passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Killer 7 - It is basically like the video game equivalent of 90's anime. Silent Hill 2, as pictured above, does deserve an honourable mention though.

I suspect this is a bit more of an interesting question for a younger generation. For a lot of us here it's just "what's your favourite game?" or at least top 3.

As such, to the surprise of no one, Streets of Rage 2, then Metal Slug

Yeah, unfortunately it's not the greatest question ever... mine would be a Resident Evil game but which one would probably change depending when I was asked.

Jap games are some of the best! Difficult to pick just one.

Would have to be another vote for Killer 7 here. Loved everything about it. Especially the overall style and design. 

Picking one that hasn’t been said yet, probably Resident Evil Remake. 

Definitely agree with killer7. I really hope that gets a remaster at some point, it was bloody awesome.

Osu Tatake Ouendan was one of my favourite DS games, the soundtrack remains stuck in my head. 

Metal Slug is awesome, a reliable series.

My top choice would be Yakuza. As it’s a franchise that has always been excellent. 

I wouldn't know where to start to be honest. Up until the 360 I think 90% of the games I played were from Japan.

Killer 7 was a good pick though, that certainly stands out even among their output.

If I had to choose another game, I'd probably say F-Zero GX.

Most of my favourites are Japanese so I also don't know where to start. 

It was a crapier time during that era they lost confidence in themselves and lost their direction but the occasional weird take on western games was cool at times. 

cover-img.jpg

GameCentral readers name the unlikely sequels they’d most like to see come back on PS5 and Xbox Series X, from Dead Space to Shining Force.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by reader Korbie, who asked what franchise would you most want to see return in the next generation as a sequel, reboot or remake?

Despite the number of unexpected revamps we’ve had lately nobody seemed to have any difficulty thinking up new ones, especially after the announcement of the Alex Kidd remake. Although many of the suggestions were for relatively new games, not just retro titles.

Oh my god, so many.

The Castlevania picture is a good starting point. Mercury Steam isn't quite what they used to be anymore but I'd love something like Lords of Shadow 3. I don't really want a new 2D game without Iga's involvement and I doubt Konami is going to work with him again.

I've read a couple of rumours about a new Perfect Dark which I don't believe at all but that reminded me that, yes, that would be a cool IP to bring back. A more brainy shooter than your usual Call of Duty, with a female lead which is all the rage right now.

Legacy of Kain / Soul Reaver has also always been one of my favourite franchises. They canceled a reboot during the PS360 era which means some people at least still know about the franchise. I have no idea how you could do this today because releasing a straight sequel almost 20 years after the last game is not the brightest idea but still, more of that universe please. There's some unused scripts and lore from Hennig still lying around, don't let it go to waste.

Mirror's Edge.This already got its very unlikely second chance but a third one to wrap it up would be more than welcome. Imagine the city of glass with Raytracing, oh dear. No open world anymore though, please.

Mass Effect. It's a bit sad that the best games of the PS360 era are now considered a franchise with an unlikely chance to return, but I enjoyed Andromeda despite its numerous flaws and it had an interesting cliffhanger ending which I'd love to see explored in a sequel (which was certainly planned at some point).

And to honour my new avatar, SEGA should totally revisit Skies of Arcadia. I think it could work commercially, JRPGs have a very supportive and loyal fanbase today and if they release it on multiple successful systems instead of just a Dreamcast and a Gamecube it will reach an audience. Please, just do it.

I'm really happy btw. that this is limited to PS5 and Xbox, Nintendo has so many good IPs collecting dust, it's ridiculous.

Ohhh lets see...

Golden Sun - Remember when the last game in the series - Dark Dawn - ended on a cliffhanger? Hint, Hint Nintendo!

Alundra - Sony had their own Zelda and it was really good. Then they released Alundra 2, which had nothing to do with its namesake in the slightest. A true sequel would be great.

F-Zero/Wipeout - Not to say they are the same thing but, it's been a while since we've had a decent sequel from either of these.

Suikoden - To Konami's credit at least, since their recent position change on gaming, this is one series that has been left untouched by anyone else. No reboots, no outsourcing, nothing.

Bloody Roar/Power Stone - I love both series and they've equally been dormant for far too long. Admittedly, in BR's case, it is because Konami now owns the IP.

3D Castlevania - Not in the Lords of Shadow mold, which borrowed too much in terms of mechanics from it's contemporaries of the era. Classic Castlevania, but in 3D. I'm pretty sure Bloodborne's Cainhurst Castle was such a pitch and a good example of the kind of game I'd like to see.

Shining Force 4 - While the Shining franchise has marched on since SF 3, I'd like to see a new SRPG in the series. Helmed by Camelot again, of course.

Vagrant Story 2 - I'm pretty sure I'll beat this drum til the end of time. The best non-FF game Square ever made and the entire IP has been completely abandoned for 20 years now.

Honourable mention: X-Men Legends 3. Because the super nerd wants a new X-Men game and UA is too movie biased to have as interesting a roster anymore.

The answer I always give is Shining Force, but I'd like another Burning Rangers on a machine that could actually run it. 

I'd like the Yakuza team to be allowed to branch out again and make another Binary Domain, not that I think that game needed a sequel as such, but a second attempt might smooth the rough edges. 

Maybe a 2nd Vanquish game. 

For non Sega stuff, Rival Schools 3 and a new Garou game. I doubt they'd live up to the previous games but that's true of just about everything I've listed 

Feel like this is the same or at least very similar to many topics that have come before. Or maybe I just keep leaning in the same games I’m desperate for. Anyway, mine:

SSX Tricky 2 or 2016-2 - I adored the 2016 release even though most wouldn’t agree. So I’d love another like that or a true sequel to Tricky with proper courses not this open mountain crap. 

Vanquish 2 - Best Gears/TPS game ever. 

PGR 5 - Sequel to one of the best racing games ever.

Driveclub 2 - Give me this if I can’t have PGR.

Shining Force 4 - Disgaea is a SRPG that has had 5 releases in less time than it took to get 3 mainline SF games. Why haven’t we had a proper 4th instalment yet? Shining Force is incredible and SEGA seem to have totally ignored it’s traditional roots for shitty spin offs. 

F-Zero X 2 - Been asking for another of these since GX. The fuck is going on Ninty?  Would prefer the more simplistic style of X rather than GX if given the chance though. Cheers! 

Ninja Blade 2 - Best God of War style game no one talks about. 

X men origins Wolverine 2 -  One of the best uses of a licence ever where they actually got real freedom to do it properly too. Wolverine films and games should be 18 rated, this (And Logan) shows why. 

Panzer Dragoon Saga 2 - Just please!!!!! 

Sega Rally 3 - Do if in same style as the 360 one of you must - the track deformation was a really cool idea. Just make it a bit more fun to actually play. & easier as that one was too Bastard hard. 

That’ll do for now. 

PS5_RENDER_WITHNOTICE_01-4ea7.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss what they thought of the PlayStation 5 reveal event and if it’s changed their mind about getting the console.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was obvious given Sony’s long-awaited reveal event but we wanted to know not just what you thought of it but whether it had changed your mind, one way or the other, about the PlayStation 5?

The opinions were very mixed, with some being pleased by what they saw but many disappointed or worried that subsequent revelations have made what seemed to be a positive showcase less impressive in hindsight.

Simple question with a simple answer... yes.

Slightly longer answer... I'll be aiming to get a full fat disc version day one (depending on availability)... the State of Play reveal hasn't changed any of my plans but I can honestly say that it didn't exactly blow me away, I got what I wanted with RE8 and Horizon. And I still hate the fact it's fucking white.

I'll be getting one, it's a bit too early to say if I'll be getting one at launch.

On one hand, if I've got the money spare then why not, it's nice to get in early, as gullible as that makes me. On the flip side though, there's nothing of note confirmed for launch yet, I'm probably not getting Assassin's Creed or COD, Cyberpunk I'll be getting on pc, so that just leaves Spiderman. It's kind of tempting to wait until there's a more interesting bundle like I did with the Switch or just enough games to play like the PS4 

Either way it'll be the disc version 

I thought the show was decent with some nice games on show.

The only thing it changed my mind on is buying it on day one. I'm not going to bother until there are more games out (I'm not paying £500 for half a Spider-Man game), and I'll probably wait for the inevitable redesign as I think the system itself looks like trash and I don't want one in my living room.