passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

While it sold well and Aftermath was mostly well received. MK 11 took quite a creative drubbing. That's also without the DLC backlash. So I can see 12 being greenlit ahead of Injustice, as damage control.

Meanwhile...

Shinji Mikami, Resident Evil Mastermind, Leaving Studio He Founded

Shinji Mikami, famed Japanese game designer best known for his work on the Resident Evil series, has decided to leave Tango Gameworks after founding the studio over 10 years ago, according to a TrueAchievements report that was corroborated by Bethesda on Twitter.

Mikami’s career spans a variety of games and genres

Mikami is a legendary game designer at this point, an old head in the industry who’s been around since the ‘90s where he started at Capcom. While his first big game as a designer at the Japanese studio was the 1993 action-adventure game Goof Troop for the SNES, he leveled up and directed the adventure horror classic Resident Evil in 1996. This game wound up doing gangbusters numbers for Capcom, catapulting Mikami to stardom and solidifying Resident Evil as the tentpole horror franchise we know today. He’s since worked on a number of Resident Evil games throughout his Capcom tenure as either an advisor, director, producer, or writer while cutting his teeth on other storied projects. This includes the survival horror series Dino Crisis, the 2000 hack-and-slash action-adventure game Onimusha: Warlords (a fave of mine), the 2001 action-adventure game Devil May Cry (another fave of mine), the 2003 side-scrolling beat-’em-up Viewtiful Joe (one more fave of mine), and so many more. He’s also served as an executive producer for a handful of Phoenix Wright games.

And now, the storied game developer is starting a new chapter in that resume. In a company-wide ZeniMax email viewed by TrueAchievements, Bethesda’s senior vice president of development, Todd Vaughn, delivered the news of Mikami’s departure. Though unclear when he’s leaving, Vaughn said Mikami plans to dip out of Tango Gameworks “in the coming months.”

“I am writing today to let you know that studio head Shinji Mikami has decided to leave Tango Gameworks in the coming months,” Vaughn said. “Mikami-san has been a creative leader and supportive mentor to young developers at Tango for 12 years through his work on The Evil Within franchise, Ghostwire: Tokyo, and of course, Hi-Fi Rush.”

Bethesda then confirmed the news today on Twitter, thanking Mikami for his work and saying it’s excited about Tango Gameworks’ future.

Fpp9CJjXoAAVaHy?format=jpg&name=small

After spending about two decades at Capcom, Mikami worked with PlatinumGames to release the 2010 third-person shooter Vanquish. In the same year, he founded Tango Gameworks, which was almost immediately acquired by Bethesda Softworks’ parent company ZeniMax Media. Four years later, in 2014, Mikami returned to his scary roots to direct the survival horror game The Evil Within. It garnered a pretty positive reception, leading to a sequel in 2017. It was during this game’s development that Mikami started to take a backseat, opting to serve as a producer while supervising the game’s progress. Tango would go on to release the 2022 open-world action-adventure game Ghostwire: Tokyo and this year’s rhythm-based action game Hi-Fi Rush, both of which would be Mikami’s last projects as the studio’s executive producer. He’s leaving on a high note.

Mikami leaving Tango Gameworks is a bummer. He’s worked on so many varied games, proving his creativity knows no bounds. He also helped propel the careers of others through Tango Gameworks, most notably Ikumi Nakamura, an artist who worked on The Evil Within and Okami before stepping into the creative director role for Ghostwire: Tokyo. On the studio’s official website, Mikami said he “want[ed] to create a place for young creators to challenge themselves,” pointing to the “many talented creators in Japan” that don’t have access to the same opportunities. This is a man who used his power to elevate the obscure and unknown, something you don’t see too often anymore.

While Mikami said in December 2020 he could direct one last game, it’s unclear what’s next for the famed Japanese game designer now. But here’s hoping Mikami stays in the games industry to continue the work he sought out to do at Tango Gameworks, that of elevating lesser-known creatives to diversify the types of games we see in the world.

On 24/02/2023 at 16:53, DisturbedSwan said:

It's not that I hate MK or anything, quite the opposite, I love MK. 

It's just we had an MK 3 years ago in MK11, it's been almost 6 years since we had an Injustice game. 

Does seem quite soon already but not complaining!

Even though there's Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 this year!

FRONT MISSION 2: Remake launches June 12

A classic tactical RPG returns! The second game in the main Front Mission storyline is finally available outside of Japan for the first time.

FRONT MISSION 2: Remake preserves the mature story, strategic turn-based combat, and Wanzer customization options of the original. Enjoy the revitalized classic with updated visuals and new features and enhancements!

12 years have passed since the second Huffman conflict. The impoverished People’s Republic of Alordesh has been suffering a severe economic decline ever since the war ended. In June 2102, soldiers of the Alordesh Army rise up and, led by Ven Mackarage, declare independence from the O.C.U. (Oceania Cooperative Union).

Ash, an O.C.U. soldier, manages to survive the ensuing battle, but Alordesh is completely overrun by the Revolutionary Army. Ash and his surviving teammates infiltrate Alordesh’s chaotic underground in an attempt to escape the country. However, they soon discover that there is a huge conspiracy behind the coup.

In FRONT MISSION 2, the perspective switches between three characters: Ash, Lisa, and Thomas, creating a worldview that goes beyond a simple dichotomy between good and evil.

21 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Nice. I only ever played FM3, but damn that was a bloody great game. 

Same. One of my all time favourite PSOne games though. Definitely keeping an eye out for this remake.

Beat ’em up game Toxic Crusaders announced for Switch

Retroware has announced Toxic Crusaders, a new beat ’em up game for Switch. The project is expected to wrap up development later this year.

Here’s an overview of the game with additional details:

When the evil Dr. Killemoff attacks, only one team of hideously deformed creatures of superhuman size and strength stands between him and his plans for global pollution: the Toxic Crusaders, earth’s last, greatest and ugliest hope for survival! The hottest heroes of 1991 return for a radical, radioactive beat ’em up for a new era, featuring awesome action, crushing combos and more toxic waste than you’ll know what to do with!

Choose from seven playable characters, including Toxie, No-Zone, Junkyard, Major Disaster and Headbanger (who would technically count as two characters if they could only agree on something) – plus, for the first time, play as Toxie’s musically “gifted” girlfriend Yvonne, and the mother of all mothers, Mrs. Junko, Toxie’s mom!

Battle across seven disgusting levels rendered in beautiful full-color pixel art as you defend Tromaville from hordes of Radiation Rangers, mutated thugs and zombie chickens. The odds might be stacked against you but with awesome powers, a winning personality and up to four-player local co-up on your side, the Smogulan Empire’s days are numbered!

ake a deep breath and dive deep into an action-packed, pun-filled adventure that drags you kicking and screaming through the wonderful world of Troma. Enjoy cameos from gore-filled classics such as Class of Nuke ‘Em High, Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead, and Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. – reimagined in the Saturday morning cartoon style that made this franchise so unforgettable!

Key Features

• The triumphant return of the Toxic Crusaders, just when we needed them most!
  • Pulse-pounding beat ’em up action for up to four players
  • Gorgeous full-color pixel art graphics
  • A stunning soundtrack that’ll make you party like it’s 1991
  • Amazing comic book cutscenes featuring the voices of TeamFourStar (Dragon Ball Z Abridged)
  • Seven playable characters, each with their own unique moves and powers
  • Seven unique stages taking you from the streets of Tromaville to Planet Smogula and beyond!
  • Surprise cameos (each more surprising than the last) from across the Troma Cinematic Universe!

Toxic Crusaders is expected digitally on Switch as an eShop download.

😁 Loved this!

Note: the trailer also mentions a Steam release!

13 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

To be honest, the cartoon is all I know. I’ve never seen the Toxic films. 

I grew up with the show (and the toys). Loved it, but never knew what they were based on. I watched a Troma movie in my 20's and.. they might have been a little scarring to watch as an under 10😄

For the uninitiated. Personally, I think the original theme sounds better than the new one. But hey ho.