passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes

Hendo

Finally, after years of watching videos of other people play this, bought the Switch version and had my first go of this with a couple of mates.

Initially, we had the bomb defuser holding the Switch out of the dock but as there are two couches in my mate’s living room, eventually just settled on sitting on the couch not facing the TV and either using a laptop or phone for the manual.

If you don’t know what it is, one person can see the bomb and has to cut wires and press buttons. The other person (or people) either download and print out the bomb manual or view it on a screen and have to guide the bomb defuser by communicating what the bomb holder is looking at. Colours of wires, how many, etc.

It’s a manic affair and best if you swap over a few times, as then the bomb defuser will know what information the manual guy is really after and which information is superfluous.

On the PC and PS4, it’s playable in VR which is probably the best way to play it. But we figured out we could actually play it together on Skype with only one copy.

It really starts ramping up in difficulty, throwing memory puzzles at you, morse code, etc and we got as far as extra modules you had to keep an eye on that couldn’t be solved from the manual. There’s these things called “needy modules” where they’ll be like a short timer on it and before it gets to 0 and blows up the bomb, you have to hammer a button to reset it. That’s along with the modules that will actually disarm the bomb. Plus the lights will occasionally go out for a few seconds. Or the alarm clock next to the bomb will go off really loudly so you have to put the bomb down and hit snooze on the alarm.

It’s fantastic but I’m glad I played with people I have good friendships with!

Yeah it’s still maddeningly stressful. Especially when the lights go out or the alarm goes off.

We decided next time we play I’ll come prepared. I’m gonna download the manual, stick it on my USB key, take it to work and print it off. Use the work laminator and maybe even put it in a binder. Might even steal some dry wipe markers as some of the modules you could really do with making notes.