passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Same as GOTY thread, Sifu by a huge distance. Fucking amazing game. 

Disappointing - toss up between 2 which I still enjoyed to an extent but expected to actually love. Scorn and Signalis. 
Scorn I’ve been really interested in ever since I saw the first trailer. Love that HR Geiger style and it didn’t disappoint in that department. But the actual gameplay was very dull and repetitive. 

As for Signalis, another I was interested in since the first trailer and I’m all for classic Resident Evil type games. Interest peaked even more when it was getting high up on peoples GOTY lists but I just found it very lacking. Think it was mainly the fact it was just confined to very similar looking square rooms where nothing of Patti note actually happens & the story didn’t grab me at all. I was more confused than anything throughout. 

Hardspace Shipbreaker for me.

A simple concept that makes destroying shit a methodical art where sometimes you have to work out the best choice out of bad situations. Great podcast game as well.

Terror of Hemasaurus also deserves a shout out. Rampage like game with physics and a political message that has a new ideas every level and doesn't outstay its welcome. It's not long, few hours. You should play it. It's cheap and it'll fill a few hours. For the price of a kebab you can't go wrong.

Disappointments for me is Peglin. I feel this is a bit undeserved as it's still in early access and it's a genre I don't really like gelled with one I really do, but no matter how I go about it I always feel like I should be playing something else. It's one of those games that's really fun until it's not, and it can feel unjustly unfair at times. It's still early days, maybe they'll pull it around. Or maybe I'm just really not one for collectable card games. I don't know. I took a chance to play something a bit different. it doesn't have to work out every time.

yeah same as in the voting thread but my top 2 didn't make it anywhere near the awards so might as well give them a shout out:

neon white - mirrors edge/parkour/shooting/speedrunning type game - amazing game great fun.

and gunvein - really great bullet hell shmup!

also kirby was great too.

not the question, but I think I'd move God of War up my list a bit. I had started it but not made much of a dent when the thread ended. I've still not finished it but I've put 30 hours in now, I don't think there's a huge amount left, and I think it's a really good game. It's too long a game and very flabby, but still really good at what it does

ME1-63d6.jpg

After the success of The Last Of Us, readers discuss the games they’d like to see turned into a TV show, from Mass Effect to Soulcalibur.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by reader DM58 and included both animated and live action productions, while also asking readers to suggest specific actors and directors for their dream project.

There were plenty of good ideas, with Mass Effect coming up a lot, but many readers worried about the amount of money needed for an accurate adaption, whether the game was sci-fi or not.

Cosmic Horror tends not to translate well to the normies. Otherwise I would think Eternal Darkness could work really well as a serialised miniseries. The budget wouldn't need to be insane either (ba dum tish).

From an animation side of things. Star Fox could be fun. Since Bucky O' Hare already paved the way for that in the 90's. By the same token, Punch Out! as a comedic parallel to Hajime no Ippo (if you haven't seen the anime, it is fantastic) has potential. 

There are a lot of games to shows that have to be discounted due to budget though. For example, you could translate Asura's Wrath to a show (it basically was) but would him punching a possessed planet look good on a series budget?

Maybe some of the "walking sim" type games, since they are predominantly story focussed in the first place, or perhaps some of the Telltale games adapted into feature length amines (or even maybe they could go straight onto Netflix as they are, as the choose your own path shows (like Bandersnatch)).

13 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

Maybe some of the "walking sim" type games, since they are predominantly story focussed in the first place, or perhaps some of the Telltale games adapted into feature length amines (or even maybe they could go straight onto Netflix as they are, as the choose your own path shows (like Bandersnatch)).

Everybody's gone to the rapture would make a great 2 part itv special 

The flip side is - which TV shows/movies do you want to see as a game ?

There were loads in the 8 bit (home computer) era, even things like Neighbours got a game adaptation - okay most were pretty terrible, but loads of big budget action movies had licenced videogames too, and it's a thing that seems seldom done nowadays (I'd guess the LotR/HP games were probably the last big ones outside the Lego/Telltale games, noting of course there's been a few Marvel ones, but nowhere near in the same amount as the movies)). 

This is a pretty easy question. It's The Elder Scrolls. There's literally centuries of stuff to cover that can fortify or explain cannon events, as well as lots of deities and notable individuals and factions that could be focused on for an episode or a series.

I know they are doing one (I think it's Amazon iirc), but a Fallout series could be really good. I'd set it around the New Vegas story, there's enough mystery around the protagonist in that one that it could easily have one-shot episodes, like The Littlest Hobo, with the ultimate aim being to eventually get to who shot you and why

3 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

This is a pretty easy question. It's The Elder Scrolls. There's literally centuries of stuff to cover that can fortify or explain cannon events, as well as lots of deities and notable individuals and factions that could be focused on for an episode or a series.

They could do one of those 'artistic' episodes where despite impending doom creeping to obliterate humanity, you just see someone collecting nirnroot for 60 minutes...

ELDENRING_13_4K-1d13.jpg

Readers discuss the best bargains to be found in gaming, from free-to-play titles like Fortnite to giant role-players like Oblivion.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by reader matc7884, who asked what games have you got the most value out of in terms of the money you spent and/or the amount of time you play them.

There were plenty of stories of people spending hundreds of hours on games, some bought for pennies or entirely free, while most insisted that rather than getting more expensive, games today are better value than they’ve ever been.

Not that it's my favourite RPG or anything (although it's high on the list) but Microsoft deals page was selling the Witcher 3 for about 3 quid last year even after everyone knew about the upcoming free upgrade. 

I've already done dozens of hours but, since I'm doing a slow 'do everything' playthru I'm expecting hundreds of hours out of it eventually. 

I guess ffxiv. It has multiple full length FF stories in it, and lots of classes to play and enough content to figure those classes out that outstrips a lot of other RPG experiences.

It's an mmo tho, lots of boring fetch quests. Still probably the best modern FF game tho, since FFXII at least.

If it's a single player game, just pick your favorite Bethesda RPG. I did put a lot of hours into Oblivion when it came out, tho it's not a game I find interesting to go back to now with all that level scaling, Morrowind or Skyrim are both better choices.

It's easily Football Manager for me, there's iterations of it where if I'd paid £100 for it I'd still have more than got my moneys worth. As it is, I'd quite ofter get it for about £20 and put literal months of time in to it 

I remember getting Borderlands 1 for about £25 then getting the season pass in a price error for the cost of 1 chapter. I played through that game, and the dlc, might even have had  other characters on the go

Hard to argue against Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas too. If they click with you it's a lot of content and I love both games

In terms of f2p, I don't play a lot of them but I did spend a lot of time with Apex, and there was the Diablo style Marvel Super Heroes or whatever it was called that I put a few hours in to when I was unemployed