passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

If you're at this point and don't like JRPGs there's not a lot of point to force yourself.  I think SMT and Persona games have more high stakes combat but most of them, like FF or DQ, are more like marathons than sprints.  It's a case of if you can survive the dungeon with the resources you have with also the opportunity to tinker a bit to optimise the run, and once you're into the language of JRPGs it's not that difficult.  But they're just chill.  You hang out with some pretty boys and waifus,  maybe a dad and a goofy little guy, and go through this fantastical world that is made by the strongest artists in the industry really flexing their imagination while you go on an adventure to eventually kill god.  Sure, you can read a wiki of the the events of the story in no time but that misses the point of the experience.

When it all comes together just right they can be some of the most fun you can have with a game, though most aren't but can still be a pretty good time.

14 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I can't for the fuck of me remember what it was called, but I think the save points were a very effeminate tailor and the turn based combat were more like Paper Mario in that you had button presses to get the most out of your attacks. It was on PS2. I probably would have gotten bored of it, but from the bit I saw it looked like it was worth giving a go. You never know, it might have been one of the few I liked.

I'm not sure about the tailor bit but that might have been Shadow Hearts. I don't know how well it has aged but it's a very unique take on the JRPG template, a bit as if Suda51 and Yoko Taro came together to make one. They made three of those (four if you count Koudelka on PS1) but from what I remember the third one was a bit meh.

I can see the points thrown towards JRPGs but like HD says there's just something very enjoyable about those that come together nicely, where the party is likeable, the combat enjoyable, the world fun to explore and the music a joy to listen to. Granted that's not happening for all of them, for every wonderfully written FFXII cutscene you have roughly ten JRPGs with borderline insulting dialogue à la Tales of Arise. I can't put my finger on why I exactly like turn-based combat – I think some systems are genuinely fun to play, but others I might actually just like for the audiovisual spectacle. The dangling carrot of character growth and new skills works just as fine in JRPGs as in does in WRPGS, too, IMO.

Anyway. I never played Call of Duty.

I can't really think of one for me really, I like to try all different sorts of genres and games, love learning and experiencing new stuff so yeah I can't really think of many to be honest.

Maybe DOTA 2 because it's a shit League clone? Also, some JRPG series like Tales of Symphonia or that other series Square recently remade/remastered about a year ago on Switch I can't remember the name of. 

Also, about the whole JRPG discourse in general. I will say that aside from Pokémon no JRPG ever clicked with me properly until I played Persona 4 Golden back in 2012 or around then, after that I gave a lot more JRPGs more of a chance because that game was so damn good and struck a cord with me like not many other games before it.

No update again this week... I can see them ending this soon.😢

Nag say... "You've come in to a lot of money and decided that the absolute best way to use that money is to make a game, which developer do you approach and what's your game?"

I'm gonna cheat a bit with this, I'd be knocking on the door at Capcom HQ and telling them I'll fund a ground up Remake of Dino Crisis for current generation consoles only.

Can it be the world's most addictive free to play game - with little to no grind, and no dlc, no skins, no microtransactions, etc, just to give people simple pleasure, and no pay to win ?

Maybe I get EA or King to make it, so I can see them sob at board meetings when no-one is buying add-on packs (for FIFA etc) or extra goes on Candy Crush.

(OMG I think I've written this under the influence of the in game computer in The Talos Principle....)

I'll choose IO Interactive and get them to build X-Men Legends 3 utilising the team based engine they used to make Freedom Fighters. It has been 20 years since the latter. So I'm sure that technology could be even better today.

I'd like Camelot to make Shining Force 4 I suppose, but I'm not sure they've got it in them anymore. Be nice if they weren't making half-arsed sports games for Nintendo though

I'm also like Team Andromeda to come back and make a second Panzer Dragoon Saga, so I suppose that's where my money would go, then it would bomb and I'd wish I'd just bought a copy of the original and left it at that

34 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'd like Camelot to make Shining Force 4 I suppose, but I'm not sure they've got it in them anymore.

As an aside, for all the remaster talk of the last few years. Why hasn't (the incomplete) Shining Force 3 been a part of it?😔 In fact I wouldn't be averse to giving Camelot the funds to remake the first four games (including Shining in the Darkness). While I'm sure using the Valkyria Chronicles engine for SF1-3, would be ...expensive. It would definitely be worth it.

I'm gonna cheat a bit with this, I'd be knocking on the door at Capcom HQ and telling them I'll fund a ground up Remake of Dino Crisis for PC only, and on the credits say "Get fucked, Nag!" :lol:

Seriously though, I'm not really sure. I know if I did do something along these lines it'd be free from all the trappings of modern gaming practices. You buy the game, you get the whole game and it works without having to be patched, or having predatory shit in to make you fork out again and again.

I'd want one of those PS360-era action adventure games. You know the ones - Darksiders, Splatterhouse, Lollipop Chainsaw - that kind of gameplay, but without the insane combo depth of something like Bayonetta or DMC. Something that sits in the no man's land between Bayo or DMC and Dynasty Warriors. I know that's very vague, but I hope that makes sense.

Deep combat has its place, and I love that some games do that, but from time to time I just want something big, dumb and fun. I want to jump into a game, hack and slash at shit, and switch off again for a bit. Something that doesn't need tons of hours to get you back into the swing of the controls if you put it down for a few months then come back to it.

Alternatively, I'm knocking Sega's door down and demanding Binary Domain 2. The first one was awesome.

No new question again so I'll use one that @DANGERMAN sent me a while ago... and if people want this thread to continue i really could use help by you guys popping off some questions to me via pm.👍

best-portable-gaming-consoles-2.jpg

Dangerman says "What consoles library would you like to see get the handheld treatment?"

Great question @Nag

For me, probably the Saturn. The smaller screen would probably help the uglier aspects of the graphics, and a lot of its library was really pick up and play. 

Stick a quality d-pad and 6 face buttons on it and it'd be great to play the likes of Pocket Fighter. If you can add a 2nd analogue stick then the likes of Quake or Burning Rangers would get even better. 

A quick burst on Panzer Dragoon, or lay in bed and work through Grandia and Shining Force. Sounds pretty good to me 

It depends. To me, multiplayer doesn't work on handheld. So I'd be conscious of the experiences you'd lose out on with portable N64 or Dreamcast. For example, contrary to what the PSP port would imply. The four player arena fighter Power Stone loses an awful lot in translation.

Ideally for me, as I have next to zero experience of the Saturn, I'd say the PSOne. There was an extensive part of that library - the RPG side, in particular - that would be great to give attention to, on the go. Level grinding the 108 of Suikoden or Gold Chocobo breeding in FF7 wouldn't quite seem as tedious if you didn't have to remain stationary in real life.

The PS1 did get a mini console. It was terrible tho, they put a bunch of PAL 50HZ ports on it. Sony keep making that mistake.

I would like PS2, and I would like a way to extend the storage on it or swap out game libraries or something. I know you could hack those SNES minis to load more games on

Or maybe I should also just say Saturn cause I always wanted to play Panzer Dragoon Saga but couldn't figure out Saturn emulation at all

edit I completely misread this, it's about handhelds not mini consoles. Doh

26 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

edit I completely misread this, it's about handhelds not mini consoles. Doh

Indeed. Also the pitfall of these mini consoles is that a lot of the respective library is omitted. Logically due to space and/or licensing issues.

If they did a portable version of that mini Mega Drive I'd be much more interested in it.  I guess I'd prefer it if they were handhelds rather than mini consoles.  They would maybe be less a little collectable and eye catching but they'd be so much more usable.