passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Look, I know this is probably gonna suck, but an open world(ish) RPG that follows the entirety of Dragon Ball Z? I'm in! The graphics are gorgeous (not as good as FighterZ), the action looks brainless but fun, and the side/mini-games seem like interesting distractions too. It's not going to be a world-beater by any stretch of the imagination, but if it's slightly better than average I'll be happy.

Last of Us 2

This. I can't wait for this. It looks brutal, in the best possible way. Cannot wait to see where Naughty Dog take this bad boy.

Animal Crossing Switch for me, looking forward to that. If FFVII Remake gets a pc release date this year than add that to the list. Not really getting much chance to play anything at the moment,  so haven't really thought too far ahead to what I'd want to play next. Interested in the new console stuff, but I don't think I'll ever get another Sony or MS console until the kids are old enough to ask for one for Christmas.

So Game Central are doing the question this week that we did last week, so while we wait for them to catch up here's a random one pulled from their history.

4_player_co_op.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal whether they ever feel uncomfortable admitting to family, friends and work colleagues that they they play video games.

This week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Jonny H, who wants to know if you find people scoffing in disgust when you tell them how much time you spend playing games. Does your family think you’re getting too old for gaming? When, if at all, do you mention playing games to the opposite sex and has being a gamer ever caused any problems with a new friend – or with a partner or spouse?

Although placating partners and spouses was a common theme many of the replies we got pointed towards workmates as the greatest source of derision, especially older colleagues. But although diplomacy and picking your moment is commonplace in the life of many gamers, thankfully nobody admitted to being intimated enough to give up the hobby.

I play down the extent but it's not exactly abnormal any more. It helps that I work in a tech role I guess, I can easily imagine it seeming a bit odd if it were other people in the office, but I work on the ecommerce team and have the QA nerds sat behind me, if I worked with the sales girls it might be different. 

I wont go out of my way to tell people I'm a gamer but if people take an interest in what I get up to I won't shy away from it... its hardly the most embarrassing thing in the world nowadays.

Most of my family and work colleagues know what my pastime is and I've never felt the need to justify it, thankfully.

I don't care if people know I game or not in work.

I've never been shy about saying I own consoles, and I'm more than happy to admit I play games. A lot of people on my immediate team get it, and a few people have consoles themselves. I was having a conversation with one of the guys last week about him playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it never really went anywhere, and one of the girls was telling me she wants a Bioshock tattoo because she loves Infinite.

One of the other lads asked me to put extra games on his SNES mini too, which I was more than happy to do.

I think the stigma has mostly gone now re games. One of the positive things from Fortnite is bringing gaming to an even bigger market. People don't have the 'oh, isn't that just Space Invaders' response now. People don't say 'oh isn't that just FIFA and COD?'. A lot less people ask 'why are you wasting your time with those things?'. It seems to have become a viable form of entertainment over the last decade, but massively so in the last year or three.

Again no issues work wise here, most people know I game, but is also not what defines me.

At work its just not something need to talk about as nobody else really has the same level of interest in gaming and if they do

they are more likely Fifa, CoD, GTA players, which is fine but not really my bag.

So its more the case that its the equivalent to non gamers watching TV,  they dont harp on about the shit they watch because there is little of interest to me,

and similarly I dont talk gaming it's just not relevant and for the most part people are more obsessed with their own lives over what I'm doing in the evenings. 

I play dumb, I've always done so. Whenever I'm in social situations,  what I'm "into" doesn't tend to come up. Not by design, I just don't proffer topics. However, when conversations start up on given games, shows, films etc It catches people off guard how insightful I am.

Game central are still playing catch up so if anyone would like the chance to throw a question out there, feel free... if not I'll grab an old one from the backlog in a day or so.☺

I couldn’t give a flying fuck what people think of my gaming habits. I openly disclose that I play games, regularly. I’ve no interest in sports, or going out clubbing/getting pissed. Gaming is my passion, always has been, always will be.

I’ve certainly never hidden that fact to anyone, at work or otherwise. 

I definitely downplay my gaming habits outside of my close friend and family group. Even my close friends get surprised still when they see my achievements and trophy scores. They know I game but don’t understand quite how much I do. 
At work or in other social situations I never bring it up, definitely still got a negative stigma attached to it from people I know and tend to meet so I just never mention it. If it does come up it’s the usual CoD, FIFA, GTA stuff. So I just play dumb and talk about those only really. Just easier that way & I’ve not got the self confidence to not care what others think. 

At work I only ever mention it when someone else mentions it first. Gaming might be huge now but most people still only have a very casual grasp about the medium. They know Mario, they might remember Tetris and they know that shooting people in games is popular. If someone asks me if I play I usually just give a very vague response to feel them out. If I notice they know a bit more about the subject I'm willing to talk a bit but if they say they're playing Fortnite and FIFA I'll just pretend to be similarly casual by saying "I play fantasy games" or something like that. Usually that's the end of the discussion.

With friends I have no issues. Would be pretty shitty friends if there were to be honest. They know I play a lot and they don't make fuss about it. Plus they're super nerdy as well about stuff I don't really enjoy (MTG, drone racing) so we have our own things. My social circle is also really tiny.

I'm not a family person so that part is a bit weird. They know I play videogames but probably not the extent. I'm happy leaving it at that.

My missus still refers to videogames as 'baby games' and would be mortified if I ever brought up my hobby in a social situation. I just don't talk about it. And if a visitor ever questions the obvious videogame paraphernalia all over the place in our house I simply blame the kids.

Sort of worth having the lazy barstards just for that.

rockstar_games.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal the game publishers and developers they trust the most… and the ones they don’t.

The question for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Trantor, who asked who you trust most in terms of being honest with customers and putting out a good product the majority of the time.

Since it was a question of trust, not loyalty, many were happy to name companies such as Capcom, Nintendo, and Rockstar Games as companies they give the benefit of the doubt to. Although most people were careful to point out that trust is always easier to lose than to earn.

EA all the way babe-be never done me wrong. Always super high quality games, that run smoothly and have no issues and I always feel like I get good value for money out of their products they really put the art in Electronic Arts