passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

mgsv-header.jpg

GameCentral readers imagine their ideal video game crossovers, from Assassin’s Creed meets Batman to Zelda crossed with Dark Souls.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Paulie, who asked you to combine two or more games into one new title – whether they be games with similar gameplay or from completely different genres.

There were plenty of fun suggestions, but unfortunately the ones that make the most sense, like Tomb Raider x Uncharted and Mortal Kombat x Street Fighter, are probably the least likely to happen.

I think I'd like a Dark Souls and Elder Scrolls crossover (or perhaps just add a decent combat model to the ES series).

I find the DS story a bit too obtuse to really follow, but ES has great storytelling but poor combat. Hence a mash up between the best of both sounds like it could be great.

Alternatively, a Elder Scrolls and Sniper Elite mix, so a full on RPG in a WW2 setting, with open world missions to sabotage the war, rescue prisoners, help the resistance, spying and underlying main theme to takedown key targets (which I suppose in some way sounds a bit like PS1 Mercenaries).

IMHO the combat mechanic in W3 isn't particularly good either, so DS + W3 would work too.

I like the DS combat mechanics, the way each weapon set and armour affect the way you play, and the variety of tactics you need to overcome the enemies & bosses.

ES & W3 are both susceptible to button mashing hack & slash (notwithstanding easy ranged or magic combat in ES too) or chugging potions like your playing Diablo.

Advance Wars X Valkyria Chronicles could be an interesting one to see. Adding another level to each game. 

Breath of Fire X Dragon Age - Really flipping the concept of each on its head IE You are the Dragon.

X-Men Legends X Freedom Fighters - If for no other reason than IO's game would be such a better platform for an X-Men game than the Diablo-like original engine.

Turok vs Predator is one I was thinking about lately. I loved the first three Turok games on N64 and I heard good things about the Predator game that was out quite recently. They would mesh quite well.

I hate saying the most obvious thing but I would be lying if I said I didn’t want a Mario and Sonic crossover game. I remember how excited I was for Smash Bros Brawl to see them fight and I even went and bought the first Olympics game as that was the first real, video game Mario and Sonic crossover (Although I never played it because I can’t take seriously that Luigi would beat Sonic in a 100m sprint)

If they did a real platformer crossover, though. Would be thrilled. Although I see why that doesn’t happen as the Mario brand gains nothing out of it.

For a more ridiculous suggestion I would want old God of War crossing over with new Doom. I want to see old Kratos fight new Doom Guy and then they can team up and fight their way out of hell. The both seem to go there a lot. 

GTA with Sleeping Dogs would be a good one for me.

Basically GTA’s open worlds, immersion, story etc. But with Sleeping Dogs’ brutal & awesome combat system and traversal. Would be ace.

Forza Horizon with any track based racing game. I want Horizons graphics and handling model but without the open world BS.

God of War 3 with current God of War. The recent one didn’t have enough set piece moments or violence for my liking. 

FFVII with FFVII Remake. Would have just preferred classic style turn based battles that’s all. 

There’s probably loads more but just can’t think of them at the moment. 

I would like to cross over FFVII Remake's combat into FFXV. Take all the fun boy band road trip stuff but get rid of XV's terrible 'hold down attack/guard and spam potions to keep dumb AI alive' combat and put in a good one.

Then fix all the terrible level design and ugly graphics in FFVII remake and make a pretty one with a cool looking open world.

1 hour ago, bellow said:

I dispute any of those are crossovers. You just want GTA, Forza horizon, God of war and FF7 Remake to be better games?

This is true. However I’m using other games to improve them so my points still stand. I think...

I actually can't think of a single example as I've grown to strongly dislike crossovers. You paste the name of a different franchise on your cover and in the blink of a moment the entire integrity of your game, with its lore and atmosphere and characters, is gone in exchange for a cheap marketing trick.

The only genre where it can still be pulled off successfully (because it's all about gameplay and nothing else) are fighting games IMO. But it has been so overdone in that genre that I can't think of anything new. Maybe something involving the Avatar characters but I don't know who they could go up against. Capcom vs Avatar? Yeah, why not, let's go with that.

About 20 I can see with physical.  That includes some Wii U and PS3.  I have a load of GameCube and GBA tucked away that might double that... Probably triple.  And a few Wii somewhere.

It's a weird mess of a collection.  

Digitally I'd hate to guess.  Probably 100s spread across the platforms I still own.

Answered wrong question as I'm miles behind on this thread but that's it answered, anyway.

I don't think I have a dream cross over but wild, outside the box ones are fun to think about.  Like Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat is boring.  Street Fighter x Overwatch is more fun.  And I want two games crossing both ways.  Actually, I think Guilty Gear's characters would lend themselves better to a Overwatch style game.

That reminds me of an arcade machine I played once. Involving an exercise bike and (in game) balloons, I think? Can't remember more than that, as I saw it in the early 90's.

EDIT: 

1413977-propcycle_dx_.jpg

This one!

33936879058_005b05dd31_h-2907.jpg

GameCentral readers describe how their video game habits have changed over the course of the year and during lockdown.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Cray, who asked how the coronavirus pandemic has changed how you play games this year. Since the start of lockdown in March how has your approach to gaming changed and have you played more or less than usual?

Almost everyone said they had played more but while most were grateful for the distraction, they were still all very keen for things to turn back to some kind of normality as soon as possible.

I played more while I was furloughed, which is kind've a given. Once that ended my life returned pretty much back to normality, apart from the masks... my god how I hate fucking masks.

I played through Witcher 3 and Thronebreaker during the early lockdown. Those are almost 200 hours combined, so that's definitely something that would have taken me about a year under normal circumstances. I also benefitted from it to go through a couple of backlog games which I usually don't do unfortunately as I always keep my sights on what's new (Darksiders III was a particular highlight here). 

Right now I'm back to normal. Playing a couple of arcade games or SFV during the week and only getting into the big singleplayer/story games on the weekend.

No real change for me, one way or the other. As I was still working, there wasn't really any big difference to my downtime. I have gotten more into the habit of finishing things though. On my Switch alone, I have about half a dozen games left off at various points. This year has encouraged me to go back to some of them. 

Didn’t we have this exact question when lockdown was first lifting? 

Anyway I played a shit load more while in lockdown. It was like being back in school days. I completed FFVII + the Remake twice. Battlechasers - another long RPG plus many, many other games which I just would never have had the time to do normally.
Since I’ve been back at work I’ve barely played anything at all, barely even a fraction of what I played in lockdown.