passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

Although I don't "regret" playing it I definitely think I could've been doing something more enjoyable with the time I spent with RDR2... A lot of that was down to how utterly disappointed I felt with the game though. I've never felt a game push back at me the way that game did.

re2_ss_cut_03_gl_1528746132.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal the video game series they’ve been fans of the longest, from Street Fighter to Castlevania.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Gannet, who asked what series you have the longest history with and whether you consider yourself a long-time fan of the series and always try to play a new one when it comes out.

Given how many long some franchises have been going on now there were plenty of different answers, although the most popular by a long way were Mario, Zelda, and Resident Evil.

Mario, yes. My very first console was the NES, that came with Mario & Duck Hunt. Castlevania, Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Mortal Kombat are some other series I've been with since the beginning. There are other long running series that I have played but missed certain entries though. Street Fighter, for example. I played SF 2 (who didn't in the 90's?) on the SNES, yet didn't play another mainline game until SF 4 on the PS3. By the same token, I didn't even know Metroid existed until Smash Bros Melee. Fusion being my first game in that series.

I suppose you could say the Marvel games are the only recent series I've kept up with. As I have played every entry since X-Men Legends 1 to Marvel UA 3. Modern Mario, I only stick to the 3D entries. Not so keen on the "NEW" titles.

By choice I would say MGS and Final Fantasy. They were two series that I found myself, played and loved for my own reasons. But just by the grace of existing in a house that always played games and then continuing to play games forever. Mario and Zelda. They are games that I always remember being there and the quality has remained pretty high throughout my life. 

street-fighter-iv-3.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal the multiplayer games they’ve played the most, from Destiny to Monster Hunter.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Xane, who asked what multiplayer game you’ve played the most overall, including the same game on different formats. Do you still play it to this day and how good do you rate yourself at it?

We plenty of different answers, from all eras of gaming, with a mix between older games that have appeared on multiple formats, such as Tetris, and more modern games as a service titles like Rainbow Six Siege.

Got to be Bad Company 2 for me. Used to spend at least 1 or 2 nights a week devoted to that game back in the day when I had more time with people from GTM and another forum I was on. Up until early morning, on occasion falling asleep with the pad in my hand. Brilliant times. Got pretty decent at it too, could always finish near the top. 

After that it would be Modern Warfare 1 & 2. These were a revelation for me. MW1 was the first online shooter I really got into. I spent a huge amount of time playing these. Battlefield 1943 is another stand out during this period too. 

As for more recent games - Rocket League. I’ve probably played this more than any other game this gen and still do. And to think, if it wasn’t for it being on PS+ I may have never given it time of day. The amazing reception may have gotten me to pick it up cheap one day but no guarantee. 

On a a similar note, this has made me realise even more so that I’ve completely fallen off online shooters like CoD and Battlefield. They’ve done nothing for me this gen (especially the Battlefield series) even though they were up there as my favourites last time. Strange. Part of this can also be blamed on the rise of looter shooters too which seem to have taken over online games, I’ve got no interest in loot focused games at all. 

probably Monkey Ball, I played it a lot at uni, and a lot when I was back. We played an awful lot of Sensi as kids too

Recently, I've put a lot of time in to Apex. I did put a fair amount of time in to Street Fighter 4, but even that was years ago

In answer to last week’s question, definitely Final Fantasy. Although of the three big series I’ve played since I was young (Final Fantasy, Pokemon and Zelda), Zelda has easily survived the passage of time the best. 

As for this week’s question, I don’t really play multiplayer games but I guess the ones I’ve played the most would be the Smackdown and Smash Court Tennis games on the PS1 and PS2.

For me it's either Rock Band or EDF.

I'm not the biggest multiplayer gamer, but across the whole series I've put a few hundred hours into Rock Band, most of which was in-person multiplayer. RB3 alone had more than 140 hours when Raptr used to count figures.

Current gen I've barely played MP, so EDF gets it with little to no other competition. 4.1 got something like 65 hours. 5 has just under 100 and counting.

Halo_Infinite_TeaserArt_Vert_Final-120b.jpg

GameCentral readers reveal their favourite video game settings, from the world of Pokémon to the post-apocalypse of Fallout.

The subject for this weekend’s Inbox was suggested by reader Gannet, who asked, regardless of the quality of the games themselves, what setting is your favourite and why?

Why do you think it works so well and how consistent is the universe between different games? With so many long-running franchises to choose from there were plenty of different suggestions, but The Legend Of Zelda did come up a lot, along with the likes of Mass Effect and Fallout.

Favourite setting would probably be post-apocalyptic Horror. I couldn't think of another way to describe the world of Silent Hill, Eternal Darkness, Shadowman, Resident Evil et al It would be "post apocalyptic" because the Bad Thing has already happened and the world, forever changed because of it.

However, when it comes to setting consistency, High fantasy would probably have that. The other genres always get that one creator that tries to re-invent the wheel, to varying degrees of success. But most people know what is expected of the medieval/mythological of the HF setting and plot their story around that framework.