passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Observation

DisturbedSwan

About 3-4 hours into this so far so thought I'd make a thread (my first in quite awhile!).

To start off its made by the same Dev Team that made 2017's Stories Untold and some of the same developers that made 2014's Alien Isolation so I knew going in it's from a studio with some pedigree. 

You play as SAM. Essentially the 'Mother' computer AI of the Ship you're on - the Observation. You control numerous cameras situated around the ship and can also take control of remote sphere's that enable you to navigate around - in first person - the ships claustrophobic, dimly lit hallways. You interact with the game in a kind of point and click style, navigating from camera to camera around the station to try to find a passcode, a bit of evidence or open a hatch to advance the story. From time to you'll also interface with certain computers and have to complete little mini-games in order to progress. 

As for the story, I don't want to give too much away but as SAM you'll assist Astronaut Emma Fisher around the station, helping her in whatever way you can. As you progress, more and more things come to light about the crew, their plight, their mission and why the ship is in the state it's in. Things are quite tense around the station with a pervading sense of dread and foreboding, you never quite feel comfortable exploring but at the same time aren't exactly terrified either, I wouldn't really say it's a scary game at all so far - which is perhaps a little disappointing but it is definitely tense.

It's definitely a weird one so far, there's a lot to take in and a lot of confusing aspects to the story that I'm still trying to piece together as I go along. It's consistently engaging, mysterious and compelling though and I find myself thinking about what discovery I'll find during my next session which is definitely a good sign. The way it plays isn't particularly revolutionary or anything but the quirky little computer mini-games are really well designed with that 80s Alien-esque aesthetic that gives them a character of their own and searching for items using the cameras is akin to old school adventure games. We'll see how it pans out but at the moment this is definitely up there as one of my most memorable games of this year, there's not really too much else like it.

Some pics:

Spoiler

Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.12 - 17.28.25.86.png

Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.12 - 16.37.22.04.png

Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.12 - 16.38.11.80.png

Desktop Screenshot 2019.06.12 - 16.43.16.92.png

• 1 year later...

Played and completed this yesterday. A nice 5+ hours experience. Easiest genre to compare it too is a walking simulator. The controls/camera can be very disorienting at times but I actually think it’s by design in this. Doesn’t make it less frustrating though. Could do with a speed up button for the static cameras too, can be painful looking around rooms at times. 

It’s got a great visual style, I absolutely loved the sound design too. It’s just eerily quiet for the most part, think Gravity of you’ve seen that. 

The story is really strange, creepy, cool, weird & interesting. Had me hooked. Definitely recommend giving it a go if Swans post has you interested. Get it quick while it’s on game pass too. Leaves this month. 

7/10