passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

1 hour ago, bellow said:

I quite liked other m, too. 

Oh no, Other M discourse.

The Ninja Gaiden engine gives it pretty slick action and pointing at the screen to seamlessly move into first person is cool.  Weaken enemies, find safety, lock into position and go into FP and unleash missiles.  RE4-esque if you ask me.  The exploring is rolled back a bit much with secrets not being as interestingly hidden like they were in Prime 2 but they were hardly in your face.  

The justification for your upgrades is very meme-able but it seems like lots of people hang their whole opinion on that aspect which is ridiculous.

I don't think it's an awesome Metroid game but I definitely think it's interesting.  You can do a lot worse.

And it's wild to me that this is an unusual take.

Any long running series that exists during different technologies, developers and trends is gonna have divisive entries.  Or you can be Jeff Minter and tweak Tempest for nearly 30 years.

Me at the Other M discourse

Samus+Other+M.gif

Bloody iconic

The Elder Scrolls and Monster Hunter are the ones that immediately spring to mind, although with TES you're looking at some modding which might disqualify.

Civ tend to be reliable games too.

I sort of want to say Football Manager games too, despite not really playing them, I hear nothing but great things with each iteration.

2 hours ago, OCH said:

The only thing I really remember about it was the space octopus boss at the end was quite good. 

Spoiler

Just had a google..

Phantoon.png

Oof I didn't even realise at the time, that was Phantoon😱

For context: 

hqdefault.jpg

OG Phantoon ala Super Metroid.

Other M chat spoilered to not distract the topic 

Spoiler

I didn't realise that was Phantoon either.  Dunno why that never clicked because it is obvious.

Apart from Ridley the only returning boss I remember was Nightmare from Fusion since it was a bit fresher in my mind.  And I always liked that gloopy idiot

maxresdefault.jpg

cf644d26b4c22ef4-600x338.jpg

Other M had some good gameplay if you get past the unwieldy controls. There was something oddly satisfying about pulling off a just dodge, flicking the Wiimote towards the screen and having your beam instantly charged to unleash carnage. I played through it on hard which locked you out of collecting additional energy tanks, meaning you basically couldn't get hit at all. Really fast-paced and rewarding and the fanservice bosses were pretty cool, too.

Unfortunately everything else was garbage, mostly the linear design and the horrible storyline, dialogue and Samus' characterisation. As a standalone new IP it probably would have been better received at the time.

3 hours ago, OCH said:

I'd forgotten that existed. Has any fighting game made a spin-off that is actually good? MK Mythologies, Special Forces, Soul Calibur Legends and Death By Degrees. They are the only ones I can think of, and they're all terrible.

Puzzle Fighter is pretty good but yeah, that's the only exception I can think of.

4 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I sort of want to say Football Manager games too, despite not really playing them, I hear nothing but great things with each iteration.

I'm not sure how the whole SI/Sega/Eidos/SqEnix thing between Championship Manager & Football Manager actually worked out in terms of which was/is the continuous franchise.

Either way it's nothing to do with Kevin Toms.....

H2x1_NSwitchDS_ResidentEvil4_image1600w-040f.jpg

Readers reveal the games they think are worth a full 10/10 score, from Half-Life 2 to Panzer Dragoon Saga.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader notoriouschucky but works with the assumption that 10/10 does not mean a game is literally perfect, just the best of the best.

This ended up being one of the most popular Hot Topics of recent months, with everyone seemingly have their own secret list of games they feel are worthy of the ultimate accolade.

Lots of obvious answers for me but the one I want to shout out is Mario Kart 8. Talking about that game makes me excited. It is absolutely superb. It’s my second favourite game of the last generation and one of the best games I’ve played full stop. 

Hopefully they make a sequel one day 🥺

yeah, I'd probably say Witcher 3 and Metroid Prime, although I think Metroid Prime 3 is my favourite of the series. 

Virtua Fighter 2 was absolutely a 10/10 game, Sensible Soccer would be one, and Shining Force 3

I'm not sure I can think of too much from the recent past. I seem to remember giving some of the Dishonored DLC a 10, pretty rare you get a game without something that just takes a point off for me. Some people will have loads of 10s I think

Even though I still remember GTM's initial 10/10 review of Demon's Souls, back in 2009, which I agreed with then. I don't think I give it the same now. Especially not the remake. It was something (relatively) new at the time and From did their job very well. But, I don't think any of the Souls series is 10/10.

REmake 1 is another example. A solid 9/10 to me. But is it perfect? No.

5 minutes ago, retroed said:

I'd give 10/10 to these

Tetris

DOOM

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario World

Super Mario Kart

Street Fighter II Turbo

Advance Wars

Hotline Miami

NieR Automata

I'd agree with most of those. Aside from the ones I haven't played: Doom, Hotline Miami and NieR Automata

50 minutes ago, OCH said:

Even though I still remember GTM's initial 10/10 review of Demon's Souls, back in 2009, which I agreed with then. I don't think I give it the same now. Especially not the remake. It was something (relatively) new at the time and From did their job very well. But, I don't think any of the Souls series is 10/10.

REmake 1 is another example. A solid 9/10 to me. But is it perfect? No.

I used to try think about games as 10’s in terms of how good the game is or how close to perfect it is. Does it do this right, does it meet certain criteria, what is the quality of yada, yada, how new are the ideas, etc. 

Then there were examples where I found myself liking bad games more than good games and it all became backwards. I know Doom Eternal is a better game than Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot. Going by the old way I would rate a game DBZK would get smoked. But it’s a big lie because I enjoyed DBZK multiple times more than Doom. How can I really say well this game is a 9 and the other game is a 5 when given the option I would play the 5/10 game every time. Clearly I like one more than the other so if I’m being honest how can I rate the game I like less higher?

So examples and conflicts like that have made me evolve how I think a game rates. Over the past few years games have become way more about what do I actually enjoy vs what I think I should be enjoying, did the game give me an experience I actually found value in instead of a super well made game that didn’t challenge or stimulate me in anyway, is a game perfect or is it actually fun. 

There’s a whole topic I’ve been thinking about for a few months and that’s games and the underlying experience. But how it relates to today’s topic is the way it’s made me evolve the way I rate games. Fun, enrichment, challenge and overall enjoyment has become more important to me than how perfect a game is.

Game ratings have merit as talked about before with Metacritic and consensus and things like that. But how those numbers are achieved is much more honest when embraced on a pure subjective level than a false sense of true objectivity, when outside of the technology there’s very little objectivity to be found. So how perfect a game is, for me it’s become so less important than how fun is the game. 

Although sometimes they overlap and you get a Mario Kart 8 lol