passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Mega Man 11

Maf

I couldn’t find a thread for this so if there is please merge as appropriate

After half a dozen game overs I finally beat the Block Man level and this game is really good. I’m a bit mixed on the modern take on it. For reference I got in with MM9 and MM10 so even though I’m not an old school fan 8-bit-ish Mega Man is what I know and like. 

And even though the game looks really nice and sounds really great, it didn’t quite scratch that itch in the same way as those other games did. The music is a big part of why I like this series and even though it is good in this game, it’s definitely not quite as catchy or, maybe a odd term to use when describing Mega Man. When you play these games well and you decimate the enemies, and you slip through the cracks in the obstacles and the really energetic and fiery music is playing in the background it really makes me feel like a damn superhero.

This is not to say the music is bad, I quite liked it, but it didn’t have that same kick or creativity to it as MM9 or MM10. 

And as much as I really like the way the game looks and the fresh modern style sitting through that opening cutscene was the hardest thing in the game so far. Holy shit. 

However the gameplay seems all there for me and I really, really enjoyed what I played so far of it. Even if I had forgotten what it’s like to learn a Mega Man level. Painful. Fun. But a lot of just getting slaughtered very quickly and then being like “What the fuck just happened?” and then it happens a second time and you start to see the gaps in it, bit more death, bit more trying and the execution fits in and then you blow whatever the challenge was away like it was nothing and it’s awesome.

The gear shift system, hmm. Undecided. At first I thought it would be there to make the game easier, but instead it’s more like an extension of abilities rather than a panic mode button. Even if you can slow down time for a few seconds, when you’re on 1-hit left, the boss is coming for you and you still don’t really know how to beat it then it didn’t seem to matter. That’s why instead of something that makes the game easier for new players, it more feels like a super ability to be used by advanced players instead. 

Which is fine by me because the times I used it, even if not very helpful still felt like I was cheating and would prefer not to use if it possible.

Anyway, here’s me beating the Block Man stage for the first time.