passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

54 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Yea, UC2 is incredible and a huge improvement on the first. Very surprised at that. 

To be fair I'm not a huge fan of the series full stop... I find them to be incredibly overrated.

Got to admit, Aliens : Colonial Marines still hurts to this day... a game I was so looking forward to and I should've known wasn't going to turn out well but it was absolutely atrocious.?

The reviews were just so great for U2 that I got so hyped up for it and then had to play it all over 1 weekend (I used to usually play a max of 3-4 hours a day because I get burnt out) at my parents house because I didn't have my PS3 at Uni. It was still an 8/10, don't get me wrong it's not a bad game at all and I liked it a lot but I was just expecting a masterpiece from the reviews is all @mfnick so was a disappointment to me. 

Also the Xbox One has improved due to Game Pass and does have a couple of great Indie games. But I still think the 1st Party Games lineup is one of the worst of all time and the Dashboard is still utter shite. Sales wise it's an unmitigated failure compared to the PS4 and even the Switch has surpassed it in sales already (and has only been out 3 years). 

I'd agree with that @HandsomeDead. After the magnificent F3 they basically made F3 again with F4 really, I still enjoyed it and it was an 8/10 for me but nowhere near as much as F3. Far superior to New Vegas though.

PS2-Versions-1b41.jpg

GameCentral readers celebrate 20 years of the PlayStation 2 and games ranging from GTA 3 to Guitar Hero.

Since last week was the 20th anniversary of the PlayStation 2, this week’s Hot Topic asked you to share your memories of Sony’s second console. Did you own a PlayStation 2 at the time and which games were your favourites?

You can probably imagine the most popular games already, with lots of mentions of GTA and Final Fantasy, but the most common comment from people was praise for the console’s diversity of games and how it’s never really been matched by any other format.

I know we had lists of favourite games for PS2 last week so I'm not looking for those again, more like your stand out memories of the console itself...

The BC was great, but I do recall a 'quirk' that one of the PS1 Dancing Stage (DR) games didn't work (or work properly) with the PS2* and of course this was (for consoles) still pre-patch days!

Still use PS2 routinely for SingStar .

* Or it might actually have been the other way round, that the PS1 game didn't actually work on the PS1 but did through BC on the PS2??

I got my own PS2 very late.  In fact I needed to send my 360 away after it's first RRoD which I got pretty early.  I got it from Woolworths along with Gran Turismo 4 and Dragon Quest 8 which were quite cheap at the time.  And Okami was soon to come out which I'd pre-ordered

I picked it up going home from work, trying to bike up the hill with it swinging from my handlebars. 

Because I got mine late my memories of the PS2 are Guitar Hero and the Persona games as they were easily played the most. 

I got my first PS2 off a mate. It was one of the phat models and was a bit knackered, I kept having to open it up to realign the laser. I ended up doing the "go to Game and buy a replacement, then return mine" fix, which worked pretty well. I got it before the likes of Devil May Cry 3 came out, which I'd argue was the right time, that's when the PS2 really came in to its own getting stuff the Gamecube and Xbox just weren't. Considering I got it fairly late it did stay hooked up for a long time. I was playing the likes of Yakuza 2 on it rather than whatever was on my PS3 and 360, I think the last game I got to review for it was the PS2 version of Sonic Unleashed ? I remember it being fairly decent but looking rough as shit, worse than Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast

I got mine if not launch week it was launch month from Another World (now Forbidden Planet)... I traded in my Dreamcast with a few games and got Dead or Alive 2 and Dynasty Warriors 2 with it, I think. I then found out that the tv I had wasn't capable of displaying a Pal 60hz signal (no full screen gaming for titles that supported it) and had to buy a new screen.?

One of the biggest memories from launch wasn't actually the games, it was watching The Matrix on DVD for the first time, having that ability from launch certainly did the PS2 no harm.

Finding out that your PS2 no longer played the purple discs was a bitch though.

god-of-war-main-906c.jpg

GameCentral readers imagine what their favourite games are going to look like on the PS5 and Xbox Series X, from Fable 2 to Resident Evil 8.

This week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Gifford, who asked you to imagine your ideal next gen sequel. Take any game or franchise that already exists and imagine it for the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X. How would it differ from current versions and how would it take advantage of the superior graphics and faster load times?

Many imagined the obvious follow-ups like God Of War, Forza, and Horizon Zero Dawn, but there was lots of other hopeful talk about less certain sequels, such as XCOM 3 and a new Dishonored.

I think this is quite a hard one to answer. Sequels to popular games are always going to happen regardless, so to state "[New] Doom 3" or "GoW 2" is a little redundant. I can think of a few (the same names I always think of) I'd like to see Next Gen: a new Vagrant Story, Psi-Ops, Bloody Roar, Power Stone, Alundra and Freedom Fighters.

Each a different genre, each an underrated gem that does deserve a revival. NOT remake, just revival. The outliers/honourable mentions being a new Suikoden and/or Breath of Fire. But Capcom have really fucked up the latter in the last few entries and the Former is both owned by Konami and the original team are all but scattered now. So there is little point in bring back it as a series.

2507465e209add3ca495.82472530-Mars-Core-d41b.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss what games they’re playing during the coronavirus crisis and how their approach to gaming has changed recently.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Grackle, who asked if how you play video games has changed during the coronavirus outbreak. Have you been playing more or less games in the last few weeks and do you have any specific plans in terms of what games you’re going to play during lockdown?

Almost everyone said that they were playing more games than usual, with most opting for longer games that they wouldn’t ordinary have time for – as well as co-op games for all the family.

??

Definitely playing a hell of a lot more. I’ve not played this much in a short time for years. I’m loving it :). Using it to work  through some back log of some acclaimed games I’ve never gotten round to playing. Although one of those games is DOOM which I’ve now completed and I’m desperate for Eternal now so backlog may get put on hold again. 

Im playing shorter games though, would rather play a few different games in this time rather than 1 big one. 

My whole goal is to complete unfinished games from my backlog. Astrobot, Dragon Quest 5 and Red Dead 2. All games that I love but just fell off for one reason or another. 

But finding the motivation to do anything other than watch YouTube or Twitch is too hard, really. 

Life has just become what my usual weekends are like but stretched out. Which is not me complaining but recognising it is very bad for me.

But these are my gaming goals. Just to clear some unfinished stuff.

So far I've not actually played a lot. I've been in work and now I'm working from home so I've not had time. 

The plan was Doom Eternal but I'm not feeling it, I will try to get that done this week though 

I played some Vermintide 2 with some friends. Been playing Goblin Sword on Switch which is easy to dip in and out of. The plan is to finish Astral Chain, or at least make a proper dent on it. 

I picked up Judgment again yesterday, might get back in to that, and once I've done Doom I might pick up the Control dlc 

I've been ...ill, the last week or so. I normally revolve around 5-6 hours sleep. The past few days I've been coming home from work, going for a lay down about 3.30pm and waking up with my alarm, 4am the next day. So I've played nothing and done nothing. But I digress.

The idea is to finish either Blasphemous or Shovel Knight [base game] this week. Maybe move on from there to a new playthrough of Dark Souls or continue Battlechasers. In all honesty, I've not played anything in months, so I'm half tempted to start all of them again. But, as is the case with my apprehension over Hollow Knight (not mentioned above) I know some of these are Long games and I was quite a bit into them. Although I will be rusty with all. 

I’ve been working as usual so there’s not really been a big change yet. Just been playing Doom Eternal a bit when I can at evenings and over the weekend and checking in for a daily AC session when I can. 

If I’m finally allowed to work from home this week then I’ll probably go back to my old daily routine of playing Siege/LoL in the afternoon to be honest. It’ll give me more time to finish Ori 2, Doom 2 and get properly stuck into RE3 on Friday as well.

Same as @DisturbedSwan as in my gaming life hasn't changed as my work life is still the same as before the lockdown.

So I'm currently trying to make progress through Doom Eternal on PS4 and today I started the Vanquish Remaster on Xbox One but tbh I think I'm mainly trying to kill time before RE3 and FF VII drop in the coming weeks.

zelda-shot-2.jpg

GameCentral readers try to work out why Nintendo are being so secretive at the moment and what their next big games might be.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Onibee, who asks what do you think, and hope, Nintendo’s next games will be for the Switch – considering nothing is currently scheduled.

Most people were understandably baffled, but the most popular guesses were simply that they had nothing new ready yet or that they were planning to reveal some secret new project. But many also pointed out how odd it was that they hadn’t announced any smaller titles either, especially a new Mario Golf or similar.

I like Nintendo's approach. Mystery and surprise. No one else in gaming effectively tells people to "wait and see" anymore. Especially given the amount of loathsome scumbags out there that leak any and everything they can, for kicks.

As for releases, this might be the year they do something with their Eternal Darkness trademarks? The outlier bet, they could revive one of their series they have forgotten about. Like Fighters Destiny, F-Zero or Wave Race? Most likely though, to accompany BoTW 2 is a new 2D Mario game or another Fire Emblem.