passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I'm amazed I haven't already bought a physical game this morning tbh

I was pretty heavily in on digital, largely because pc was my primary platform, it's definitely more convenient. But as time has gone on and platforms have been switched off (Wii is the primary one so far, but I've lost android games I paid for) it's felt more of a waste. Physical doesn't mean you'll always be able to play a game, drives fail, connectors erode, and we may be about to see a platform holder make backwards compatibility happen exclusively for digital purchases (anything not on dvd at least), that's before you get in to the issues of day 1 patches. But I do think we'll see the likes of Sony and Nintendo shut off more servers in the next few years

30 minutes ago, Nag said:

PS5 still sounds shit spinning up a disc doesn't help matters either...

Oh yea, this is annoying to be fair. I’d forgotten how bad it is until I played FFVII again this month. Why the hell it keeps having to do it even when you’re not playing the game in the disc drive or after the game has loaded up makes zero sense too. I can’t even hear my XSX but the PS5 makes itself very well known. 

I'm definitely not a physical media enjoyer anymore. Whenever I moved house it would suck carting that stuff along, or selling a bunch of games and stuff, so I stopped getting physical.

But I mostly play on PC now anyway so I don't really have the choice. Out of all the companies sony seem to be the ones most eager to drop legacy store support. I'm guessing there's some really bad technical debt in those old stores they want to get rid of or something, but maybe we will be getting ps3 games on ps5 soon. Nintendo have obviously already done it multiple times I think, at least there old systems are easy to pirate now lol. Like I ain't pro piracy, but well if you're just going to take people's ability to download their purchases away I think it's 100 percent justified.

I buy both, somewhat driven by price - I rarely ever buy new releases - albeit much of the enjoyment from buying physical boxed games was removed when they stopped doing manuals and maps - just having a disc/cart in an empty box now feels soulless.

Furthermore my PS4 occasionally ejects discs at random during play (maybe 1 or twice a month) this sometimes means losing a fair bit of progress since the last save - so digital removes that issue.

So I've got a couple of games on disc & digital (where I bought the latter when on sale, such as W3 GotY for £6.99 in the PSN sale) - noting that there's not much of a 2nd hand market for many older discs.

For the NS I've got a mix of carts & digital - it does feel a bit of a faff having to remember to take certain carts too when travelling - and I get paranoid about losing them due to their tiny size.

I mostly buy digital in sales as generally don't spend more than £30 on a game with 2 or 3 exceptions a year.  And I don't do the trading route because I've often regretted getting rid of a number of games and they lose value so quickly so you gotta blast through it quickly and it becomes such a faff.

And I do forget to check for deals on physical games these days.

Only time I buy boxed games is if it’s a game I’m buying day 1, because they’re usually much cheaper than digital. Also if I’m buying day 1 I’m probably super excited about it and it will be cool to go on the shelf.

The other time I buy boxed is if it’s a Switch game because the Switch doesn’t have much memory and Nintendo currently have no track record for honouring purchases when moving to their next system. Games I bought on the Wii/Wii U for example are stuck there and there’s no sign this will change when the Switch 2 comes around.

Where as Xbox will still let me redownload games I bought 10+ years ago on the X360.

Most of my purchases are all digital now though and almost 100% bought at sale prices. Which is sad because by the time this gen is over I won’t really have much of a PS5/XSX collection. On the flip side I almost literally have no place to put new games anyway so it’s probably for the best

32 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

People balk at paying a subscription for a game, but some games like that are all the game you need really.

If it proves it’s value yeah but for me I just can’t imagine playing 1 game enough to warrant a subscription. I need constant changes and variety when playing games. I’ve played 5 different games today. 

12 hours ago, mfnick said:

Tales of Arise just cost me £32, it’s £50 on Xbox Store. I just can’t get my head around  you all digital lot who think that’s ok.

I paid less than £32 last month for a digital copy in the sales on the Xbox store with some cheap credit, and was given £3.60 in Reward points in return as well. 

I'm 100% digital on Series X and PS4, have a couple disc games for PS5 (it's not my console), and am probably about 50/50 split on the Switch. I only tend to collect Nintendo games.

I love my digital Xbox collection. I just checked, and I have 188 Xbox 360 titles digitally (available to play on Series X, even more on the 360). And tell a lie, I do have one physical: Driver San Francisco, as it's backward compatible but not on the marketplace to purchase.

On 23/01/2022 at 10:17, Nag said:

The fact that the PS5 still sounds shit spinning up a disc doesn't help matters either... silence is golden and all that, I'm kind've sad I didn't just go for the digital PS5 now with the amount of discs I've actually used in the thing.

On 23/01/2022 at 10:49, mfnick said:

Oh yea, this is annoying to be fair. I’d forgotten how bad it is until I played FFVII again this month. Why the hell it keeps having to do it even when you’re not playing the game in the disc drive or after the game has loaded up makes zero sense too. I can’t even hear my XSX but the PS5 makes itself very well known. 

Have either of you put a disc into your XSX recently? I did for the first (and only) time in October when I got Sonic Colours Ultimate and it sounded really loud like a computer from 1999 when I put the disc in, was actually pretty shocked at how loud the thing is with a disc in it as the rest of the time its silent, even booting it up with a disc in was noisy compared to the silence of no disc inserted. I've very rarely used discs in it though where I've used discs a lot more frequently with my PS5 (which actually isn't as loud as my XSX with a disc in).

As for digital v physical, well it's an easy choice for me, physical every day of the week. Games included with Game Pass will obviously all be digital but outside of that I still buy very little digitally, sometimes the odd cheap game in a sale or big releases like RDR2 or TLOUP2 I've not wanted to rely on the postman. For me, it just makes no sense to go digital, you're leaving money on the table and with the price of games being as high as they are at the moment (in particular PS5 1P titles) if I buy a game for £65 and can sell it for £50-£55 a few weeks later then its only cost me a net £10-£15 compared to the £65-£70 digital outlay. Obviously digital stuff can be mitigated by using prepaid cards which bring the cost down £5-£10 so that helps, but its still leaving money on the table. 

Maybe one day I'll earn enough where I won't have to sell all my games after I finish them but that won't be anytime soon lol.

Just now, DisturbedSwan said:

Have either of you put a disc into your XSX recently

Yeah, I recently played through Guardians of the Galaxy and that’s one I own on Disc. Couldnt hear the XSX at all while playing it. Strange, wonder if they used different drives for certain batches? 

12 hours ago, retroed said:

paid less than £32 last month for a digital copy in the sales on the Xbox store with some cheap credit, and was given £3.60 in Reward points in return as well. 

Nice one. That’s usually the exception not the norm though. And I’ll still be able to sell

mine on for anything between £10-30 afterwards. Especially if it’s like other Tales physical Xbox versions where they barely make any copies so resale stays relatively high. 

2 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Yeah, I recently played through Guardians of the Galaxy and that’s one I own on Disc. Couldnt hear the XSX at all while playing it. Strange, wonder if they used different drives for certain batches? 

Yeah that's weird then, I think I must've got a little unlucky, maybe I need to use more discs in it to break in the disc drive more? Lol, who knows. 

Just to throw into the discussion : LICENCING 

Whether it's music licensing, and the omission of tracks on GTA reissues, or IP characters, like when Deadpool was taken off sale - it's an important factor as to whether you want the assurance that you access and play games - where at least the physical copy gives you an assurance (or access to buy) the original product.

Noted that digital should allow you to redownload purchased items, but clearly not withdrawn ones.

However, is my PS4 with the PT demo still worth a few quid ??

Does the licencing impact influence whether to buy physical or digital?