passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cadence of Hyrule

spatular

I got the hyrule version today, seems like it’s supposed to be a bit easier, the amount of times I’ve died on the second screen is very high, I’m not sure if I’m getting better or it just seems that way because I’ve unlocked better weapons through perserverence. Also one time I found a shop but had no money, now I have money but I’m miles away from the shop dammit. I’ll die soon so that won’t matter anyway. Not really sure what I think of it yet, never got the original because I don’t like rogue likes, but I really like rhythm games, but it looked like I’d hate it, then they add Zelda music and make it easier so I got it, initially i was right and I hated it for a bit as I died over and over again straight away, as said I’m doing better now and not hating it as much, probably because I have better weapons and more hearts.

Oh yeah I started off as Zelda, which seems to make it really difficult, started again as link and the shield not running out of power helps a lot.

I picked this up and started playing it the other day.

I'm terrible on CotN so god knows what I was thinking, but the soundtrack work on that was ace and I'm determined to learn how to play this one properly.

The music I've heard so far is indeed fantastic.

And I picked Link, purely because he was on the left, no other reason really.

nice one for splitting the threads up Hendo.

the difficulty at the start is rediculous, then i got a spear so i could attack form 2 spaces away instead of 1 which makes it a lot easier, you dont need to know the patterns as well with a space buffer, then i got a poisoned spear so i could attack from 2 spaces away then run away and wait for them to die, again making the game easier, played most of the game like this and it was pretty fun, i enjoyed it (also bottles with health potions and fairies helped, especially for bosses). then near the end i got some super over powered sword that possibly made the last bit too easy. so yeah i finished it but don't really feel like i learnet to play it properly, with a close range weapon it is so much harder, you'd need to know exactly what the enemy is going to do, and harder still having to time your blocks with zelda. 

the music is great.

On 17/06/2019 at 01:15, spatular said:

the difficulty at the start is rediculous, then i got a spear so i could attack form 2 spaces away instead of 1 which makes it a lot easier, you dont need to know the patterns as well with a space buffer

Listened to two of the Giant Bomb people complain that it’s too short and a little easy, so went back and grinded to get that better weapon and yeah, it’s much easier. Still dying a fair bit but it seems much more doable now.

I’ve also upgraded my health a couple of times.

And yeah, the music is amazing. Could be soundtrack of the year.

Watching the GB Quick Look and seeing there is a mode where you can play this without having to time button presses to beat made the game a lot more appealing for me. But then I guess also what’s the point since it is primarily a rhythm game? 

There are already games like it without the rhythm.  I played a few on mobile and they're okay but turning it into a rhythm game is what makes these games stand out.  I guess I'm saying if you wanna play something like this without the rhythm there are plenty of options (of course without the tunes and Zelda world) so to get the most from the premium price you gotta be down with the music.

I actually don't find rhythm to be too bad.  It's placing yourself correctly in quite a brief window that is the problem.  I'm quite a slow thinker so it's a big hurdle for me, unless I play it lots and build up a muscle memory for certain scenarios.  I guess that's what I do for fighting games so I should have the transferable skills to git fund here.  Maybe I should commit a week to Crypt.

• 1 month later...

Oh boy, this is fun :)

I nabbed the demo as I really wasn’t sure about it at all. Turns out, amazing music and oddly fantastic to play! 

Only on the first map (assuming there are others at some stage or maybe it expands) and currently in the first temple.