passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I'd say it's Ragnarok and Bayonetta 3 I've got my eye on the most this year with also a keen eye on The Callisto Protocol as well.  Maybe Xenoblade 3 too since I'd like to get that feeling again that the original gave me but the other games so far haven't, but I hope to try it at some point.

I'm not thinking too much beyond that but considering all the delayed games there's enough interesting stuff for me for the rest of the year.

10 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I mean people freak out over Potter like it is the only book anyone ever wrote, because it is literally the only book they have ever read. Shouldn't be that surprising 😂

That's unnecessarily provocative, even though I doubt it applies to anyone here.

As for the question, depending on whether I'm in the right mood to play them when they come out, but on my watchlist for this year are:

Stray (technically out already)

Pokémon

Diofield Chronicles

Hogwarts Legacy

Harvestella

Plague Tale 2

I used to be looking forward to Gotham Knights but I think it looked rather awful in their latest videos, like a dysfunctional hybrid between Arkham City and Anthem. 

Baldur’s Gate 3

Hollow Knight Silksong

Breath of the Wild 2

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Hogwarts Legacy

FFVII Rebirth

Dragon Quest XII

Final Fantasy XVI

Return to Monkey Island

To name a few. And whatever Supergiant are making next.

5 hours ago, radiofloyd said:

Dragon Quest XII

Ohhh Forgot that one. Then again, it's been a while since there was a real update. At least there is still one RPG series from Squeenix I have faith in.

screen_9_1426158655-e1427167951645.jpg

Readers discuss the longest they’ve ever played a single video game for, and what they did about issues like eating and going to the toilet.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Tolly, who asked what’s the longest you’ve ever played a game without any substantial break. Did you purposefully set out to play for that long and if so, what preparations did you make for it?

How long is long varied for each person but the most common reasons for an extra length gaming session were chasing achievements and being alone for the night.

I'll say straight from the off that even as a kid I've never done any ridiculous 30 hour marathons or anything. I guess the most recent game would be Elden Ring, Sundays I'll quite happily have an seven hour-ish gaming session (starting around 8ish in the morning until 3ish in the afternoon) depending on my mood or if nothing has been released recently I'll play Gears 5 multiplayer for that time too... Sunday is gaming day.😊

I realised pretty early on, due to the headaches, that a few hours are the most I can manage gaming. Or watching films/shows etc 4-5 hours is the limit. My eyes are streaming by that point.

But to flip the question on it's head. I played Binding of Isaac alone for about 2-3 years. Because I had no other games or consoles at the time. Also it might have been obsession etc

Can’t say I’ve ever done one of those 30 hour marathons or anything either. Don’t think I’ve ever gone as far as planning for it too. 

A 8-10 hour stretch isn’t unheard of, did it quite often as a kid but now it’s relegated to the odd Saturdays or Sundays where I’ve got nothing else on. But again it’s not planned for, I’ll stick a game on and if it holds my interest for that long so be it. But I’ll also just stop for food when I feel like it & I may stop to watch a programme or a film or something every so often during my session. It’s rare a game grabs me where I can play that long in one stretch. Never been one of those people who can play 1 game for 10 hours at a time or 1 game on and off for 1000 hours+ just not me. 

When Endwalker came out there were so many people playing it that if you were afk for more than 15 minutes, I think, you would get logged out and be stuck in a 4 or 5 hour queue. Which presents a problem when it's a new Final Fantasy and everyone's rushing to its ending to spoil it in general chat in Limsa Lominsa. 

So naturally, the only way to play it is to literally do nothing but it. Or be forced to wait 2 months until the servers became a bit more reasonable.

This might be a secondary factor in why I didn't enjoy Endwalker, the fact that I was literally trapped in it until I got to finish it.

I've a feeling I probably played something for 24 hours when I was a teenager, gone round a mates and stayed up all night until we beat something or just to see if we could do it. I always fancied doing the Le Mans 24 Hour game on the Dreamcast in the real time race mode, 2 or 3 people, get some food, nap if needed but otherwise swap controllers

I've definitely played the likes of Football Manager from getting up to going to bed, using international breaks to get a shower, make some food, get drinks etc. I've not been like that for a long time admittedly, probably when I was at uni. Civ V ate my time like that though, I'm not sure if anything else has since

Probably the closest of the last few years was Dragon Quest XI, less because I was enjoying it more because I'd torn my cruciate and was bed ridden for a couple of days, so I was laid up in bed playing on the pc using the Steam controller, using it as an excuse to grind the last part of the game. I ended up over doing it and absolutely merked the last boss

yeah similar to others i'm not sure i've ever sat down and planned to play a game uninterupted for hours and hours, maybe done 7 or 8 hours like that i guess? but i have booked a week off work to play a new game and might play that nearly all week but it won't be uninterupted, i'll stop for food/sleep/etc. done that for some halo/destiny games.

6 minutes ago, bellow said:

3 hours on fallout 3. It was the greatest night of my life.

You've just jogged a memory from the void.

One night at a friend's house, we were playing 007 Nightfire on the day of release. Towards the end of the night we switched to a round-robin system for playing through the single player game (to unlock stuff). However, someone forgot the memory card. This was roughly 11pm. So I opted to stay awake all night and finish it so we wouldn't loss progress. I vaguely recall it was about 8-9am before anyone else woke up. Killer headache the next day

In the summer holidays we did Mario kart 64 and Goldeneye marathons. We would crash at a friend's house with a bunch of cushions and mattresses on the floor and stuff and just spend pretty much all the time cycling between those two games, depending on if Pete's mum brought us burgers or bacon sandwiches in told us what time of day it was, we'd normally do that for two days two night once a week over the holidays. When one person fell asleep, someone else would pick up the pad and take over, it was fun then we discovered booze and girls and didn't really do it any more.

bhre-fhd_043_1416312399-e1421678271669.jpg

Readers name their favourite remakes and remasters from across the generations, including Mafia Definitive Edition and Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Ishi, who was inspired by the recent rash of new retro releases. Which has been your favourite and why? Had you played the original when you first played the remake and how do you think the new version compares?

Some were predictable answers, with a lot of Resident Evil games mentioned, but also more obscure choices that many will have forgotten even exist.

If the remake of the original Resident Evil isn't hands down the best it's definitely up there with them... stays true to the original game but improves on everything, still looks amazing today.