passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Hot Topic Returns

Nag

E3Briefing2019HERO.jpg

As expected this weekend's (and probably next) will be all about E3, we'll all be talking about that regardless so if anyone wants to chip in with a question or anything feel free... if someone does please allow time for folk to answer before posting another.

And mods... if you feel like this thread could be restarted and archived, go for it.?

I’ll give a question - what games are you surprised other people like?

It still shocks me that Ben likes Apex Legends so much. I didn’t have him down for a Battle Royale game at all.

To be clear - this is a style question, not quality. Let’s not turn this into another excuse to slag off other people’s favourite games.

That's a hard one because out of the people here I know well enough to make that call I can see what they see in the games. 

I too was surprised Ben got into Apex.  I think when I realised Sly liked the Earth Defense Force games at first I was surprised but thinking about what those games actually are it does make sense. 

Call of Duty

I've mentioned it before, that I don't really get the allure of FPS, but specifically here I don't understand what made CoD a mega hit. I have played one (or two, I think)  so I do concede they are certainly made well enough. But good enough to be a multi-million selling, genre defining franchise? ?‍♂️

For me it’s Sly Reflex with GaaS games. He slags GaaS style games off all the time, hates MTX, lootboxes etc. As much as me. Slags off these Shite practices and companies off as much as I do, but he’s still there defending Anthem at its release and sure I’ve seen him say he played Division and Destiny a lot too. So yea, surprised he likes them. 

Indeed. To me I don't see the substance and/or depth to CoD as I see in RPG's, Fighters etc to garner the attention it has had. For a series that is only 15/6 years old, it has been so globally successful to the extent even non-gamers are at least aware of its existence.

45 minutes ago, OCH said:

Indeed. To me I don't see the substance and/or depth to CoD as I see in RPG's, Fighters etc to garner the attention it has had. For a series that is only 15/6 years old, it has been so globally successful to the extent even non-gamers are at least aware of its existence.

Do you not think you don't understand the depth because you don't play them and have a lack of experience? rather than the games not having any. 

My exposure to them is minimal, a couple of multiplayer matches with my brother and his friends and the odd single player level or two showed off to me. As I said, I didn't say the games don't have depth or they are not well made, I just don't see what makes them standout to reach the level of renown the series has.

3 hours ago, mfnick said:

For me it’s Sly Reflex with GaaS games. He slags GaaS style games off all the time, hates MTX, lootboxes etc. As much as me. Slags off these Shite practices and companies off as much as I do, but he’s still there defending Anthem at its release and sure I’ve seen him say he played Division and Destiny a lot too. So yea, surprised he likes them. 

Woah there, hold on a minute.

The games themselves can be played just as you would a game that isn't a GaaS. For instance when Destiny 2 came out, I played it up until I was done with it, same as I would have done any other game. Same as Division, it was great up until 30, which is when a lot of people dropped off. I didn't and I ended up hating it, but because they were committed to it they fixed it. Arguably Division 1 is a better game than Division 2 is now (which I still have to do a proper post about). GaaS probably has a place in a lot of games, but the issue is it ends up where a lot of companies want their game to run as a GaaS when it should be a release, make sure everything is patched and working for a few years and then move on.

My main gripes still stand. Division 2 for example. It has MTX in it. It has lootboxes in it. It has a season pass in it. That's fucking ridiculous. You pick one. You pick the one that works. You do the model that Warframe does. You buy the premium currency and you buy exactly the things you need. You don't do what Destiny did with Silver and Tess Everis and buying DLC separately. There's lots of examples of shitty ways to go about it. Overwatch, Street Fighter, Rainbow 6. You can't really buy a big game anymore without encountering it. It's cheeky as fuck to ask people to pay for the game, then ask them to pay and pay and pay. 

As for playing them a lot, yeah, I play games socially and I'm going to play where people are playing. Although there's going to be a point where I'm like "Fuck this shit" like I've done with every single one of the games you mention.

Also I was very critical about Anthem. I do believe at some point it will get good purely because the amount of money thrown at it is too much for EA to cut loses. Anything the other publishers have, EA has to have as well. Anthem is in a terrible place right now, and like games like Battlefield 4 which were fucked, it's EA's chance to set right wrongs and glean a bit of good rep for it same as how Ubi got good rep for Division, For Honor, The Assassin's Creed games that were broke etc. In fact it should be their priority, because Anthem has been so damaging to them that nobody in their right mind would buy anything labelled with EA ever again outside of the sports games. Even that might be debatable depending on what you think of their sports games practices.

1 hour ago, Nag said:

I'm gonna pick on @Sly Reflex too, I was really surprised that he enjoyed Dragon's Dogma as much as he did. Yeah there was some criticism but what there was was fair i think.?

That's because Dragon's Dogma was dope. I really don't mind games being a bit screwed up in some ways as long as they're doing something cool. I'm not in it for the super graphics or perfectly executed presentation. If the base game is fun and it continues to be, I'm all over that shit.

In retaliation, I think my biggest surprise is @Nag getting into Bloodborne. After the initial dummy spitting back when it came out I didn't think we'd see a turnaround like that at all.

26 minutes ago, Sly Reflex said:

In retaliation, I think my biggest surprise is @Nag getting into Bloodborne. After the initial dummy spitting back when it came out I didn't think we'd see a turnaround like that at all.

I was actually trying to think what mine would be and always forget that game, yeah... in the end I quite fell for its charms, it's not a genre I'm claiming I want to try to get in to though.

Fair enough @Sly Reflex, just surprised you would be even willing to support these games and the companies knowing a part of the game is designed trying to screw the gamer over for more money and/or these games are actually broken for the most part.

Mostly surprised because you’re one of the few people who hates all this shit as much as I do from when I’ve heard you on the podcasts. I also tried playing Destiny and Destiny 2 by ignoring all the GaaS BS but found it impossible, it’s just permeates so much of the experience IMO. But I’m also just not a fan of loot based games, they bore me pretty quickly so I guess that’s a big difference. You’re also much more of a social gamer than I am as you say, I used to love playing the Gears games with yourself back in the day and BC2 still stands as one of my all time faves but this gen I’ve completely fallen off MP games. Apart from Rocket League.