passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

? Still. Seriously. Play it. 

On another note @OCH what console and games do you play? I remember seeing you say you don’t have a TV in another thread and most games people talk about you mention you’ve not played or not a fan of. Genuinely just curious, not meaning to be a dick about it or anything.

14 minutes ago, mfnick said:

? Still. Seriously. Play it. 

On another note @OCH what console and games do you play? I remember seeing you say you don’t have a TV in another thread and most games people talk about you mention you’ve not played or not a fan of. Genuinely just curious, not meaning to be a dick about it or anything.

I've only got a Switch and two PC games (Binding of Isaac and Legend of Bum-bo) at the minute. Only a handful of games on the Switch, mind you. I've taken a couple of screenshots in the Buying thread. Barring one or two games I've played on my brother's Xbox, I've been largely absent from gaming for sometime. Luckily my monitor had a HDMI port, so I've plugged my Switch into it for a screen. That plus some headphones I plug directly into the Switch, is my gaming set up.

I've never played a Just Cause, Animal Crossing, any Luigi title or a Mario Party.

I think the biggest selling franchise I've never played is Madden at 130million+ games sold in the series.

I've also never played Binding of Issac, simply because I don't like the visuals. They gross me out too much ?‍♂️ I'm probably missing a great game, but just looking at it makes me feel dirty so I've never tried it ?

4 hours ago, Rikzilla said:

think the biggest selling franchise I've never played is Madden at 130million+ games sold in the series.

I wouldn't touch one of those if it was the last gaming series on earth.... I'd take up train spotting or something instead.

I think the last sports game I played was Wii Sports? My brother used to have the odd Fifa or PES on PSOne, alongside International Track & Field, that I was obligated to play with him. There was also a Basketball game called.. NBA Jam, that we had for the Megadrive. Aside from that, sports games are almost as unknown to me as SNK.

I can definitely say I’ve avoided anything significant on PC, as I’ve never been a PC gamer. 

I’ve not played any of Nintendo’s recent output, but that’s only due to not having a Switch, couldn’t afford one when it came out.

The only type of games I consciously avoid is sports games, as I just have no interest in any sport at all. Other than WWE, and I’ve not watched that for years.

Oh, and i certainly avoid Battle Royale games, as I think the genre is total shite.

I’ve always tried my best to keep an open mind on most genres and have tried almost all of them at this point. There’s not many I’ll actively avoid.

I think lately the only ones I’ll avoid are some Sports games (WWE, Madden NFL, NHL etc.) and RTS games. I have played a few RTS’ over the years but none have really clicked with me, I think the last I tried to get into was Company of Heroes when I first got my PC 6 years ago and I just couldn’t do it, have tried previously with Halo Wars on 360 too. I do own a few Total War games on PC (not sure if these are RTS or TBS though) so I’ve really no excuse, I’ve also always wanted to properly get into Civ but just never quite managed it, I think I played Civ V when it first came out but didn’t get very far before giving it up.

Management style games, god games and Tycoon games I don’t really have the time for along with 4X games too. I do like them but I just haven’t got time for anything without an end goal these days really. 

I’ve very occasionally enjoyed some sports titles. I played a few of the Tiger Woods games on Xbox 360, and liked them, despite having no interest whatsoever in actual golf.

I definitely agree with RTS games, I just don’t have the brain to cope with them. By the time I’ve sussed out what I’m doing, and got a half decent army, the enemy looms on the horizon with a vastly superior army. Resulting in me going “Yep, I’m screwed”.

I’ve avoided all recent JRPGs, not because I hate the genre, but I just don’t have time for the inevitable grind that most of them have. FF7 Remake is the first JRPG I’ve committed to for years. Both of the Mana games are on my rental list (Secret Of Mana was my first ever JRPG back in the day). But god knows if I’ll actually manage to finish them when I do eventually play them.

Oh, and I’ve never played any of the Tony Hawks games. Closest I’ve got was BMX XXX. For, erm, reasons ?

8 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

For, erm, reasons

Don't be ashamed, I absolutely loved Outlaw Vollyball and Outlaw Golf back in the day for those exact reasons.?

@HandsomeDead mentioned Fortnite earlier, that's one I haven't played. I imagine that's true for a surprising amount of people considering it's pretty much the biggest game in the world. Same with PUBG although that at least has a barrier for entry

I've played Apex though so I've played and enjoyed the genre 

I hated Fortnite. Every match went one of two ways: Find nothing, and get killed. Or find some weapons, and get killed before you use them.

I can’t stand the battle Royale genre, as it’s just no fun at all. I tried Apex Legends, and while it’s better than Fortnite, it wasn’t for me.

I've had the exact opposite experience in Fortnite. There are some ridiculous players out there who seem to be able to build castles out of nowhere, but I've had a lot of fun with it while I've been playing. At times I've had the exact experience you said, but last night for example, I sat down to a game of Duos with Rosie. We've got a specific spot we like to land in and rinse through. While we were there I picked up a great sniper and ended up taking out 4 different opponents who were trying to storm us from a distance.

Even spent £4 on a limited time offer so I could get the Battle Pass - I've put probably around 70 hours into it at this point so I think it was only fair I threw Epic a little bit of my money, even if they are making cash hand over fist at the minute.

On topic though - I've tried Resident Evil 1 and got about half an hour in, never spent any time with them other than that. I'm gonna count DMC and DmC as separate franchises as I've only put about 30 minutes into DMC and a bit of DMC4. 

Civilisation is one I've always wanted to play that I've never had the opportunity to.

Warcraft/World of Warcraft I've never touched. In fact, you could probably point to any of the big PC franchises really. Except Diablo. Played 3 on PS4.

Monster Hunter, Minecraft, PUBG and Skylanders too. Oh and Disney Infinity. And Fire Emblem. At this point I'm just naming the games I want to play that I've never got round to...

SoulsBorne.

Jesus I need to start playing some franchises!

24 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

WoW is one of those things I think you really had to be around for in the mid-noughties. Go play it now and it's going to just seem dumb and pointless. I mean at least that's what I think when I try to play what it is now (haven't tried Classic yet, probably won't)

WoW and other MMOs really hit in popularity, unsurprisingly, around the same time as free/unlimited internet became a thing (remember once when you only used "dial-up" after 6pm as it was mega expensive before that, then later broadband meant you could go online all the time, without monopolising the telephone line too).

JamesReflection-6fa2.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss their favourite Japanese-made video games, from Chrono Trigger to Katamari Damacy.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was inspired by reader John and covered every era of gaming, as long as the game was developed by a primarily Japanese team.

In the end the suggestions ranged from well-known classics like Sonic The Hedgehog to more obscure picks like Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, but everyone seemed to have a favourite.