passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Tripping in Smash Bros. Brawl is good actually

This isn't really my opinion (I'm not insane), but a game pundit's who I follow and it would make the competitive Smash community rage.  It was just funny to watch.  And I do think they genuinely believed it.  It's definitely a controversial opinion I like.  The vast majority are just contrerian bores.

That's my controversial opinion, I guess ?

38 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Super Mario 64 was massively over-rated back in the day, and remains my least favourite entry in the series. 

Agreed. When Banjo-Kazooie came out, I thought it was better than Mario 64 in every way. Still do. Likewise the non-Fludd sections of Sunshine were a lot better than anything 64 did.

Never played Brawl, as far as I can remember. I missed out on the WiiU library altogether to be fair.

Do I have controversial gaming opinions? Someone remind me. I feel like my opinions about movies are more controversial.

There have been games that I enjoyed more than their sequels (Kingdom Hearts over KH2, The Witcher over TW2) but I still enjoyed the sequels. I guess my undying love for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 compared to XC runs against critical opinion, but I’m right and they’re wrong. Clearly.

I thought Pokemon Sun and Moon were pretty shit, from what I played (about 20 hours). I seem to remember them getting rave reviews. I thought Bioshock Infinite was just a 6/10 game. Similarly I don’t think I would give Dragon Quest XI more than a 6/10. I loved Breath of the Wild but not to the extent of its critical acclaim.

I guess I like Pillars of Eternity a lot less than most, although I still think it’s a solid game.

Just been reminded of another unpopular opinion I’ve got thanks to Eurogamer. Tetris. Its a dull, boring overhyped snoozefest. Perfect game

my arse.

Tetris Effect is pretty good though. Only one I’ve ever got enjoyment out of. 

While this thread is a brief safe space for opinions deemed shit by other people I want to say that Edith Finch is not good and does nothing to leverage the strengths of the medium WRT how it can be used to tell stories. 

Looking at the thread for it on here my problem with it is similar to shinys, lack of really meaningful interaction.

One other thing that annoyed me a few years back, not necessarily Nintendos fault but it was down to one of their games...

How everyone jumped on to how free roam BotW was and you could go anywhere, I remember Horizon Zero Dawn getting loads of stick that Aloy couldn't climb a vertical 300 hundred foot mountain.?

49747213301_a325d28943_k-e95a.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss the games and features they’ve been most impressed by when it comes to the PS5 and Xbox Series X.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic asked what you think has been the highlight of the next generation launches and what gives you the most encouragement for the future of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S.

The majority of letters were about the PlayStation 5, with the DualSense and the graphics of the launch games coming in for particular praise. Although it was nice to see that the majority were generally positive about most things so far.

This was a toss up between the Duelsense which is genuinely great (although symmetrical sticks are and always will be shit) and the SSD's... and I'll give to the SSD's, compared to the One X the Series X feels turbo charged and having fast travel in Spider-Man Remastered be so fast they've actually removed the subway cutscene is amusing.

I do honestly think this will be a great generation for games.

Really like the new ps5 controller, feels like it should be a Nintendo controller, proper motion controls, speaker, mic, feels a good weight in the hand. Xbox controller doesn’t feel evolved and as I started off on the X I was proper surprised how much better the ps5 pad is.

I just hope there’s a good stream of fun games and not just rehashes of previous generations.

SSD and Quick Resume are game changers.

I just wish there was more storage. I understand the reason why both Microsoft and Sony shipped with such little space, but I'm already looking into getting one of the Seagate storage expansion cards for my Series X.

for me it's the 60fps being common. I suspect it won't last, I can't see the next, new, Naughty Dog game being 60fps but I hope I'm wrong, for the vast majority of games I'll turn the graphics down or turn the RT off to double the frame rate

I do really like the triggers on the controller too, but I can also see it being better to not have the resistance on them in some games. I know some people have turned them off in competitive games, which I definitely get, but when you think of something like the microwave corridor in Metal Gear Solid 4, you can start to picture how they could be used in games, same with the haptics

Lolz, well teachers not as trustworthy as I thought.

i agree with what most people have said I guess, the loading speeds are great, higher FPS is great, the ps5 triggers and fancy rumble are cool, Xbox quick resume will be cool when it’s more reliable.

3644341-persona5royal_whyitsworthyourtime_021420_site-8da9.jpg

GameCentral readers imagine what games they’d go back to if they could somehow wipe their memory of playing them the first time round.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Stone Cold Steve Austin, and while it’s not possible (unless you know someone that’s really good at hypnosis) it was interesting to see which games people would like to experience again for the first time.

The most common choices were classic epics such as Final Fantasy 7, the Soulsborne games, and Zelda: Breath Of The Wild. Although many admitted that playing older games again wouldn’t be as fun if you still retained knowledge of modern gaming.