Final Fantasy VII and VII Remake

Spider-Man PS4

Persona 5

Wipeout HD Collection

Gran Turismo 3

Jak & Daxter & Jak 2

CTR

All top Tier. 
HM - Astro on PS5. Doesn’t make the cut though simply because it’s a tech demo at the end of the day not a full game. 

I suppose a lot of these aren't PS exclusives anymore but for the first 2 systems it's a lot of FF, MGS, DMC/other capcom stuff for me. GT2 and GT4 had a lot of time put into them, no interest in that kind of gaming now though.

PS3 is sort of a doldrums generation, I actually checked on wikipedia and the only two exclusives on it I liked are MGS4 and Drakengard 3. Right now I might say I prefer Drakengard 3 to mgs4 at this point, cause mgs stopped being a game about 2 hours into it

PS4, back to form, lots of stuff on it I liked. Bloodborne, GoW, TLOUII, Death Stranding. Spiderman and ffvii are decent.

PS5, nothing yet. But I put that down to the generation effectively not even starting yet when it comes to AAA games, thx to covid's impact on development. I'm sure stuff will come eventually, well it better at least

I’m biased but Spider-Man is my favourite Sony exclusive in a long time.  I just don’t really know what more I could ask from the game that it didn’t do. The prison escape sequence, 2 v 1 boss battles, best superhero combat so far. The writing, characters, the Peter/MJ relationship. The only thing I didn’t like about it was the end cutscene between Spidey and the last boss. Hate that. Some of the side stuff was weak but inoffensive as well but it’s fine. 

Also Spider-Man’s chest looks awful I dunno why but whatever. That game is superb.

Ico is still one of the all time great adventure game. First time I saw it was at a friend’s cousin’s house. He rented it, we started it, they got to the very first bit where you climb the chain and they were like “this is shit” and I was sitting there wowed like no, this is next level. I didn’t end up playing through it myself until a good while later but that game was so different. Might be the first game I would describe as artsy. 

From this generation both Demon’s Souls Remake and Returnal are my favourites. DSR is basically all graphics. Like that game is great on it’s own, but not as good as the later Souls games for sure. But the way that game looks is what pushes it in to amazing territory. It’s just unbelievable 

Returnal I’ve said enough about already but it’s just so good. Maybe the best playing game this generation I can think of off the top, certainly the best playing shooter this generation I have no doubt. Now it’s on a PS+ service hopefully more people give it ago since I think it’s biggest challenge was it’s £70 price tag

18 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

suppose a lot of these aren't PS exclusives anymore

That’s the biggest issue with choosing these games. I tried to limit my picks to ones that were at least exclusive to the generation it released on. 

I'm not sure with this one, it feels like there should be some obvious stand out, like Shadow of the Colossus (which would be one of them tbf), but I think what I liked about previous Sony generations were the slightly quirky games, stuff like The Puppeteer and Flower.

If it counts Devil May Cry 3 would be up there, as would Yakuza 2. For the shit it gets I do think Last of Us 2 was really good, I really liked MGS4, 

I had to be selective with MGS. I've played and loved both 1 & 2. But I've never played 3 and really didn't like playing as geriatric Tom Selleck in MGS4. 

So many great ones. But since no seems to be mentioning it, I'm going to plump for the Ratchet and clank series. 

Have such fond memories of getting my kids thru the 'hard bits' when they were young. And when they outgrew the series I, like a big old eejit, carried on playing. I've played every main entry, many more than once, and when I gets my PS5 (probably when SF6 comes out) I'll be going straight in for the latest installment.

6 hours ago, Maf said:

From this generation both Demon’s Souls Remake and Returnal are my favourites. DSR is basically all graphics. Like that game is great on it’s own, but not as good as the later Souls games for sure. But the way that game looks is what pushes it in to amazing territory. It’s just unbelievable 

I must have played a different game to rest of you regarding DSR. It looked good but it’s didn’t blow me away at all

3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:
3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

slightly quirky games

I agree but they were usually more of the 7-8/10 range so don’t think they really count here.

The opening level of Demon's Souls or two is extremely good looking, probably the best looking game out there currently, taking everything into account and including things like maxed out Cyberpunk on PC

None of the rest really is that impressive tho. It's limited by the art it has to adapt. Also tbh, the game sucks too much for me to want to stick with no matter how good the graphics are, zero patience for how they designed that game. It's so boring

Also if 7 or 8/10 games dont belong here then damn I guess Drakengard 3 is fucked, it wishes it could be a 7 lol

4 minutes ago, mfnick said:

I must have played a different game to rest of you regarding DSR. It looked good but it’s didn’t blow me away at all

The graphical fidelity showed off the power of the PS5. Other than that, it was a fresh coat of paint on the best Souls game. Ironically all many wanted from a FF7 remake, but I digress.

Returnal and shadow of the colossus are good shouts

resogun

gt

wipeout 3/hd

mgs 3/4

frequency/amplitude/guitar hero

gravity rush

espgaluda

ibara

gitaroo man

Driveclub

persona dancing 3/4/5

some that arent any more but were for a long time

persona 4/5

dodonpachi doj

mushihimesama

Dmc3

Including games that were exclusive at the time

Anna Kournikova’s Smash Court Tennis
Crash Team Racing

Dark Chronicle
Dragon Quest VIII

Final Fantasy VII - X

Guitar Hero 

Ico

Jak and Daxter

Kingdom Hearts

Okami

Speed Freaks

Spyro 2 and 3

I’m sure there are loads more…

I only owned a PS2 and PS3 so it's not going to be a massive list. I often used the PS2 for the more quirky games which weren't necessarily great but were interesting, and didn't actually play a whole lot of exclusive stuff on the PS3.

Frequency/Amplitude

Shadow Of The Colossus

Ico

Gregory Horror Show

Grim Grimoire

Okami 

Sly Cooper

We Love Katamari

Persona 3 and 5 (I like 4 better but I didn't play it until it came to PC)

Some might have been ported elsewhere later, but I think they were only on playstation when I played them.

ELDENRING_03_4K-7bde.jpg

Readers deliver a half-year report for the games industry and debate which are the best games of 2022 out of Elden Ring and Lego Star Wars.

We’re already halfway through 2022 and while things have been quiet the last few months, we wanted to know what you think has been the best game of the first half of the year.

Elden Ring is the (very) obvious choice but we were impressed to see a wide variety of other suggestions, including indie greats like Neon White and more niche releases like Triangle Strategy.

Simple question this week.

Been a shit year personally gaming wise. None of the big games I’ve played have hit for me. My top spot so far is easily Sifu. Haven’t completed it yet but I’m sure it’ll stay there for a while yet. 

It's probably Elden Ring by process of elimination but there haven't actually been any 2022 games I've really liked, it's maybe the worst year for games I can ever think of. I probably have some blind spots wrt indie, but I checked both Neon White and Sifu now and it says they are run based type games so no-go for me.

Mine is probably Elden Ring and not by default I think the game is purely excellent. The world, dungeons, atmosphere, mysteries, weapon/magic choices, the crazy character builds, some of the bosses. I think what they’ve made is pretty spectacular. 

My only hard dislikes is the routine nature of a lot of the bosses and the game is too long. But I will come back and finish it because I think what they’ve made is amazing.

Quickly followed by Kirby which is maybe neck and neck with Elden Ring in terms of enjoyment, maybe ahead of it, but ER is a bigger accomplishment

Surprised to see the question mention it but yeah neon white, and the Kirby game for me.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

but I checked both Neon White and Sifu now and it says they are run based type games so no-go for me.

What's run based?