passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Red Queen in DMC4/5 cause of the exceed system and how it effects your mobility. It's the best weapon/character to play as in the genre imo

As for guns I like any with a good reload animation. Bolt action in Re4. Red9, same game. Half Life Alyx has a crazy weird shotgun in it with a really satisfying reload. 

You can also flick the shotgun up to close it

Oh I can still remember the satisfying sound effects of Turok 2's Cerebral Bore..

Spoiler

Also, being the type who loves long range weapons. There was none better than Perfect Dark's Farsight XR-20.

Spoiler

A sniper rifle that can see through walls. But also zoom in to cover the entire map. Find a decent camping spot and you win! The rage I used to cause using this gun among our friends😄

Ivy's Snake Sword in Soul Calibur also comes to mind. Not so much for the "hurt me, mummy" meme's. But the fact you can control the entire arena very quickly. If someone doesn't know what Ivy can do.

I'm gonna second the Torque Bow from Gears.  Charge weapons are often fun and that is a really good one.  It's not an exciting weapon but I think the Battle Rifle from Halo is the perfect bread and butter weapon that feels really good to use too, in a sense not unlike Doom's shotgun.

To get a little more unusual when it comes to Perfect Dark I like the Laptop Gun, probably more so for multiplayer but still fun when things went wrong and you were getting hunted down and using its sentry turret form.

And if I was a massive nerd and wanted a replica weapon for myself it would be Squall's gunblade from FFVIII.

a lot of mine are from id games. I loved Quake, and the super shotgun from that especially, the chainsaw from Doom, and the plasma gun. As mentioned, the new Wolfenstein games have some great weapons

I really liked the sword from Metal Gear Reveangance too

rdr2_screenshot-095-181c.jpg

Readers discuss the games they feel don’t deserve their good reputation, including classics such as Halo and Bloodborne.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Gadfly and didn’t necessarily have to be about games that are considered classics, but just titles you think are undeserving of their critical acclaim.

There were plenty of sacred cows being sacrificed, although in many cases people were happy to admit the game was good – it just wasn’t for them.

Picture says it all RDR2 is vastly overrated.

30 minutes ago, Nag said:

Picture says it all RDR2 is vastly overrated.

True story.

I got to it rather late but I've probably got to say FF7. You could argue that I just had to be there to understand the significance of the game. And while that's probably true I would counter with the argument that I have had latter day playthrus of similar games from that era, chrono trigger and super Mario RPG , and loved them.

On the subject of you had to be there, I guess I will say Mass Effect 2. I think Ilium and Omega do all the heavy lifting in that game. It's a weirdly paced adventure with some spotty story-telling in some of the loyalty missions and it's the most streamlined RPG of the entire trilogy. It's also really long and tbh only about 2/3s of the cast are anyway interesting. It also has the least engaging action out of the trilogy, both 1 and 3 have much more options. The locations you fight in 2 are mostly just corridors, they didnt figure out combat arenas until the third game. Out of all of them ME2 has the strongest sense of 'everyone has to copy Gears of War now', except for some needless turret sequences in ME3.

I wonder if people would be as sure of it being the best one if they revisited it with 2022 eyes. I think the game is good, but the other 2 are better

On the other hand, the focus on crime gangs was a cool pivot

I was actually the opposite with FF7. I played the original for the first time over lockdown and adored it. But wasn’t keen on Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger when played years later. Still enjoyed them though. 

I’ve got hundreds for this. Both RDR games, the Mario Galaxy games and Odyssey, Hades, Elden Ring, Halo 1-3, Zelda MM, WW and BotW, Inscryption, Monster Hunter World, Batman Arkham City, Overwatch, Dishonored, Resident Evil 2 Remake, PUBG, Tetris, Undertale to name a few. 

Some of my favourite games are on your overrated list there @mfnick 😀.

I was wondering if someone was going to say Eldin ring. Haven't played it myself but have been watching my kid play it on and off. He loves it but I'm not feeling it at all. 

I'm not looking to upset anyone, and there's a lot of beloved games that I don't think are all that good (each to their own and all that), but I'll leave it at Mario Odyssey, largely because I remember the hype then the disconnect between critics and players

It's not dreadful, it's just too flat for too much of the game

oh, Undertale is a good shout. Clever, but not fun to play 

I was pretty underwhelmed with FF7 when I played it on the PS1.

I'd already played a bunch of JRPGs on the Megadrive, and things like Daggerfall and Lands of Lore on PC, and Bards Tale & Bloodwych on C64- and so I never really understood all the fuss & hype around FF7, as it all seemed pretty average in comparison to what I'd already played.

Otherwise BotW is one that never particular clicked with me.

21 minutes ago, shinymcshine said:

Otherwise BotW is one that never particular clicked with me.

That one immediately came to mind for me. I've played through Zelda 2, the original "black sheep" of the series. Yet BotW is the first in the series that left me completely cold.

Being my first Final Fantasy. I adored every second of FF7, back in '97. However, the more of the series I've played over the years. In particular when 1-6 came out on PSOne. The less awe I've had for it. So I would agree it is overrated. FF6, for example, is a superior story in every way. Some will never know because they can't see beyond 16bit sprite art.

I'd add Darks Souls 1 here, too. Coming from Demon's Souls, I could see how derivative it was. Basically a rebranding with minor tweaks. In terms of originality, ironically Dark 2 brought the most to the table within that entire trilogy.

The final third of the game is also a rushed mess. Which a lot of the rabid Dark 1 fanboys tend to gloss over.

I remember having the choice of buying either GTA or Final Fantasy VII not long after buying the original PlayStation... of course I went with GTA as that was more to my taste (so I thought, at the time)... I think I returned GTA the same day and replaced it with FF VII and loved every second.

One of the most overrated games I’ve ever seen is Deadly Premonition. I get why people like it ironically. I get why people like it in spite of itself. It’s quirky, it’s dark, it’s different. But it’s also absolute dog shit.

Then I feel like it propelled forward and people forgot it was a internet joke and are like “This game is good because it’s like the TV show”

Too desperate for that outsider/hipster/internet cred that game is hyped up garbage