passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

apex-legends-main-78a3.jpg

GameCentral readers turn in a half year report for video games, praising everything from Devil May Cry 5 to Tetris 99.

Since we’re just over the halfway point of the year the subject for this weekend’s Inbox was what has been your favourite new game of 2019? How many new games have you bought this year and do you think any of them will go down as all-time classics?

If there was a consensus it was that most people weren’t really sure what to make of 2019 so far, with an underwhelming – but not disastrous – first half and a very promising second half. However, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice was by far the top choice as game of the year so far.

Well this year's first half has been great for me. I think if your a fan of Japanese games you might agree. The cluster of releases from KH3 to RE2 and DMC5 has been the most exciting for me since the generation started, with dmc5 probably eclipsing Bloodborne as my most played game this gen.

I haven't played anything "new" this year, having opted out of the dreaded MK 11 Switch Port, but Sekiro and REmake 2 have been the ones that have impressed me the most. As far as them being all time classics, I'd say no. As that is normally a distinction given retroactively, with perspective.

I don't think it's been a particularly good year so far at all, but I'd happily have Apex Legends and Bloodstained in my games of the year

After that it gets a bit scrappy, I liked DMC5 but didn't love it, I might have actually had more fun with Rage 2 which has a lot of problems but at it's best is very good.

Indie game wise I'm not sure, I've probably missed a few good ones already but nothing is leaping out to me

Considering I spent around 2 months playing Resident Evil 2 on two different platforms it's safe to say that went down pretty well with me, Gears 5 will make the second half of the year worthwhile unless something goes catastrophically wrong.

So far it's not been a corker of a year but there's been enough to keep me occupied.

This year has been great so far. Resident Evil 2 springs to mind instantly because it's so amazing and works on just about any level you could reasonably ask for. Great for new players, great for nostalgic nerds, great horror, great action. The game kicks butt. Hella butt. 

I've been buying most new games I had a passing interest in this year thanks to a load of trade in credit that is still going strong and games like Far Cry New Dawn, Rage 2 and Days Gone provided a lot of fun even if they were just okay or in the case of Days Gone, a fascinating disaster. 

There have been plenty of niche games that appeal to me as well. Left Alive which turned out trash, Plague Tale which I have still barely played because I got distracted by Odyssey and most recently The Sinking City which so far has been a really fun take on Lovecraft. 

Multi has been good as well with The Division 2 and World War Z being two solid games that keep evolving and getting better. 

I think this conversation will be very different next year if both Cyberpunk and FFVII stick to their release dates because there will be something much bigger to look to. A couple of games that will absorb all the hype and attention from everything else around them will be a lot easier to remember than a handful of pretty neat games. 

Anybody else at that stage in their lives where they see games and think they look really cool, but also the games are just way too hard and you haven’t got what it takes anymore? 

Prime example 

I mean this looks cool as shit but I just can’t play games like this anymore, dude. 

29 minutes ago, Maf said:

Anybody else at that stage in their lives where they see games and think they look really cool, but also the games are just way too hard and you haven’t got what it takes anymore? 

I've definitely seen a change in regards to achievements, I no longer bang my head against brick walls chasing achievements based on difficulties.

I guess it’s not that kind of difficulty that scares me and puts me off in terms of games. It’s more things that are reflex and dexterity based. Because I got none o that shit no more. 

I guess for me it isn’t games that ask a lot of the player when they’re at their hardest but games that are just demanding regularly. Like quick jumps, in to sword slashes, off of wall bounces, while picking up the things, and you never touch the floor and it’s like yikes. That looks amazing but it also looks like a lot.

But games where it’s just hard like a Souls game where you can outgrind it or a shooter where you can just play smarter, that doesn’t really bother me (as much). 

rdr2_screenshot-095-181c.jpg

Readers discuss the video games they wish they’d never played, from time wasted on Destiny 2 to battle royale hit PUBG.

The subject for this week’s Hot Topic was suggested by reader Hatton, who asked what game do you feel ended up being a waste of your time? Did you still finish the game and if not how often do you end up giving up on a video game before beating it or spending a substantial amount of time on it?

We had a wide variety of answers, including classics ranging from Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night to The Last Of Us. And yet in many cases not only did people end up finishing them, they even played other games in the same franchise/genre.

Bit of an odd one this week.

There have been a few games I've given up on. Fallout 3, for example, I tapped out just when I was about to control a giant robot (I'm told I was ridiculously close to the finale) and to be honest, I have never gone back to Fallout. So maybe that counts?

But none really come to mind as being a 'waste of time'. Over the years, I've dipped my toe into many series I don't really care about, nor actively follow since EG PokéMon, Street Fighter, Uncharted etc but those one off experiences sated my curiosity, which I wouldn't really class as a negative.

Yeah, never happened to me either. I usually just pull the plug whenever a game stops being fun. If that happens after spending 30 hours with a JRPG so be it. In fact I probably finish only about 5% of all those RPGs I played in my life but I don't regret playing them. It's just that they have a tendency of running out of steam a few hours before the finish line – Skyrim being a good example, as I had both visited every town and maxed out both my main skill trees while only having done a few main quests, so I decided to leave it at that. But a waste of time it wasn't, I enjoyed the trip.

Yeah, if I don't want to play something then I don't.  Never pushed my way through something I wasn't up for. 

Even games I didn't like too much I guess I'm kinda glad I did so then I know what I don't like for sure and can use that going forward.