passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Deathloop

DisturbedSwan

The guy with the beard is Huber, yes he is unfiltered hype merchant and it gets a bit much IMO. I like that video where he gets emotional when Shenmue III gets announced but that's it lol.

This is my first hearing that it's a roguelike so I dunno, my personality prevents me from enjoying those games I think.

I watched a couple of the previews and it seems very Hitman to me to a degree I wasn't really expecting. 

The whole game seems to be based on repeating certain times of day on the island to find and scope out your targets like you would do in a Hitman level on your first run through when you're not sure when/where the targets will be. Learning patterns on where they go, what they do etc. throughout their daily routine, it then seems possible to nudge them in certain directions so you can potentially take them out all in one go, in the video I watched they mentioned that you can convince multiple targets to attend a party in the evening so you can take 3/4 of them out in one go. 

What I'm not sure of is whether these patterns change once the loop finishes or not, I know they mentioned in one of the videos that you can eavesdrop on conversations, picking up codes (much like Hitman too) for doors, safes etc. and once you have a code won't change, enabling you to open a route for you to explore. 

Really intriguing stuff, I'm a big Hitman fan so this is ticking all my boxes at the moment. Shaping up to be something special. 

Game Informer: Some info on what items/weapons you can keep when you have to start over.

When Colt dies, he loses all the weapons and powers he acquired during that loop. However, players don’t have to start each day off from square one. Throughout Colt’s journey, he'll also acquire a material called Residuum, and Colt can spend Residuum on his favorite weapons and powers, allowing him to retain those tools from one loop to the next. Residuum is a rare resource so players might have to think twice before they use it. 

Residuum pairs well with another system in the game called Reprise. During each loop, Colt has a handful of Reprises, which function a bit like extra lives. When Colt dies for the first time in a loop, time rewinds a few seconds and Colt can tackle that challenge again. However, when Colt uses a Reprise, he drops any of the Residuum he was carrying, and he’ll need to travel back to the place where he died and collect his valuables – a system similar to recovering your souls in games like Dark Souls. If Colt fails to retrieve his dropped Residuum, he’ll lose it permanently.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still completely cold on this game, even if it drops a Definitive Edition on Game Pass in a years time I know it won't get touched... there's just something about this type that kills all interest.

9 minutes ago, Nag said:

I'm still completely cold on this game, even if it drops a Definitive Edition on Game Pass in a years time I know it won't get touched... there's just something about this type that kills all interest.

Same. Maybe reviews will change my mind but as of now could not be less interested. I think Gamepass is the only way I would try it at this point. 

No, see, it doesn’t matter what game it is if it gets straight 10’s then I have to know. It could be Lego Barbie’s Card Battling Online Only Chess Simulator if a game breaks Metacritic I got to know.

Based purely on the trailers I’ve seen up to now though it would need to score super high for me to care

As a big fan of Arkane’s previous games I can’t wait for this. I think if you’ve played and enjoyed Prey, Dishonoured and/or Dishonoured 2 you’ll dig this. 

Their games always seem difficult to market and show what is great about them though which has resulted in the mediocre sales of their past titles, I don’t expect this to do gangbusters either. 

But yeah, it’s fine if you dig it, it’s fine if you don’t. Previews have been very positive, will be interesting to see how the reviews go.

It's tonally and stylistically almost diametrically opposed to Dishonored and especially Prey though. It still has the Arkane essence in that it seems very systems driven by giving you both a lot of tools and options to tackle encounters, but as a game there's absolutely nothing outside of the pure mechanics that draw me to it. And while that is technically the important part a game still has to speak to you on some level. It's the same with Redfall. They both look more marketable than previous Arkana games but also way less interesting to me.

Watched some of Alanah’s video. So it’s mainly a mix of Hitman, Dishonoured with some Majora’s Mask throw in?

Hitman in the style than there is a huge map with a target and the player needs to work out the best way to kill them. Except there are multiple targets instead of 1. 

Dishonoured because they clearly lifted a lot of those mechanics, movement, controls, animations and abilities right out of those games and put it in this one.

With a little Majora’s Mask because if you can’t kill all targets in a day then it resets. I don’t know what happens if it resets I didn’t get that far in the video. 

Well it’s good to have a better understanding of the game because I thought it was a multiplayer rogue lite (Maybe it still is, I watched 5 minutes, I dunno) but at least I’m a little clearer on what this actually is. I had zero idea watching the trailers.

Still can’t say it moves the needle for me much. Will still watch the reviews but 5 minute demo and explanation hasn’t done enough to raise interest. 

On 27/08/2021 at 22:00, Maf said:

Watched some of Alanah’s video. So it’s mainly a mix of Hitman, Dishonoured with some Majora’s Mask throw in?

Hitman in the style than there is a huge map with a target and the player needs to work out the best way to kill them. Except there are multiple targets instead of 1. 

Dishonoured because they clearly lifted a lot of those mechanics, movement, controls, animations and abilities right out of those games and put it in this one.

With a little Majora’s Mask because if you can’t kill all targets in a day then it resets. I don’t know what happens if it resets I didn’t get that far in the video. 

Well it’s good to have a better understanding of the game because I thought it was a multiplayer rogue lite (Maybe it still is, I watched 5 minutes, I dunno) but at least I’m a little clearer on what this actually is. I had zero idea watching the trailers.

I think you've pretty much nailed it with the mix of Dishonoured, Hitman and MM. 

WIth the resets, that's the biggest ? for me because Alanah mentions the game saving between levels so not sure how this affects the reset angle or even if there is one? Iif you fuck up an assassination can you reload the save from the start of that level? I'm guessing not but I really don't know. Same goes for the reset if there is one, I don't know if your saves will get wiped once you fail an entire loop (not just 1 target), I don't even know if they can do that? Again, I'm guessing not. 

What I was most surprised about is you keep all your items, weapons, upgrade points etc. when you die which is very un-roguelike.