passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Contra: Rogue Corps

HandsomeDead

Another indulgent thread. 

A new Contra!  I've just done a little digging on it because when I saw it on the Direct I thought it looked like something outsourced but I found a name of one of the leads it's made in house at Konami and being worked on by a Contra veteran.

So I'm actually quite psyched to play this despite not quite being able to parse out the nuances of the gameplay in the trailer.

It looks dumb as fuck I love it. 

I was surprised when it came up and said contra (which I only found out recently is probotector). Looks dumb and fun. 

As a side note I heard recently on a podcast, I think tcgs, say that it looked like ps1 graphics. I hate that hyperbolic shit argument that’s normally 2 generations down from the truth. 

• 2 months later...

It's just a shame the demo is mostly the tutorial area. 

It does generally feel a bit like Neo Contra.  But in the demo you're mostly fighting undead so there isn't much projectile dodging until the boss so I hope there is less of that in the full game. 

An odd change to Neo is that to hit airborn or high up enemies you switch to your rocket launcher to take them out but I preffered it just being on a button like before.  It meant you were just locking onto things while moving around and hitting a button to kill them which meant for faster and more varied waves. I think in theory it means you can use your other weapon on ground targets too but I'd didn't see any need to do that. 

The dash with I-frames is maybe a bit too good as I didn't find myself penalised for using it a lot and I don't mind the weapon overheating mechanic as I'm down for some slightly more mindful shooting, and it takes a lot to overheat it though the penalty is a long cool down. 

It seems like it could be a lot of fun but it looks like the game is going to be built around customisable weapons and they had none of that in the demo so you can't really experience what toys you're actually going to be playing with. 

Couldn’t find it on Xbox :(

Will give it another try or try another, cheers.

Edit - found it on phone app. Was due to the fucking terrible Xbox search function. I should have known just putting Contra in somehow wouldn’t be good enough for the Xbox’s piece of shit search ?. How it decides I want Witcher context before Contra is beyond me. Doesn’t even show Contra under Contra. *Sigh*

2293CCEB-AF3A-4B31-9BDD-E4C13FD8B229.png

2B4444F0-B936-4B86-9772-AC5C0EFEEDB1.png

I’ve played the demo now and it has to be seen to be believed. This is one of the ugliest games I’ve played. It looks 480p with scenery made for consoles from 2 generations ago. Everything is a fucking blur.

Even in the short demo there’s enough technical flaws and awful design to warrant never even considering picking this up for 50p.

A damn shame. 

Yeah the demo doesn’t exactly make you think “yep, this is worth buying day one”.

I’ll rent it. But it doesn’t really feel like Contra. And they’re trying way too hard to be “wacky” just for the sake of it. There were even a few “fucks” thrown out in the dialogue during the demo. Which felt weird in a Contra game. 

• 2 weeks later...

It has Contra veterans working on it. 

I've heard Giant Bomb make the same criticism.  Is that really what the general concensus is?  It looks like they've changed the enemy flow so you don't need to fire all the time.  Why is this such an issue besides previous Contra games not doing it? 

EDIT: Right now I'm gonna say this is gonna be one of those games that has the wrong criticisms aimed at it. 

It reminds me of Devils Third.  Not a good great game I guess but too many mainstream critics have no idea how to critic games like this, and end up talking bollocks, and didn't address actual problems and mainly criticised mechanics that weren't actually bad (which then, potentially, makes other games doing a good job look bad). 

I've been following this game a bit but I've been really disappointed by those that got to review it.  Not that I'm looking for a positive review, but the criticisms have just been pretty bad.