passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

They obviously can't do 'the bit' with BioShock but a story about a place like Rapture where we have billionaires going to space does lend itself to some point making and satire.  It's got potential but we'll see.  It'd look nice if they used some real sets at least.

It's always annoying because I could forsee I decent film in a lot of these projects but making movies is hard and everything coming together is a bit of a miracle most of the time.  Like I can imagine a fun Streets of Rage film and you just have to hope it comes together.

I don't know if I'd want a Metroid film since it's influence is all ready inspired by Alien, but so many games do have a heavy film influence so it could be a moot point since I'd probably really like to see an Army of Darkness-like Resident Evil 4.

Golden Axe could be a fun film. A lighter hearted tone, between Conan and D&D. The main issue with video game films is the studio-based idea to fixate on the 'video game' bit in them. Instead of just making a film from source material, as they would do with a book.

1MGG_2021_06_14_scr_01-79eb.jpg

Readers discuss their favourite games of the Xbox Series X/S and PlayStation 5 generation, from Returnal to Resident Evil Village.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Cubby and since there are so few current gen exclusives included cross-gen titles that are also on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Despite the relative lack of choice, even two years into the new generation, most people were impressed by the overall quality of games, with Elden Ring and Returnal being particularly popular.

So, not current generation then...🙄

Anyhow I had a good time at the end of last year with Halo Infinite and GotG then there's also Resident Evil Village. Favourite so far though Forza Horizon 5 without doubt.

All the best stuff I've played has been cross gen, more often PS4 games just played on a PS5 (Ys being the standout, with Scarlet Nexus being the PS5 version).

I think The Pathless was PS5 only and I really liked that, more so than Ratchet I think

Bit of a lame duck question. Since they had to add: "since there are so few current gen exclusives included cross-gen titles that are also on Xbox One and PlayStation 4. They should have just picked another question that didn't need additional caveats.

DeS, Returnal, Elden Ring... 🤷‍♂️

I'll go for Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX. Since the cross gen precedent was set.

Demon’s Souls Remake, Astro’s Playroom, Ratchet & Clank have all been great with Returnal being the very best of next gen so far for me.

18 months in and Xbox is yet to deliver a game I think of as next gen. Hopefully this year will be the year.

Probably cyberpunk for me. Cross gen of course, but then it hates the last gen with a vengeance.

It's a hard question though because, like most people, I've used my current gen console for older games, plus there's that Microsoft thing of not really recognising generations as such.

Half Life Alyx maybe, I dunno, it's the most next gen thing I've played. It's not even that it breaks ground VR wise it's just the only thing that felt 'new' and novel to me, and had a big budget to back it up

Multiplat probably GG strive. But doesn't really feel like the gen has started yet. Right now between the long transition between systems and my steam deck I feel like I'm headed backwards gaming wise, playing all the Mass Effect games instead of the new shit

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

But doesn't really feel like the gen has started yet.

Exactly. That's why I think it too early for this kind of question to even be posed.

I think the issue is, perhaps, as also suffered on PS4/Xbox One, is there feels like fewer AAA blockbuster games being released (compared to how it felt on 360/PS3 and their predecessors) - esp. when you think there's been no new GTA or ES games on the last gen, and instead of 'new' IP we got a bunch of 'remasters' too.

However, there are many more great indie games (without dragging down into the definition of 'indie') but many of those are still cross released rather than PS5/X/S exclusive.

If they cut the cross gen cord, it might force the hand of a PS5/X/S development boom. At the moment, it appears like a crutch that devs can lean against.

Ive really enjoyed quite a few, halo, returnal, forza horizon 5, cyberpunk. If you'd call them next gen i don't know, probably cyberpunk was the most next gen imo. Forza looks amazing too but it looks amazing on the old consoles as well. Or maybe its more the better framerates and faster loading that is next gen these days.

What a load of bollocks. May as well just ask what’s your favourite game of the last couple of years if cross gen is included. Although without its severely limited.

Im sticking to current gen only. Mine would be The Medium.

J/K. It’s Astro. Yea, there’s not much to it but what is there is brill. 

This isn't really answering the question, but also seems like the best place to put it as I've not really played enough to comment in the thread, but I started Guardians of the Galaxy the other night and that feels like the most "next-gen" game I've played so far on my S. It looks pretty impressive for the most part, especially the animations of the characters. It is still a bit uncanny valley/dead behind the eyes, but it's getting closer. Not sure about the game as a whole yet, but it certainly looks impressive

resident-evil-main-new-2-859f.jpg

Readers discuss the most enjoyable weapons to use in games, from a simple bow and arrow to the iconic cerebral bore from Turok.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Malam and covered everything from a gun in a first person shooter to a favoured sword in a role-playing game.

Plenty of classics were mentioned, from the likes of Destiny, GoldenEye 007, and Half-Life 2, but the overall favourite seemed to be a simple shotgun, especially the one from Doom.

Obviously I'm going to go with one of my favourite gaming series here, Gears of War has some seriously satisfying weapons that only get better when taking them in to multiplayer. Whether it's chainsawing an opponent with the Lancer, frying a whole team with the Hammer of Dawn or simply bodying someone with the Gnasher shotgun. Top pick though goes to the Torque Bow, sticking that and knowing the enemy has that split second of knowing they're fucked is brilliant... and getting a headshot with the weapon is simply joy.

Second choice is just how good simply throwing an Axe felt in the last God of War.

Gears is a great shout - it’s the chainsaw lancer and sniper rifle for me. 

Blades of Chaos

Buster Sword - iconic

Black - all the weapons

Triple Chaingun in DOOM Eternal. 

Katana - Katana Zero

Kusabimaru - Sekiro

Auto Shotgun in the new Wolfenstein games