passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

Watched about two thirds of Night at the Museum before my attention drifted to the Tour de France, but I enjoyed it. Robin Williams gives another motivational speech (“I’m made of wax. What are you made of?”) and Ricky Gervais for the brief moments he’s in the film is very funny (“There’s nothing funny about Little Bighorn”).

The Intruder

Lame.

Although no immediate films come to mind, I do consider Dennis Quaid a good actor. Good, not great. 

Now although his role is generic and any character 'twists' telegraphed well in advance, he is the only thing in this film that is any good at all. Terrible pacing, pointless subplots and the tertiary characters are all pretty awful and/or forgettable in their own right. The two protagonists (Michael Ealy and Meagan Good) are both poorly written, badly acted and have next to no chemistry as a believable couple. Probably the worst film I've seen this year. 3/10

Was going to rent a movie tonight but didn’t know whether to get Alita Battle Angel or Captain Marvel. They’re both £5 off Amazon, they’re both films I’ve wanted see for a long time. Hmm

Bro, go buy a bag of sweets and a 2 litre bottle of [PREFFERED BEVERAGE] and get both, treat yo'self.

I just watched Glass. It was okay. I enjoyed it but whereas the comic book stuff was a novelty when Unbreakable came out it's kind of heavy handed and a bit cringe now. It was just over two hours long and it didn't drag, Sarah Paulson was really great and I think she carried the narrative of the film. It had one of the more predictable Shamalamama twists but it didn't feel like the whole thing existed only to serve the twist either. 

I watched Tenki no Ko (aka “Weathering With You”) in the cinema yesterday morning, the new film from Makoto Shinkai (Your Name, The Garden of Words etc).

It was good. The animation was beautiful and the soundtrack from Radwimps is lovely. It feels overall about as good as Your Name, although maybe the central concept is a little bit stranger... I really should sit down and watch all of his films again.

Midsommar

I finally got around to seeing this. On the plus side, yes, this is a better film than Hereditary. Which is mostly down to the subject matter, more than the composite parts of the film. There is no Toni Collette here. No "star" to focus your gaze upon. What we end up with, at least with the American cast, is a group of wholly unlikable people. I'm not really sure if that is by design or not, as none of them are really going to set the world on fire with their acting. The lead male protagonist, for example, struggles beyond one facial expression and his tone doesn't really change in situations where it absolutely should. I give this film some slack over Hereditary, because (A) I do enjoy practical effect generated gore, and (B) The Wicker Man (1973) is one of my favourite films ever. This film takes a lot of cues from that, not the least of which being the general tone of the final third of the film. I doubt I will see another film by this director now though 6/10

Just now, wiivo 2.0 said:

Better than Hereditary.. 6/10? You’re mad you are. 

Oh, no. I really didn't like Hereditary. It got lower than a '6' from me, last year.

It did have the same issue Godzilla KOTM had, the primary cast are all awful. The Swedish people were all quite charming, even though (A) I couldn't tell you a single name I heard (B) Even some plot points connected to them, either led nowhere or were left completely unexplained EG the inbred, the significance of the books and the purpose most of their customs/rituals had. Although it was in one of the smaller screens, with one late night screening a day IE this is probably Midsommar's last week at the cinema, there were about three empty seats. Which was very surprising.

In contrast, I saw Hereditary as a Limitless screening and throughout the film, the audience I was with were actively laughing at how bad it was. Even the scene in the car got a chuckle. The dialogue was so hammy and overacted. Towards the end, people were even checking their phones and quietly talking amongst themselves. Even The Predator (the worst film I saw last year, bar none) didn't leave people that bored and disinterested. If anything the audience I was with in that film were so stunned into silence you could have heard a pin drop.

I had a very good audience experience watching Hereditary at Prince Charles. People seemed super into it.

I dont really get the whole thing where people laugh at horrible violent shit. Just seems like edgelords fronting to me. All the violence in Hereditary and Midsommar is really upsetting to me cause it reminds you how fragile we are. It's like stuff from liveleak or a snuff film.

My Hereditary audience was the least engaged audience I've ever seen. Even bad to average films like Secret of Marrowbone or Slaughterhouse Rulez, the audience at least remained attentive to what was onscreen. I don't even think they specifically laughed at the violence of Hereditary, per say. They were simply not interested in what they were watching. As I noted when I saw that film, I imagine many people went into it being missold on what they should expect, by the trailers.

I did enjoy the violence and gore of Midsommar (Mr. Bloodlust, that I am). It reminded me of when I saw Overlord, in that respect. The old couple with the cliff scene in particular stood out. 

I just think there's a big difference between what most people think of when they say "extreme violence" and the stuff in Ari Asters films tho. His stuff is trying to be more emotionally upsetting than the gross out stuff in Saw.

Spoiler

A man jumps off a cliff but accidentally survives with his legs destroyed and with massive internal damage. He's crushed from the inside but not quite dead and his eyes are full of blood. It's very real feeling.