brotherhood

The Neighbors' Window

A Sister

Saria

Nefta Football Club

Best Sound Editing

Ford v Ferrari

Joker

Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Best Sound Mixing

Ford v Ferrari

Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood

Ad Astra

Joker

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Irishman

Jojo Rabbit

Little Women

The Two Popes

Joker

Best Original Screenplay

Marriage Story

Parasite

Knives Out

Best Foreign Language Film

Parasite - South Korea

Pain and Glory - Spain

Les Miserables - France

Honeyland" - North Macedonia

Corpus Christi - Poland

Best Original Song

I'm Gonna Love Me Again - Rocketman

I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away - Toy Story 4

Into the Unknown - Frozen II

Stand Up - Harriet

I'm Standing With You - Breakthrough

Best Original Score

Joker

Little Women

Marriage Story

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Best Animated Feature

Toy Story 4

Klaus

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Missing Link

I Lost My Body

Best Documentary Feature

The Edge of Democracy

American Factory

For Sama

Honeyland

The Cave

Best Documentary Short

In the Absence

Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)

Life Overtakes Me

St Louis Superman

Walk Run Cha-Cha

Best Cinematography

The Irishman

Joker

The Lighthouse

Best Costume Design

Irishman

Joker