passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I think if you're a live service/MMO junkie PC probably makes a lot more sense with the cost aspect of it (mostly just playing a smaller selection of games)

Nvidia geforce seamless tho, I dunno. They make you log in for that shit, you can't change settings on the overlay if you get disconnected from the internet. They've made it pretty bad overtime I think. Maybe it was better before.

I had PCs from 1995-2010, alongside, MD, PS1, PS2, Wii & 360 but haven't really bothered for a while.

It was more to do with games I enjoyed playing, whether Sim City, Populous, Theme Hospital, Gabriel Knight, DoTT/Lucasarts games, Doom / Quake / DN 3D, then the Elder Scroll games (Daggerfall, Morrowind & Oblivion) and the Baldur's Gate games (and other RPGs of similar ilk). I also played Guild Wars from Prophecies, through to Nightfall, Factions and Eye of the North expansions. So I was never one for playing PC games that needed a top end spec, a mid-price machine was always suitable.

I think more than anything it was when we moved house that my PC gaming fell off - we use to have the PC in the kitchen/diner, so PC gaming was always semi-social, like console gaming, which was always a front room activity (not to say that at the odd ends of the day it wasn't solo) . But moving to a different house, where PC went into the upstairs "office", with occasional working from home, it took the shine of going up there to play alone, and so did any urgency to update/upgrade, and whilst I had a dalliance with OnLive for a short period, it wasn't great due to poor connection speed, I left PC gaming behind. The desktop machine is still there, and wife & daughter both have much better spec'd laptops, now neglected for occasional use, as phone/tablet takes care of emails/internet/social media, so whenever I've fancied occasional gaming on those I inevitably end up just watching system updates downloading etc.

I get both excited and frustrated with PC game ports coming over to consoles though, predominantly RPGs or strategy games, as the controls/interface never really feel well optimised to the host platform (Joycons are no substitute for a mouse) or the interface isn't set up well for TV viewing (font sizes too small, not adjustable). 

20 hours ago, mfnick said:

I don’t get how “proud” and snobbish some people seem to be about not liking them anymore. Not aimed at you btw. Just saying. 

None taken, just because there's a disagreement means it's an open attack.

It's not really a proud or snobbish stance, it's a case of just being a bit ambivalent to them. Generally I couldn't give less of a fuck if I tried, but if there's a game I really like I'll go for them all.

The mixed feelings go deeper than that though. When I was really into them on 360 I couldn't get enough, but then they were stopping me from playing games I wanted to because if the achievements looked hard I wouldn't bother. Then you have the folks that play games just for achievements, which to me is lunacy.

Like @one-armed dwarf mentioned, I do think they lost a bit of lustre over the years. It's rare you get a game that has a really nice achievement, it makes me wish there was a 3rd party outside of the devs that looked at the games and then modified the achievements to be somewhat parallel to each other so there were ones that were fun, but also one that took effort.

I do wish here was some sort of framework they'd follow on steam as well, some games that are on all platforms have thousands of achievements. There's no regimented way of doing it, even down to some games following the MS way of labelling the achievements, some follow the Sony way with the last achievement being "the plat", others just go all out and have achievements all over while some have none at all.

Same with tracking as well, I think steam did the tracking long before it was a thing on MS consoles. Not every game does it though. There's no uniformity.

We do have trading cards though, which is something I forgot to mention before. It's ultimately fucking pointless, but I sort of like collecting badges and selling off cards of games that I won't collect the set for. It's a reason to boot the game, you'll get about 50p back from it by selling the cards. Ends up funding your wallet which in turn goes to buying new games. Not really a selling point, but it's there.

Imagine if games had some sort of easily interactable public API where anybody could 'script' their own achievement, like community made achievements. The scripts would not be anymore complex than a gambit in FFXII. Something like 'beat boss == true; used a gun == false', congrats you got the achievement for beating a boss in a completely pointless way. Like killing a lynel with a chicken in BOTW.

Ok tbh that's asking too much but I think it's a cool but completely unworkable idea.

If I was a developer I'd put in a 999 points achievement for pressing start at the title screen and a 1 point achievement for beating my game. It would need to be a pretty long game though so that the joke really overstays its welcome.

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Odd number achievements can get fucked in the bin. 

Multiples of 5 are fine... everything else can get fucked in the bin.

e4e67668228df3eb050e64232a664f454ab7b030-1bdd.jpg

Readers reveal the games they’ve always tried to enjoy but could never get on with, including classics like Persona 5 and Metal Gear Solid 5.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was inspired by reader Ishi and covered every kind of game, from the obscure to the famous. Why was it you didn’t connect with the game and was it because the game was different to what you expected or was there a problem with the difficultly, story or other elements?

In the end most of the games mentioned were famous ones, including multiple nods to all-time classics such as Zelda: Breath Of The Wild and The Witcher 3.

Theres been a few over the years but the biggest, most recent one is definitely Zelda BotW. Lots of people count it as one of, if not the best of all time. I just couldn’t get on with it at all. I will say I did actually enjoy a lot of what I played but the stamina meter was the main deal breaker for me for reasons I’ve explained before. Huge environment to traverse but you can only run a car length - fuck that.

I also found the controls really counter intuitive and felt like I was always pressing the wrong buttons, nothing was where I’d expect it to be. I would have gotten used to that at some point though, but still, any annoyance after the stamina bullshit was more irritating than it should be. 

More vague but I’ve also not got along with any looter shooter - Destiny, Division etc. I’ve hated all Battle Royale games. All recent Ubisoft open world games. Basically all GaaS type ones I’ve bounced off. It’s been a tough gen for me since they’ve all been the majority of games last gen along with remasters. Thank God for Sony’s first party games and indies. 

Animal Crossing is another. So tedious. & the camera is so zoomed in it makes it difficult for me to play. I don’t know what people see in that game at all.

Edit - thought of yet another. Bloodborne. Making me repeat the same 10-15 minutes of tedious normal enemies I can beat easily to reach a boss who can kill me in 1 shot before I’ve learnt any of his patterns isn’t much fun.

loads and loads of supposed classics. I can't stand Ocarina of Time, I like very few Zeldas. I don''t like GTA. I don't like the Souls game, or their legacy. I'm not especially big on rouge-likes. Hollow Knight can fuck off. In terms olf much older games, I've never clicked with the original Outrun, and I'm not especially keen on Street Fighter 2 considering how much I like the genre and a few of the sequels

For me it's metal gear. I've tried and failed enough to know I can't bear the bloody things. And I love stealth normally, with Deus ex and splinter cell being favourites, not to mention  a recent playthru of Dishonored 2, which had that game peeking stealthily over the wall into my all time top 10.

They're just so boring, and pretentious with it.

I'm just unable with rogue likes to trick my mind into thinking my time is not being wasted by unlucky RNG. I get the point of what they are doing but I don't think I will ever try and play another one. 

The starting again stuff with Souls is in a similar vein for me even though I really like those games. I'm still of the view they would be better with a consumable item which teleports you to a fixed position that you can select yourself. The way I see it it's no more cheating than relying on summons to cheese bosses, except this is a way of cheating the part of the game which is just repetive and boring rather than challenging and difficult

So with that attitude it's no wonder rogue like just feels like a stupid way to build a game to me. Even tho every other aspect of Hades is easily 10/10.

It's happened twice. Once I got punted off a cliff I just climbed, and the other time I got suckerpunched while I was fighting and ended up in the campfire.

Seriously, fuck this game. If any other dev put this out this shit would be called out, but because it's Nintendo it gets a free pass.

I agree with BotW. The gameplay is mostly not fun. Especially the tablet stuff and Weapon durability. Also the rest of it is so barebones and derivate. If you took away the Zelda skin, it could be anything else and I don't think it would be as lauded without that skin either. Kind of like the opposite to Star Fox Adventures.

Persona - Wherein micromanaging relationships is "The Meat" of the game. I just phased out for the most part.

Nothing else comes to mind right away. Although I have a few disliked series that are already well documented.