passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Unfortunately VR sort of ruined the immersion impact of fps view on a screen for me.

But I think REVII had a lot of other things going for it, it had great sound design and the few jump scares it had were actually pretty well executed. People say they hate jump scares but you need jump scares, but jump scares are like an f-bomb. Used in moderation they are more effective.

On the subject of horror I will make another slightly post-seasonal recommendation for Devotion. Not all that scary but the best P.T. clone imo

It is hard to explain, but it has the opposite effect (floating hands). Think about it for a second, do you have to look at your elbow and arms to see where they are? Your brain tells you where it is without looking. The funny thing is that VR is the same, you see your hands but they're not just floating around. Your brain fills in the blanks as well. In real life you hardly ever look at your arms and rarely look at your hands. You look beyond them at other stuff (if you were just looking at your hands all the time you wouldn't even see the zombos lol)

On the contrary, playing a game which does render arms and a body has the effect of taking me out of it cause my brain rejects that shit immediately cause it knows it ain't real.

Halo-Infinite-2020_Ascension_Demo_Campaign_06_1920x1080-adb0.jpg

Readers discuss the games they’re most excited about for the rest of 2021, including Battlefield 2042 and the next gen Skyrim remaster.

Christmas is getting closer and unfortunately the release schedules are not getting any plumper, with the pandemic resulting in one of shortest line-ups in living memory, but we wanted to know what you’re most looking forward to and why.

We heard from a lot of happy Xbox fans but other than that the only games that seemed widely anticipated were Battlefield 2042 and the Skyrim and GTA remasters.

Has to be the Chief doesn't it?...

Horizon 5 is out so I that’s me done for rest of year. Nothing else really excites. Never been a Halo fan & now it’s doing open world busy work such as outposts I’m even less excited about this one. But may as well give it a go I suppose 

I wish I could say Halo but I'm not sure I'm going to like the open world approach.

The most intriguing release coming up for me right now is probably Chorus, but that could also be a game where the developers got a bit too ambitious. On the safer side, SMTV and Pokémon.

Pokemon, GTA3, Halo and maybe Solar Ash because I really like that developer’s last game but the trailers don’t look great. Still want to play it though. 

Also I am curious about Battlefield. I’ve barely played the games before, not a fan at all. But this one looks maybe like something I will play but it will depend heavily on reviews. 

2 hours ago, HandsomeDead said:

it's probably the multiplayer I'm more interested in.  I dunno why because I'm terrible at them now.

yeah same here! (Halo)

also looking forward to forza horizon. Think id be up for trying smtV too but its maybe too soon after playing nocturne.

edit - hopefully there will be something interesting come out that ive forgotten about or something.

I'm rather excited about San Andreas. This game is part of my unholy trinity - the three adult games I was told to try by friends when they found out I'd bought one of my kids a playstation for Christmas. Having never been a gamer I stupidly gave them a whirl when the young'un had gone to bed. Been gaming ever since.

The others the trinity are Resi 4, and Sands of time, by the way.

The depth of nostalgia I'm starting to feel about driving around a freshly minted San Andreas is surprising even me.

Probably nothing else now for the rest of the year since I've got Horizon 5.

I want to pick up GOTG at some point as it sounds right in my wheelhouse but there's nothing else now that I'm super looking forward to, I'll give Halo a go I suppose but it's not something I'm probably gonna play on Day 1 if I bother with it at all. 

shadow-of-the-colossus-uhd-8k-wallpaper.jpg

Readers discuss the most enjoyable boss encounters of recent years, including the likes of Metal Gear Solid 4 and Bayonetta.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Fellows, and was limited to games from the PlayStation 3, 4, or 5 era (although Shadows Of The Colossus got mentioned a lot, thanks to its PlayStation 4 remake).

The consensus was that boss battles are still an important feature for modern action games, with titles as recent as Metroid Dread being praised for their interesting set pieces.

I'm really struggling to think of any tbf, I guess the most recent would probably be the Kraken encounters in Gears 5... those were pretty good.

And the penultimate Nemesis fight in Resident Evil 3 gets a thumbs up too.

I'll cheat with DeS Remake and go for False King Allant. Still my favourite "final" boss in Souls.  Although I still haven't finished it, Experiment no z 57 from Dread gets a shout out too.

It’s a few years old now but the “Stranger” boss fight at the beginning of God of War 2018 was amazing and maybe the highlight of the whole game for me. It’s just when the guy punches Kratos over his house. The set up of that scene and that surprise is so good. You know something is clearly up with the guy but you’re not sure what, and then boom like holy fuck. We got ourselves a fight. 

I guess the boss fight itself is only Ok, it’s more just that moment but it’s standout for me.

@Nagwill probably know this, but what was that boss in the first Gears (I played the remake by the way) where you had to tempt him with noise to knock down doors to get him outside. That was when you got to use the hammer of dawn for the first time if memory serves me right. Epic.

Boss battles definitely aren't a gaming highlight for me tho. Half the time they're just a badly designed mess that leave a bad taste. I've tried to banish most of Psychonauts 2s from memory. And don't get me started on the bosses in Deus Ex HR.

I can almost recall a hugely underwhelming final boss battle, from either Koudelka or Vagrant Story, where the build I had meant the boss couldn't really kill me (either due to me having a bunch of healing potions/spells) but the only weapon I had that did damage to it was a rather pathetic, but correctly magically aligned, dagger that did 1-3 damage per hit, against its 500+ hps.

Took around 90 mins to kill it, talk about death by a thousand cuts....