passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Probably Alien Isolation and Outlast II. 

There's a lot of others that are fantastic, but, unfortunately I never finished most so I'm not sure I can really count them.

I think:

• REmake
  • Silent Hill 2
  • Silent Hill 3
  • The Suffering
  • RE 7
  • Dead Space

Are all fantastic but I have never finished most of them. REmake I got lost and gave up, SH2 and SH3 I played at a friends house sporadically when I was about 12 and we never finished it. The Suffering I never finished as I got lost. I think RE7 is the only one I've finished out of the ones I've listed.

maxresdefault-86d9.jpg

Readers reveal the oldest retro devices they still play games on, from old consoles to a 1978 Space Invaders coin-op.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by reader Rackam, who asked what’s the oldest piece of original hardware you still have in working order? How long have you had it for and is it still working as well now as it did originally?

There were a lot of interesting answers to the question, ranging from relatively recent home consoles, like the Wii, to ancient devices like the ZX Spectrum, although portable consoles proved to be the most likely retro hardware to still be in general use.

I still have a Vita in the house but I've not actually played it in months, same can be said for the Xbox One X I have rigged up still. So the oldest is Series X or PS5... whichever released first.

In terms of gaming horde, I've still got:

Mega Drive

Gameboy

Gameboy Color

PS1 (x2)

GBA

GBA SP

DS Lite (x2)

PS2

GC

Wii

360 (x2)

NS

PS4

SNES Mini

Plus a PC (Win XP c.2005)

So NS and PS4 get played the most, then PS2 and DS, with occasional dabbles on the others during a year, depending what takes my fancy.

Oldest will be my Mega Drive. Granted it's probably been a year since I've used it but it's still set up and I still buy games for it every so often (not as often as I'd like, it's expensive).

I've probably used my Game Gear more recently, I definitely have because I was playing Halley Wars over the summer. The d-pad is a but shit on it, mostly fine, but it's like it moves about then ends up in a position where it doesn't respond when you need it to. The Game Gear is red though, so yeah

Nice, I used to have mario bros G+W back when I was a kid.

Unfortunately I dont own any of my og hardware pre ps4. 

That being said currently own

Spectrum Zx+2

PlayStation 1 (2 of them) 

PlayStation 2 slim and fat

Ps3 slim

Switch

Ps4 and 5

Evercade vs and handheld

Raspberry pi 400

Pc

Havent had time to play much on the speccy yet, whilst I have a fair few tapes I want to pick up an sd card solution. 

Most retro currently played on the evercade. And Pi 400.

I would love more retro hardware, but realistically the game room is already fairly full as its not super big. 

Would love an old school win 95/98 pc back in the collection and an Amiga. But really not sure where I would hook those up. 

In Ireland as far as I’m aware my Gameboy and Gameboy Colour are still in working order. I have the DS and GBA SP here with me in Japan.

I would be regularly playing my PS2 and Wii if they weren’t in Ireland too.

360 should still work fine.

I usually end up handing things down like at the start of the year my sister got my PS3.  I had Tombi downloaded on it and she got nostalgic when I told her and wanted to play it.  Pretty sure she has my PS2 as well.

The 360 died, the OG Xbox I think I gave to a cousin, GameCube as well I think but it was close to death, I can't remember what happened to my PS1 and Dreamcast (I know the N64 was traded for the Dreamcast).  Anything older that that was kinda shared with others.

So from what I can see right now the oldest thing I have is a 3DS, there's a Wii U as well.  I'm sure there's a GBA mini in storage somewhere that's the oldest.  I know I have a Vita somewhere as well and maybe a PSP (2nd gen) but I know another sister was interested in it ages ago but I can't remember if I gave her it or not.  There also maybe a DSi.  But the GBA mini I have for sure and thats older so whatever.

I have a lot of stuff. I won't list it because I can't be bothered and nobody really cares, there's nothing super out of the ordinary there. None of it is set up, outside of a PS4 Pro we watch TV on demand when we're in bed.

I did have a NGC set up for the longest time and I semi regularly played Super Monkey Ball on it trying to finish it. I think I retired that when the PS4 took a place under my TV, or sometimes there abouts because I just didn't have space for it and I think I upgraded my TV and they didn't really get along all that well.

Still never finished those Super Monkey Ball 2 expert levels.

Oldest i have is an original gameboy, with my name written in it! dont use it though. Did play some gb games recently but on a gba, have an original gba too but didnt use it, recently got a gba with a new screen you can actually see. Also have and recently used ps2, n64, xbox, gamecube. Have some other old stuff like saturn and ps1 but not used them recently.