passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

14 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

His stuff is trying to be more emotionally upsetting than the gross out stuff in Saw.

Except, that is almost exclusively at odds with the performance of the actors, in both films. Especially in Midsommar, Christian (played by Jack Reynor) in particular is basically a wooden board with a face. Although he is at the centre of the "funniest" scene in the entire film, the sex scene.

Or perhaps I'm desensitised enough to fake violence/gore that enjoy it on an aesthetic level instead. I've never seen the ultra violence of Hostel or the body horror of Troma movies and thought "oh god, that's so real". I'm more "Wow! His head just popped like a grape?". Practical visual effects was a field I wanted to get into, during my art schooling years.

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Ok. So depending on your tastes regarding Tarantino films, this will either be right up your street or a complete subversion of your expectations. The finale certainly ticked the latter box for me. Not in a bad way, but in a "I didn't see that coming" way. DiCaprio and Pitt are fantastic in this. Both are quite nuanced roles that are very different from each other and equally compelling. Other than the two leads are his usual roll call of famous cameo roles. From the typical mainstays: Michael Madsen and Kurt Russell, to Al Pacino in a very subdued role.

For the longest time I would watch trailers for the film and not really have any idea what it was actually about. Later trailers name dropped Margot Robbie's character name (Sharon Tate) and later revealed The Family themselves. From that point, I thought I knew what this was going to be about. One of his more fast paced films. It isn't.

So, the checklist:

Stunning cinematography: Yes

Great Soundtrack: Yes

Feet: Yes...

Visceral Scene: Yes!

It is a long film and certainly won't be for everyone. Then again, that can be the case for most of his films. 8.5/10

I'm really interested to see where they go with it now. 

I don't know what Neo would be.  The ending of Revelations was kinda confusing because my memory of it is kinda vague.  I'm sure some kind of truce was made with the machines because the Weaving had become a kind of virus but for some reason I'm thinking Neo sacrificed himself for the truce to happen... but I'm not positive now. 

Man, Revelations is anime as fuck. 

My co worker told me he watchs all the films annually. I reported him to HR. But due to his unusual and pointless expertise I can say that the ending of the last film was indeed a truce where the humans would selectively wake up people who wanted to be released and allow the machines to harvest the ones happy to be ignorant.

7 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

? That looks pretty good tbf. I think Satanism is idiotic but hard not to route for them against American Christianity 

If you haven't already, have a scan of the comments section of the video. The trailer clearly woke up the lunatic fringe ?

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

AKA Jump scare: The Movie

AKA Adult Goosebumps 

Yikes. I think this is yet another film I've been suckered into seeing by that 'Del Toro' name and visual flair, being attached. This was awful. It veers so far away from being horror it becomes comedy. This is a 15 Cert film and I think it could have been a 12A. The "scary" part of the title is nonexistent, outside from loud, telegraphed jump scares.  It is essentially a series of short stories with a tenuous, overarching narrative. Hence the 'Goosebumps' part...

For crying out loud, it even sequel baits and, as with The Predator last year, there is nothing to warrant even a second viewing, let alone a sequel. I know I don't do spoilers BUT for crying out loud someone is hugged to death... HUGGED!. No scream, no body. Just a hug and he disappears...? 4/10

The 'four' is for the Del Toro visuals with only two monsters in the film. The other two monsters are really nothing special. 

Crawl

This was more like it. A taut and clever thriller, that gets to the point very quickly (roughly 90 minutes) and sticks with it til the finale. The principal two protagonists are decent enough in their roles and the premise lends itself better than I was expecting to adding tension. The real stars are the Alligators themselves. Which although not real, are given respect when it comes to their size and natural abilities. Certainly the most enjoyable film I've been to in a while. 8/10 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently IT part 2 isn't good. What a shame, but somewhat predictable because the adults section of the book is pretty much just them meeting up and trying to remember wtf happened. Hard to see how you make a really good horror out of that, other than the creepy part in the old lady's house (which was spoiled by a trailer anyway).

Will still see it probably.