passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Eating fruit in Pac-man (also, pitched and slightly altered is also the eating noise in Streets of Rage).

I'm picking this more because it's interesting rather than a favourite, but I do think it's a good noise.

I've heard people with misophonia (who get distressed at the sound of eating) talk about this sound effect and how it obviously doesn't sound like anyone eating, really, so it doesn't set off a trigger, but at the same time does totally communicate the idea of eating in an abstract way.  I just think it's a creative piece of sound design to communicate an action without actually sounding like it.

Anyway.  GameCube boot up as well, obvs

B1pNtlLOkmS._AC_-0885.jpg

Readers name the best platform games ever made, both 2D and 3D, and including classics such as Guacamelee and Yoshi’s Island.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Bernardo and asked whether you enjoy the platform genre in general, and if you’re happy with how it’s evolved over the years.

There may have been an attempt to avoid the answer of a Mario game but in the end the responses were surprisingly unanimous, with Rayman Legends coming away as the clear favourite.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

classics such as Guacamelee

🤨

It's really going to be tough to fit all of them in one post, because as one of the earliest genres established in the medium, it's also probably the one that reached its peak before every other genre, resulting in a ton of very accomplished games.

I'll take Mario out of the equation to make things a bit more interesting and will say Rayman 2, Sands of Time and Mirror's Edge on the 3D side of things and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze as my favourite 2D platformer.

The likes of Ori and Guacemelee I see more as part of the Metroidvania genre, even if they overlap a bit.

I'd argue that Guacamelee has more areas that are platformer challenges than most 'Metroidvanias' but overall I agree, it's not a game I'd think of for this.  I'd say Hollow Knight is the same as it has good platformer challenges too.

Some Mario games are high tier platformers but if we're going for deeper cuts I'd have to say:

Klonoa 2 - Takes the light and enjoyable first game and uses the mechanics in creative and challenging ways.

Mirror's Edge - Unique and I think is generally well executed.

Super Meat Boy - Does wild things with the momentum based physics of Mario.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - A modern classic in pure platformers.

Shovel Knight - Kinda perfects the ideas of most classic 8bit platformer it feels kinda wrong to put them above this.

These are what I'd say are great pure platformers but there are 3D more exploring based ones I like but it's these kind that I tend to get more invested in.

Super Meat Boy. It’s perfect.

Splosion man is also a personal favourite of mine. 

If we’re separating 3D ones, It’ll have to be Mario 64. There’s been a lot of 3D platformers I’ve loved over the years but none have ever reached that level for me.

Platformers aren't one of my preferred genres and I've not played very many at all... so from recent memory I'm gonna go with @Maf and pick Ori and the Blind Forest, I enjoyed that game more than Will of the Wisps.

Im not the biggest platform game fan but thinking about it i have played quite a lot of them over the years. my favourite one is donkey kong jungle beats, played that again last year, its ridiculously amazing. Also ill avoid mentioning the usual mario games, but will say i think the wii u one is my pick of the 2d mario games, which is probably an odd choice. Other than those i agree with a lot of stuff already mentioned, like ori, mirrors edge, super meat boy. Oh celeste as well. I like the platforming in guacameele too but get stuck on the fighting bits which im useless at.

the boring answer is probably Sonic 3 and Mario Galaxy. I'm not sure I'd have counted Prince of Persia SoT as a platformer prior to seeing the picture but I suppose it is, and it was one of the best games of all time when it came out

I'm struggling, it's not a genre I spend a lot of time thinking about, but Kirby Canvas Curse, Ivy the Kiwi, and Soul Bubbles were all great on the DS