passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

Came out some time ago on PC, I remember being fascinated by the concept but I'm neither sure how well it'll work on console and about the whole roguelike approach (though admittedly rhythm games are usually just build around replaying and replaying and replaying the same thing as well).

They put some effort into the port though, runs at 60fps across all systems, which includes last-gen.

Rating spotted for Castlevania Advance collection

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-17-castlevania-advance-collection-rated-for-ps4-xbox-one-nintendo-switch-and-pc

I never played any of these so might be a cool collection. My Castlevania experience is all over the place but all the ones people like are the ones I haven't played so maybe this will help with that 

The suggestion is this collection includes the much-loved Game Boy Advance Castlevania games Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance, and Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow.

That's basically confirmed at this point, there was a Korean rating about this a couple of weeks/months ago as well.

Both Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow are excellent. Personally I like them even more than Symphony of the Night. Harmony of Dissonance is a weird one. They made it very bright with a very very big player character so that you could properly see stuff on the then-not-backlit screen of the GBA after some publications criticised CotM for its very dark presentation. Didn't like it too much back in the day but I'd play it again just to see if my opinion might have shifted.

Except for that really weird "looking at camera" thing from the main character this looked rather decent. Overall it was a nice lineup from THQNordic, nothing that's 100% up my alley but a very diverse list of games (couldn't help but laugh at the Spongebob game which is basically Spongebob: Rift Apart).

I don't know why these organisers think casting Keighly as the host is a good idea though. I don't think anyone in the gaming community goes "Cool, Keighly is hosting!" when they see him. Might as well just pick some random in-house dude/lady who has some charm and can articulate and your show is immediately better.

I enjoyed the first game a lot. It was a bit loose in some ways, levels were quite long, in fact the game was a bit long. You'd also pass through enemies when attacking, which might have been by design but it made it feel like it was lacking that extra polish. It's good though, so I'll probably pick this up

The Castlevania Advance Collection is out now on Switch. It includes Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow and Vampire’s Kiss (?).

Only £16, too. Seems a great price, I was expecting it to be more than that.

Vampire's Kiss is the SNES "port" (or actually more of a remake) of Rondo of Blood which IIRC is widely considered to be the best action Castlevania before they moved full-time Metroidvania. I never played that version but the original Rondo (or the PSP remake) really is phenomenal. It's cool to see it in here, especially as everyone was only expecting the GBA titles.

There was a Limited Run release of Castlevania Anniversary, I think I'll wait a bit to see if they're doing something similar here. 

Castlevania Advance Collection is out on all platforms not just Switch it turns out. Maybe these games would be better in Switch’s portable mode, though. I’m looking at the screenshots off the PS4 version on my TV and this pixel work seems to be be low quality, or my TV hates it.

Eurogamer have introduced a two tier paid subscription model, you can read about it here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-28-support-eurogamer-to-view-the-site-ad-free-and-much-more

Lots of comments under the article, mostly negative. I’m inclined to agree with them. It we were talking about Eurogamer as it was in the mid to late 2000s, I might have considered it. But not now. 

If it generates enough income to improve the quality of the articles on the website, then I might consider it further down the line. But I doubt it.