passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Devolver Bootleg

DANGERMAN

released during E3 Devolver Bootleg is a compilation of fake bootlegs of Devolver's more famous games, based on what I've played that mostly means retro takes on some Devolver games, but there are a few reimaginings in there. 

Hotline Milwaukee is very similar to Hotline Miami, more retro, and unfortunately with worse controls. Hotline Miami was fast and largely reliable and responsive, Hotline Milwaukee relies more on 8-way movement that feels like needs to be dialed in, as such it's not as responsive and you'll die because you weren't facing the way you needed to be. Aside from that it's pretty faithful, more of the same

Enter The Gun Dungeon is a rogue-like dual stick shooter, only it doesn't use dual sticks it just uses one, and isn't all it could be entirely because of that. It's basically Binding of Isaac, retro-ified, except you lock in to a direction when you shoot, meaning you're way more vulnerable and while you can shoot and move, you can't aim and move. I'm also shit at it, but I do blame the controls, I suspect I could break the back of it eventually like I did with Binding of Isaac

Shootyboots is Downwell. I'm not entirely sure how Downwell plays because I've never played it but in Shootyboots you're in a giant boot leaping down a giant well. You charge up to jump and can shoot for a period while airborne. I liked this, it's not amazing but it's a decent enough retro take on what already looked like a retro game

Catsylvania I am shit at. It's a slow, clunky Castlevania-em-up with a large slice of Ghouls and Ghosts added in. You're a cat in a suit of armour, get hit and you lose the armour but are still a hench cat with a sword. It's a bit dull and slow, maybe it gets better as you get further in because I really didn't get very far at all

Luftrousers is a retro (almost Atari) version of the Vita classic Luftrausers. It's pretty similar, just slower and easier early on. It reminds me of Amstrad classic Harrier Attack, except without bombs. Actually there are bombs but I couldn't work out how to fire them. Also I don't think it saves your progress which is a bit of a shame because I spent a while playing it. Initially there's only a handful of enemies, and you're rarely attacked by more than one or two at once, once you get to level 10 it starts throwing UFOs at you as soon as you dispatch one, you're not left alone for a second and don't have the range of movement you do in the original. I liked it though, it's probably the one that would work as a standalone game better than any of the others I've played

There's a few others, a couple of 2 player games and one based on Ape Out/Donkey Kong Jnr that I'll get around to at some point