passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Is Deadly Premonition actually over-rated though ?

It sits at 68% (critic score) on Metacritic made up of a bunch of >75% and almost as many <60% - which seems about right (where some hate how rough it is, with some more forgiving due to its quirky story et ) - not that I'm trying to discredit Maf's opinion (where I guess he's questioning whether those higher scores were even deserved) - just I recall a bit of a pretty wide scatter of review scores when it came out on the 360.

DP is a game like Nier, a low budget thing with bad gameplay that overreaches but still has some cool things in it. It's not that hard to understand why it has some fans. Not everything that people like is about trying to cultivate some sort cultured impression, sometimes people just like stuff. It's not 'hipster' to like things that are a bit off to other people. Honestly Twin Peaks' appeal is similar at times, half that TV series is absolute shit after all but people still really like it

From recent years my pick would be Hollow Knight. And I don't even think it's bad, but as a game it just throws so many obstacles in your way that it seems like the developers forgot to filter out between gameplay challenges and useful quality of life features. Having to equip an item to prevent my character from reeling back when hitting an enemy is one of those things I just fail to grasp the point of. I also strongly disliked how it handled mapping the environment, basically forcing you to retrace your steps at least once per area instead of subtly guiding the player to do it on their own terms. 

A bit older and a series I've mentioned often in similar discussions but Uncharted as a whole is really fun to watch but as soon as you gain control over a character it turns into a horrible mess. It's always baffled my why that series managed to take off in an era when shooters on console were arguably at their high point with games like Gears, Vanquish and even lesser known underdogs like The Club. Even Mass Effect 2 & 3 are better TPS, even though I agree with dwarf about ME2.

The only way I can imagine people like Deadly Premonition is in the same way people like The Room. Which fine, I get it.

But when I’ve seen it on top 10 lists, or someone saying it’s their fav game of the generation, or just get in to ‘oh the game is amazing because’ it’s like get to fuck. I think the irony takes over and they buy in to the joke.

Liking it because it’s funny to like it, fine. When people start championing it it’s like calm down, cunt.

You see it a lot (probably everywhere) but especially in video games. When people think they’re on the ground floor of some cult thing so they start elevating it to heights and overrating the game way beyond it deserves. 

Earthbound is another one (Although EB is excellent, but not the way some people talk about it)

Psychonauts 2 is the most recent one. That game is decent, but when people are like, oh it’s GotY because the writing you’re whole arguments fucked put it back in the 7/10 column where it belongs

Deadly Premonition is the prime example. But also the one that drives me the most mad because it’s utter dog shit. You want to like it because it’s utter dog shit, sure, but don’t try tell me it’s a good game. I don’t know what the reviews are but if it’s above 20% it’s overrated.

Speaking of irony

I've seen you say this kind of thing before, you said it to me when I said Drakengard 3's final boss is really cool that it was some shit about wanting to appear 'exclusive' in liking a thing. Either on this site or GTM, cant remember

I think that's a load of nonsense and I hope there's not many people who think that fandoms of 'cult shit' are the way you think they are.

Just cause you're not into the same weirdo shit as some other people doesn't mean that the relatively small communities bigging that stuff up are doing it out of a position of feeling superior, or some weird ulterior motive you're contriving right here

I think people attach identity to shit they feel like is theirs. Which happens with mainstream stuff, but also way more with cult stuff. 

It’s like oh this is the #1 game because it’s the thing I’ve played and you, you just don’t know so it’s me, it’s mine and it’s awesome 🙄

All I remember when you were talking about Drakenguard 3 was someone gets raped or something. I just remember it being like oooh how edgy it must be good 

There's a bunch of highly rated walking simulators that I just don't understand why they are so highly rated. 

So "Gone Home" and "What Remains of Edith Finch" - which, fair enough, tell a decent story, but in terms of being a 'game' have such limited interaction, feel to me just like reading a book or watching a movie - the game elements of walk along a restrictive path from A to B to C, to open and read X, Y, Z, are just really dull.

Even things like "Amnesia" and "SOMA" aren't that much better - albeit it at least an element of threat in these builds some tension.

I suppose the issue is how they are / aren't categorised when presented on a list of great 'games' - just because the interface is a joypad doesn't mean it's a game - so they might be best of class, but (at least for me), don't ever deserve a place alongside great interactive games.

A comparison is how the Oscars have a Best Documentary catagory, but these films don't necessarily then go into contention for Best Picture too (but might turn up mixed in on a Critics list of their best movies of the year).

Likewise you wouldn't expect Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson to appear on a list of greatest authors, no matter how many millions enjoyed their Fighting Fantasy gamebooks - but can you directly compare Deathtrap Dungeon with Great Expectations...

If I start typing I'll drag some games for an eternity, so I'm not going to bother. All I'll say is there's too much shit that gets praised because it looks great for the time or it comes from an esteemed dev that people have elevated to a level where nothing they do can be taken poorly for fear of being the guy.

Launch-timing-update-for-the-sequel-to-The-Legend-of-Zelda_-Breath-of-the-Wild-0-54-screenshot-4dc3.jpg

Readers discuss the longest they’ve ever waited for a video game to be released, including the mammoth waits for Shenmue 3 and Persona 5.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Tony T. and was inspired by the recent delay of Starfield, as well as many others this year. So we asked what’s the most disappointed you’ve been with a game delay and how did you feel when it eventually arrived?

Given how common delays are in the games industry everyone had a story to tell, but in general most people were happy to wait as long as the end result was worth it, which in most cases it was.

Bit of a wierd question this week... I suppose all I'll say on this is being a gamer you basically just need to suck up delays as they've always happened, granted it's more prevalent nowadays but I guess all you can do is hope you get a better product out of it.

Eternal Darkness 2 - ...No wait. That didn't happen. Thanks for nothing, crowd funding...😒

Both The Last Guardian and Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement were an eleven year wait. The former just didn't grab me in the same way as SotC.

The latter ...was possibly the worst entry in the entire series. Wearing it's complete lack of effort on it's sleeve. Vandal Hearts being a series which peaked with the first game and began to decline immediately.

In terms of games... the wait from when Resident Evil 2 Remake was announced to when we actually saw something was painful, luckily they nailed it so it was all good in the end.

On the subject of RE. I recall the dissonance between the initial announcement/trailer of RE 5 and, in the subsequent four years, the end product.

it should have been Shenmue 3 but by the time it came out, with all the shit surrounding the kickstarter, especially the PC version, I just couldn't be arsed with it. I've still not played it. I suppose if it had come out and all the talk was that it was amazing then I'd have made time for it. Maybe one day

Witcher 3 was probably the last game I was really looking forward to in the build up, I think it surpassed what I expected from it, certainly by the end, it's a huge leap over Witcher 2 which was already one of my favourite games

yeah shenmue is a good one, similar to DANGERMAN i've not played it yet, was a bit annoyed that they didn't finish the story. remember when i was younger played micro machines at a friends house on their megadrive, but we had a mastersystem, every time we went to woolworths i'd have to ask the staff if micromachines was out on mastersystem yet, this went on for around a year i think before it finally released. also guitar hero came out in america a long time before here i was really looking forward to that, so much so i drove home from work in lunch time to get it from the post office instead of waiting till the next day. 

It's been over 10 yrs so nice Skyrim (first) came out, and still no firm timeline for the next Elder Scrolls game.

Otherwise I expected that IO would have done a sequel to their excellent 2003 game Freedom Fighters, where plans for a sequel were announced in 2004.

Completely forgot about Alyx, which was a 13 year wait from HL2-2's cliffhanger ending. I'd say it was largely worth it but only if they keep the momentum and go on to do HL3, or Alyx 2 even. Hopefully a PSVR port comes to fruition.

This Q wasn't asked but in terms of stuff I really want a sequel to and am still waiting it's MGR2. Hopefully as Konami come out of their pachinko coma they find a way to make it happen with Platinum, or any good action developer

Mine in the "still waiting" category would be:

1. Power Stone

The last release was 22 years ago this year... 😩

2. Bloody Roar

The last release was 19 years ago.

3. Golden Sun

2010 was the last release. Which ended on a cliffhanger. 12 years now...

4. Suikoden

2008 was the last western release. 2012 was the last Japanese only one. 10-14 years ago, depending on your mileage. Spiritual successors don't cut it.

Final Fantasy Remake comes to mind because it was announced early and took some time to come out and when it did I planned on waiting for an X/S version is full exclusivity wasn't set in stone but as time goes on it seems that is probably going to be the case.  So I'm still waiting to play it even though it's out.  I just don't know whether to settle for that PS4 version or see what happens in the future if I end up with a PS5 or it does eventually come to Xbox.

I think about a potential Sonic Mania 2 but I've heard a likely theory that the reason another wasn't made despite it being successful is because maybe some egos at SEGA were bruised when it was received so much more favourably than the main Sonic release.  I lean into believing it because it's what adds up.  I know there is Sonic Origins based on tech that Mania was built on and has some of those people involved but something weird obviously went on there.  I guess I'm still toe tapping around a Mania 2.

I think I remember being pretty excited about a 3D Metroid for what felt like ages in run up to Metroid Prime, since that video that was a homage to hit movie Lost in Space starring Matt LeBlanc.

It's probably best to differentiate between announced and unannounced projects. From the former group Metroid Prime 4 immediately comes to mind because the timeframe between the infamous PNG and its release will most likely end up being six years at least. And while we only heard about it for the first time two years ago, the fact they've not even started full production on the next Mass Effect will likely mean that game will end up as a good answer to this question as well.

As for games that haven't been announced and most likely don't exist, I'm hoping/waiting for a new F-Zero ever since Nintendo released an HD system with the WiiU in 2012. That was 10 years ago and back then the last entry was already 8 years old. 

I would have mentioned Shenmue III as well but like some people in here the whole Kickstarter thing and muted feedback completely killed the hype for me. I have the Kickstarter Special Edition and haven't even opened it yet. Not sure I ever will. It can't possibly live up to the feelings that went through my head when I heard the main theme at Sony's 2015 conference.