passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

It may be a technical marvel, a beautiful game of staggering scope and scale, but its gameplay is narrow, linear and never changes. [Christmas 2007, p.122]

Found reference to it on the Metacritic for the PS3 version. Nothing from that summary suggests it was that bad a game? I think I played a bit of the second one and that's about it.🤔

You can find lots of old reviews on the wayback machine. Only goes back to 2010 though

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.gamestm.co.uk/reviews/*

Anyway they gave it a 4 cause the entire gameplay was automated and you do the same thing 9 times over. Well justified imo, they didn't figure out how to make a game of it until ACII

cuphead_dlc_screenshot_1080_3-5b72.jpg

Readers discuss the most visually impressive games of the previous generation, from Red Dead Redemption 2 to Uncharted 4.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by reader Grackle and asked which game from the previous generation of consoles (Xbox One, Wii U, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch) do you feel had the best graphics, from either a technical or artistic perspective?

The clear winners were Red Dead Redemption 2 and Naughty Dog’s various games, with first party Sony games in general all earning plenty of praise.

Pretty sure this came out recently or something very similar.

For simulating a real environment, both in town and country, it's definitely RDR2. At times it really does look like a real filmed western. Unfortunately it plays a bit like that too.

For artistic effort I'd mention Ori, but have always held that Okami has a certain something that pleases my eye like no other game. 

not a full game but I think PT was the first game that really impressed me last generation. The Orders would be would be up there too. Guilty Gear looked amazing

Then it's the obvious stuff like Last of Us 2.

Was The Unfinished Swan last gen? That looked cool. I feel like there's probably a load like that, indie games we've all forgot about but had nice art styles. I thought Captain Toad looked great on WiiU

Yeah cant deny how impressive stuff like rdr and the sony games are, think my favorite of those for graphics is spiderman and horizon. Theres lots of stuff last gen that looks good like that, my preference is more for an interesting art style stuff like rez, jet set radio and wind waker but struggling to think of stuff like that for last gen. Like Dangerman says theres probably some indie games im forgetting. Think unfinished swan is ps3, maybe with a ps4 version too? 

sunset overdrive and forza horizon are nice and bright and colurful, i like that sort of thing.

oh yeah Esp ra.de. Is a great looking game, technically counts i guess, old pixel art arcade game but only got a console port with switch/ps4.

I'll give the old Xbox some love... Gears 5 looked great even on a base Xbox One and scaled upwards brilliantly with the release of more capable machines, it can still hold its head up now with its Series X upgrade.

Marvels-Spider-Man-2-Featured-image-ae02.jpg

Readers discuss what they expect to see announced at The Game Awards next week, from Star Wars Jedi: Survivor to Final Fantasy 16.

It’s The Game Awards on Thursday night, the biggest reveal event of the year and, hopefully, a chance to see previously announced games in greater detail and some brand new titles for the first time.

There’s little clue as to what will be there but lots of readers are hoping for Spider-Man 2 and some more Sony announcements, as well as another glimpse at Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom from Nintendo.

Not that I keep abreast of this stuff (didn't even know there was a game show this week) but if there's to be announcements I'll be looking at Microsoft really. I could do with a reason to rejoin gamepass. 

After exhausting their first party stuff I haven't subbed for ages, although, to be fair, 95% of my gaming since had been off their deals page.

Since I generally play RPGs and single player action adventure stuff I'll be wanting something off Bethesda, Obsidian, Ninja theory and the likes. That fable reboot seems to have gone a bit AWOL too.

Honestly, I look at the monthly gamepass announcements on these pages and, while others here enthuse, I shrug and move on.

The thing with gamepass is it's firing on all cylinders for indie enthusiasts, but the last couple years have been very dry for AAA. Depends on what you're into. If you are into Obsidian they did just release a game on gamepass, Pentiment, tho it's very out there in terms of what they usually go for

I have zero expectations of the game awards, pretty much every Geoff show has been a terrible waste of time the past few years. I read tho that this one will be shorter, so it will automatically be better just for wasting less time if I turn it on. 

I would like to see Dragon's Dogma I guess. I know stuff like ffxvi has already been confirmed but I don't really need to see more of it now

I'm just so tapped out from this kind of stuff, I have enough games that I need to play so I'm not looking to get excited about anything I won't have time for.  So there's nothing I want to see but if a cool trailer drops I'll just look at it and think "neat".