passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

For me it would have to be the PS2/Xbox gen. the quality and in particular the variety was just in another league. So many classic series’ were started or came of age in this gen and in some cases had their greatest instalments. 

Ill always have a soft spot in my heart for the Saturn/PS/N64 gen too as this was when I was at the right age for gaming to became something special for me. Really difficult to go back to though and looking back none were as good as my memory makes out. 

360/PS3 was amazing too. 

Id say in many ways this is one of the weakest, even though overall quality is higher and a lot of problems have been sorted such as camera and control issues. But I’ve just been wowed very little this time around and most games are just continuations of series created last gen and usually not as good. There’s been very few big IPs created. Stuff like Gears, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Modern Warfare (technically CoD I know but still), where are all the big new IPs like these? Don’t get me started on how monetisation is really hampering my enjoyment of gaming recently. On a positive note though, the indie side of gaming is better than ever. I’ve wanted something like Game Pass for years too. Good to see some BC support as well.  

It'll be interesting to see how many other companies want to try out these subscription services in the long run... there's already rumblings about Square Enix setting one up and I'm surprised Activision isn't thinking about it.

I hope that it doesn't go the way of tv and the need for three or four subs running along with Gold and PSN.

Completely agree, that is a big worry. I’ve already got subs coming out of my ears, I can’t afford many, if any, more. I’ve had to cancel a couple lately just because it was getting stupid. Was so much simpler when it was just Netflix.

There’s no way I’ll sub to individual publishers. None have a library I’d be willing to do that for. Especially EA and Ubisoft which are the only confirmed ones at the minute.

Platform holders like MS though, I’m all for. Especially if they keep the quality and quantity up as they are. I’d definitely do it for Sony too if they did all their first party games on release on it like MS do. 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

definitely do it for Sony too if they did all their first party games on release on it like MS do. 

Same, it's a no brainer... once my Game Pass Ultimate sub runs out I have every intention of keeping on with that.

For me it's PS3/X360/Wii.

The first gen for me that I didn't have to rely on other people to buy me games as presents was PS2/GameCube, so I've got a soft spot there, but last gen is currently my favourite. I Ioved discovering random shit I'd never have played any other way through PS+ - Spec Ops being one of them. I loved trying out random new games and series. Forza. Rock Band. Borderlands.

I'm pretty sure Vita and DS fit into this gen too, so I discovered random Japanese curios I'd never have tried any other way. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! Was incredible. So was the localisation, Elite Beat Agents.

As much as I've always loved playing games, the PS360 gen is the one where I first started branching out and discovering things I'd never have tried in the past, so for that alone I've got to give it to those systems.

Even though my favourite games of all time are from the gen before ?‍♂️

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE-E3_2019-screenshot_1_1560213818-798a.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal the games they’re most looking forward to this year and beyond, from Cyberpunk 2077 to Doom Eternal.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox asked what future game are you most looking forward to at the moment? With Gamescom just finished the line-up for this year and the early part of 2020 is all but finalised, so what are you most interested in and have you already pre-ordered it?

There were no surprises about the most popular games but many did seem to think that it was a fairly poor Christmas line-up this year and that it was actually next spring that has the most interesting games scheduled for it.

Pretty straight forward question this week. 

Probably FF7, my mind is blank outside of that? As I don't have a Playstation or Xbox, I tend not to keep track of upcoming releases as much anymore. I don't think I saw anything of Gamescom at all...

Apart from Gears 5 I'd probably have to go with Doom : Eternal for this year, I was going to go with CoD but playing through Modern Warfare again has kind of taken the excitement for that down.

Next year is a toss up between Cyberpunk and FF VII....

I was looking forward to The Outer World but some of the previews weren't too keen, and like Control it's Epic exclusive which kills it for me for this year. For whatever reason I'm not feeling Doom as much as I thought I would be, I'm sure it'll be a good game I think maybe I'm just not after something tonally like that, hopefully once I'm playing it I'll click with it

Beyond that, I'm not sure what's coming out that I'm properly looking forward to

I expect next year to be reasonably quite to be honest, depending on how Sony and MS go about their system launches and whether games released will be patched or have entirely new releases for those systems... Cyberpunk for certain will get something for the more powerful consoles.

can't think of anything big i'm looking forward to this year so esprade and sayonara wild hearts i guess, then cyberpunk and ori next year. there must be some other stuff i'm forgetting. halo but that's a while off and who knows what direction they're going in.

spiderman_ps4_03-4ade.jpg

GameCentral readers discuss the best ever single-player modes, from Resident Evil 4 to Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Tomen, who asked what your favourite single-player experience has been, whether it’s a single-player only game or just one part of a larger game.

Despite having so many options to chose from many names came up multiple times, including Uncharted 2, God Of War, Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare, and various Mario and Zeldas.

I get what they're going for but in practice it's "what's your favourite game, but you can't pick Fortnite" 

Witcher 3 is the first game that came to mind, New Vegas felt like a very definite single player experience too.Football Manager I've lived for periods of my life, so that should get a shout.

I wonder about the likes of Uncharted 2 and Resident Evil 4, I don't think them showing their age necessarily negates them being great, but I do wonder if it might be best to let them live in my memories rather than go back

My immediate gut reaction was Shadow of The Colossus. I've played countless SP games over the years, many like Vagrant Story, Valkyria Chronicles and Psi-Ops, are some of my favourite games of all time. But in terms of an "experience" SoTC was definitely on another level. 

whether it’s a single-player only game or just one part of a larger game.

This line was interesting, denoting some bias there. Like games that contain both aren't typically lesser 'Jack of All Trades' type deals.

19 minutes ago, OCH said:

Like games that contain both aren't typically lesser 'Jack of All Trades' type deals.

Not necessarily true, The Last of Us has multiplayer and is probably one of the best story driven single player experiences you can have, same with Dead Space 2.