passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

On 05/10/2019 at 19:35, OCH said:

I do find it really interesting now that we have had three really different and strong movie portrayals of the same character. Nicholson's Mobster, Ledger's Agent of Chaos and now Phoenix' Insane Joker.

You forgot the best joker, Cesar Romero's clown prince of crime,  and the worst joker, the gangsta shite from suicide squad. Also Hamill's Dark joker

Anyway back on topic what have i watched lately? Oh yes, Collider, a time travel movie that was utter garbage.

Also watched some documentaries lately about video games, Uncle Art (about a retro uk game composer), and Atari: Game Over, about the rise and fall of Atari. Both were enjoyable

? I have minimal exposure to Batman '66 and although that did technically have a Movie, it isn't one I've ever seen or plan to. The Suicide Squad thing is as much a 'Joker' as Krusty the clown...

I do recommend Batman '66. Mainly when you just fancy something lighthearted. My favourite thing about it is how cheesy and campy it is, and how you can tell they all know it is, so overact the seriousness of it.

Suishite squad took me 2 years to even bother with watching. How someone looked at it and said "I'm definitely greenlighting a sequel for this" is beyond me.

DC/WB just need to make Blackest night into a movie, either live action or animated.

I watched a film called Searching yesterday. It's not bad, it's a thriller about a teenage girl who disappears one night. She seems to have been behaving strangely but it's unclear if she ran away or was taken. The novelty of the film is it's all told from computer screens, so lots of video calls and people watching vlogs to move the story along. It was decent though 

I also watched Open Grave. It's not quite what it seems like and I was a bit disappointed by that. Its actually pretty good but its not as grounded as I thought it was going to be. The mystery of it could have been a little better handled, I think that's what stops it being a better film 

I also did the Giant Bomb film & 40s thing for the first time with The Gate because I noticed it was on amazon. I've never seen it before but its pretty decent. Its weird though, it doesn't feel like a kids film in terms of tone, it's not light enough, but it's very kid focused 

I watched What We Do in the Shadows last night on Amazon Prime. In the beginning there were some genuinely very funny jokes but I started losing interest after 30 minutes to the point I wasn’t even watching it by the end I was just on the iPad instead. 

Zombieland: Double Tap

This is how you do a sequel after a long hiatus. Almost as good as the original (which I think very highly of, barring one scene) and given it's been a decade since the first film, the returning cast still play off each other really well. It is strange how Jesse Eisenberg doesn't seem to have aged in ten years? The new characters are all quirky, funny and endearing in their own ways too. The biggest surprise for me? This film doesn't rehash the original plot again, as similar time elapsed sequels have done before (TFA comes to mind as one of the bigger culprits). Really enjoyed this and got a few genuine laughs from it too. 8.5/10

Terminator: Dark Fate

Sigh... and relax, It is one of the good ones!

The opening five minutes are amazing! Audible gasps were heard (one of them may have been mine). Gradually, as the film ran on, I thankfully started to forget Genesys, Salvation and lastly, Rise of the Machines. The latter, while not as terrible as the other two, was the last film to be usurped by this. Chiefly because the antagonist of this film is likely what they were trying to do with T3, but done right. Although quite a long film, it does run at a decent pace.  I didn't like everything about this film, although none of the principal actors were terrible, it was missing something though. However, given T2 is my favourite film ever and T1 is likewise a very high bar, Dark Fate isn't upto their level. Not even close. I just didn't feel "it".

I'd say it is the best Terminator film since T2. I don't think that is a particularly high bar, but your mileage may vary. 7/10

I've watched a few films this weekend of varying quality. Jurassic World, whatever the most recent one is called, well made but awful. I'll give it credit for a couple of things, at points it really feels like a big budget Spielberg film from the 90s, and the antagonist points out that the two heroes aren't exactly free from blame for what's going on. 

It's just dumb, even for Jurassic Park. Paper thin characters, comic book villains. I don't think it helps that the two leads aren't the most likable actors 

That said I also watched The Village, Bryce Dallas Howard is in that too and I think it's the only time I've ever liked a character she's played. I'm not sure why she's never managed to produce any warmth since but she's the best thing in The Village. I mentioned to my housemate that I'd watched it and he went off on one about the twist. I didn't mind it, I saw it coming, but I'd enjoyed the film and what it was doing prior to that. It doesn't need the twist to be honest, it certainly doesn't add anything 

The best film of the 3, and one I might need to rewatch because I was only half paying attention at points and I think it might be legitimately good is an Antonio Banderas film called Automata. Its Bladerunner and Ghost in the Shell but on a budget. I really recommend it but with the caveat that I wasn't fully paying attention so could be really wrong 

Is it just me or is John Wick 2 really boring? I slept through the first 30 minutes or so but I was also just quite tired. But now I’ve done the second 30 minutes and now I’m getting tired again so at this point I’m convinced it’s the film’s fault.