passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

I could chime on about the same list I always do. Given most of the games I really liked are past tense... So instead, as I am wary of remakes, I'll just go for one this time:

Back When Sony were in direct competition with Nintendo, rival IPs were made. Alundra was the PS equivalent to Legend of Zelda and it was Very Good. Sony did manage to kill the series stone dead with a "sequel" however, which is why I'd love them to go back to the original. Be it as sprites of the anime scenes of the Intro.

A lot of the games I've wanted remakes for have got them now. Although FFVII is looking like a prime case of being careful of what you wish for.

The rumour is that Bluepoint are remaking Demon's Souls but also that it isnt just a cosmetic overhaul like Shadow. It will be a lot more ambitious, which could be interesting. I feel you have to rebuild that game now after stuff like BloodBorne, DS3 and Sekiro.

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

A lot of the games I've wanted remakes for have got them now. Although FFVII is looking like a prime case of being careful of what you wish for.

The rumour is that Bluepoint are remaking Demon's Souls but also that it isn't just a cosmetic overhaul like Shadow. 

???

Feel like I’ve answered this recently or something similar. Anyway. 

Shining Force 3 - All parts. I’d love this to be remade. Or failing that even a remaster would do. I just really want a way to play these more than anything and experience the parts that never got translated. 

Panzer Dragoon Saga - One of my favourite games of all time. Would like to be able to play it these days and it not hurt my eyes. 

Resident Evil 2 - I love the remake they’ve done but I’d still prefer a version like the original REmake.

Burnout 3 - Don’t change anything, just update the graphics.

Sega Rally - Ditto 

14 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Feel like I’ve answered this recently or something similar. Anyway. 

Shining Force 3 - All parts. I’d love this to be remade. Or failing that even a remaster would do. I just really want a way to play these more than anything and experience the parts that never got translated. 

Panzer Dragoon Saga - One of my favourite games of all time. Would like to be able to play it these days and it not hurt my eyes. 

these are the two I answer with every time too. The Panzer Dragoon remake I suppose at least makes Saga possible, but that requires PD and Zwei to sell well enough to justify it

19 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Personally when it comes to remakes I find cosmetic ones really boring. It's just the same game. 

Some games, a graphical tidy is all that is needed. Killer 7 or DeS were lightning in a bottle. As you said before, they would try to implement later developments from Dark, Bloodborne or Sekiro into the game and bastardise it in the process. If a new Dev wanted to put their own mark on a DeS remaster, fix the Broken Archstone. That is a whole new area to make their own. Get that right, make DeS look a bit prettier and you have the Best of the series available to everyone, once more.

As for Killer 7, there is no need to touch the original. Just make the sequel and release Killer 9...

There was actually a thread about this I think cause there was an argument on the VII remake thread about it. So cautious about repeating an argument people might be tired about, but the way I see it is that a game's visuals will age eventually but good design is timeless. 

So not a lot is gained imo from a remake like SOTC which just takes the same game and makes it prettier. In fact trying to sell new players to that game was really hard and lots who didn't play it on PS2 thought it was fucking rubbish. Because they hadn't already gotten over the hurdle with Agro like the rest of us and some of the other design choices or control limitations (pretty sure the janky climbing is some old PS2 tech that never got improved)

But you take something like RE2 which keeps the same idea behind the original's design and only updates the parts that really need it, creating a package which feels new and fresh but faithful to what it was. That's the best kind of remake imo.

The main argument in favour of keeping DeS the same imo would be that the game isn't very easily played now, unless you want to go to CEX and buy a spunk covered PS3 to play it on.

(IMHO)

I'm pretty sure they tried to "improve on" Dark 1, via Dark 2 and 3. Mileage may vary on that success. 

but the way I see it is that a game's visuals will age eventually but good design is timeless. 

Exactly my point. DeS needs a face lift, the rest is timeless. Tone, atmosphere, level structure. These are things that could always be lost if a new Dev wants to go in a "different direction". DeS is the only Souls game specifically geared towards horror. There are quality of life fixes that could be made IE Item burden likely needs a look at and of course, World and Character Tendency need an overhaul.

REmake 2 is a rarity. An exception, not the rule, when it comes to remakes. Always be careful what you wish for EG Twin Snakes, DmC...

On 21/10/2019 at 16:36, one-armed dwarf said:

So not a lot is gained imo from a remake like SOTC which just takes the same game and makes it prettier. In fact trying to sell new players to that game was really hard and lots who didn't play it on PS2 thought it was fucking rubbish. Because they hadn't already gotten over the hurdle with Agro like the rest of us and some of the other design choices or control limitations (pretty sure the janky climbing is some old PS2 tech that never got improved)

As somebody that never played SOTC on PS2 i can agree i think the whole game is a pile of dogshit, i just don't get the appeal other than to give some sad acts a nerdy fanwank. There are much better games out there in need of a remaster/remake than that old pile of cack

??.... While I probably wouldn't go quite that far, I agree with that a whole lot. After the honeymoon period wore off on the game I pretty much ended up despising the thing.

Agro is a cunt.... Yes, I'm going there again.

5 hours ago, Nag said:

??.... While I probably wouldn't go quite that far, I agree with that a whole lot. After the honeymoon period wore off on the game I pretty much ended up despising the thing.

Agro is a cunt.... Yes, I'm going there again.

Yeah, completely agree. SOTC was awful and Agro was indeed a massive shitcunt.

SOTC remake was fantastic. One of my games of that year. I never got into it on the PS2 due to the awful frame me rate which this obviously fixed while also making it look incredible. I agree they should have updated the controls at the same time though, falling off a very high ledge due to shitty controls got a bit old. 

Never had a problem with Agro either. Always seemed to do what I wanted when I played. 

Whatever about remade I’d like to at least see Rival Schools re-released on modern consoles.

It would be nice to see something like a Dizzy game remade with modern technology but I guess it’s quite a crowded genre now.

4 hours ago, mfnick said:

Never had a problem with Agro either. Always seemed to do what I wanted when I played. 

You must have wanted him to slow to a crawl whenever the game loaded a tree in the distance.... Or veer off left or right for no fucking reason whatsoever... Stupid animal.?