passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fuelled

mfnick

Got this through yesterday. It’s brilliant. Looks and feels great, always preferred this to Mario Kart and even from my short go last night I stand by this thought even more now. Loads better than Team Sonic Racing too. Transformed is a different matter though.. 

Anyone who enjoyed it back in the day get on it. Just as good as I remember it being. 

Negatives? It hitches every now and again surprisingly (playing on a X1X). & the load times are excruciating! I’m not one to normally complain too much about long loads as long as they’re infrequent but here they are frequent and seriously bad. To the point I could see it ruining the “quick go” and “just one more race” elements causing me to play it less. We’ll see. 

54 minutes ago, Blakey said:

Playing Crash on Xbox should be a punishable offence ?

Prefer the pad and games perform better on the X. That outweighs lineage for me. 

Speaking of controls, another slight annoyance, can’t find a way to map boost/slide to the left trigger. There’s only 2 configurations with no option to change any buttons. It maps to Left Bumper. The default is ‘A’ as accelerate (bleurgh) and left bumper as boost and the second configuration is RT accelerate (better!) and LB and A as boost/slide. Not a deal breaker but annoying and uncomfortable. 

Crash has been multiplatform for over 15 years and there are twice as many multiplatform Crash games than PS-exclusive Crash games. I think we'll be fine if we play this on a heathen console.

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

Speaking of controls, another slight annoyance, can’t find a way to map boost/slide to the left trigger. There’s only 2 configurations with no option to change any buttons. It maps to Left Bumper. The default is ‘A’ as accelerate (bleurgh) and left bumper as boost and the second configuration is RT accelerate (better!) and LB and A as boost/slide. Not a deal breaker but annoying and uncomfortable. 

You should be able to change that with the controller configuration thing that's build into the Xbox OS (under apps or something). Mirror's Edge Catalyst idiotically had jump and slide on the left shoulder buttons so I used that to switch the buttons around and have everything on the right side. It's a bit annoying if you play a couple of games in parallel but it's better than nothing.

@MaryokutaiUnfortunately I’m always swapping between games so that’s a no go. Hopefully will get used to it after a bit. 

@one-armed dwarfYea that’s the one. There’s 2 hop/slide buttons. You press and hold one to slide then tap the other one to boost during your slide. Best option I can find on Xbox is to have LB and A, so I’m using A to drift and tapping LB to boost. Holding LB/L1 doesn’t feel right to me. It’d just feel a lot more natural and comfortable for me if it was on A and LT instead. So I could drift using LT (like all

over racers I play) and then tap A to boost. 

Ive just read this loads really fast on PS4... Might have to research that, if it does I’ll be selling me Xbox copy and getting that. Switch is meant to be terrible for loads too. 

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

@MaryokutaiUnfortunately I’m always swapping between games so that’s a no go. Hopefully will get used to it after a bit. 

You can do profiles though. A remapping for CTR that you pick whenever you play it. Or you just remap one controller and use that controller for CRT.

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

You can do profiles though. A remapping for CTR that you pick whenever you play it. Or you just remap one controller and use that controller for CRT.

I had no idea about this. Thanks 

I got this. It's good, but I have a problem where the more detailed visuals makes it harder to see what's ahead of you. Some of the more green looking tracks camouflage the turbo pads and poison bottles

It's weird also to play a game I haven't played in ten years and remember things like how to chain boosts and stuff.

The chain boosts are hugely satisfying when you get a few together. Love it.

Had a update yesterday, made the loads a lot better. Only takes about 3-5seconds to get in a race now. But at the end when before the podium screen it can take between 10-35 seconds. Strange. How are people finding it on PS4? 

Think I might need to clear my cache as well, Horizon has been taking a bit longer to start up lately too.

Last night I was trying to play online on PS4 and it was a lagfest, but that could have been on my side.

I almost won a race in Cortex Castle but the guy in first shat a bottle in my face.

Some of these people are too good, need to get in on these well-timed bottle shitting skills

Have been playing this quite a bit since Friday, really can’t put it down.

As someone that never played the OG back on PlayStation in the day the learning curve has been quite extreme. I started off Online - which probably wasn’t the best of ideas - and goddamn it was tough, humbling and humiliating. I pride myself on being good at racing games (one of the few genres of games I’m actually good at) and as I’ve played Mario Kart for years and am very good at that I guess I thought that would somehow translate to this? But boy I was wrong.

I just felt completely like a duck out of water at the beginning. I didn’t know any of the tracks, the shortcuts, what the power-ups did or anything. I didn’t even know how to boost in the slightest and pootled around in last place for the first 10 races or so experimenting with it, trying to get it to activate and not knowing what I was doing wrong.

The boost system itself is definitely more complicated than MK, requiring you to hold down L1/R1 to build up the boost bar then pressing the other button to activate  it when the boost bar is in the red. It requires a lot of practice because you have to focus on timing the boost correctly so it doesn’t fail and also on the action going on in front of you in the race at the same time. 

The tracks have been great too. There are obvious parallels with Mario Kart in there like a Bower’s Castle-like, a Wario Stadium-like and a few others that feel like they could be ripped straight out of MK aesthetically but they're designed fantastically well, they’re brimming with colour, detail and most are incredibly memorable and distinct. 

It’s just so incredibly addictive and so goddamn fun. I absolutely love that feeling of gradually improving over the last few days and finally got my 1st win online last night which felt damn amazing. When you chain some boosts together around a track and over some jumps just on the edge of control it feels truly phenomenal.

I haven't spent much time with the Adventure mode or anything as Online is always such a huge draw for me but it seems an interesting setup similar to Diddy Kong Racing from what I’ve seen heard so I hope to give it a go at some point.

I really didn’t expect to enjoy this as much as I have, I have pretty much exclusively played Mario Kart as my only Karting game experience throughout my life and I’m so glad I’ve experienced another game from a completely different series that is just as bit as good as MK.

All been really super quick to get in and out of games on PS4 for me @mfnick. I have had a very small amount of lag during races but that’s about it.

The boost mechanic is what makes this game so good IMO. It’s much more fun and involving than just holding drift and waiting for different levels of boost like in every other Kart racer. The track design is fantastic too. Surprised how well I remember some of them! 

The adventure mode is great and this is one of the very few racing games where chasing time trial times is actually compelling. Finding the CTR letters can be a right bastard sometimes and makes you learn the levels better and teaches you where shortcuts are as well. Just really smartly designed. 

As for loads, since the update and clearing my cache it has got a lot better and I can put up with it now but they’re still pretty long. Not worth paying a bit more and swapping to the PS4 version now though.