passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

Noting of course that microtransactions, DLC, lootboxes, season passes, mobile games and monthly subscription services have all brought alternative funding streams to some video games publishers over the last few years.

e.g. EA makes 55% from game sales, 45% from DLC, microtransactions, while for Take Two it's 42% from game sales, 58% microtransactions.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/06/rockstar-owner-take-two-makes-58-money-microtransactions-dlc-10527500/

Not to mention an increase in overall interest in games. I feel like we've had successes that might have been unthinkable ten years ago. Remember when developers were fighting to get a new IP with a female lead? And here with are with Horizon being a big success and Horizon 2 the new posterchild for an entire new console. There's an audience for almost everything now. Even games like Astral Chain or Fire Emblem Three Houses would have been super low-key nerdy games for the initiated but today they're selling like crazy. I can't really explain this sudden shift but it most certainly means more money for publishers as well.

Yeah, read that earlier. There's a bit of #metoo going around the game industry ever since that thing with the Valhalla director came out.

If this was any other year I'd have been a bit sad though because EVO has always been an interesting watch. But this being 2020 and EVO being EVO Online instead I'm personally not too bothered by it. Thankfully a very convenient year to get rid of pedos.

Amazon's new MMO 'New World' was supposed to come out next month, now it is coming out in Spring next year

https://www.newworld.com/en-us/news/articles/release-update?fbclid=IwAR1hVi0DqEOvB_TVt2OZf9SmCNoiGNq9K_AVq-nnK6Ll9uYxzfu_2otfSOE

As a bit of a junkie I'd been keeping an eye on it but really bad feedback was coming out of the beta. It sounds like they're trying to do a very late course correct (they've already made massive changes to what this game was originally, if I recall)

• 2 weeks later...

It's become pretty clear by now that they chose not to address this at their recent show not because they didn't have time but because they hoped that the facebook normies who aren't plugged into this stuff would not be distracted from the big announcements. Every preview and review of their stuff should just include a detail about their corporate culture before talking about their games imo

Maybe precede any forthcoming Ubisoft announcements with:

“Ubisoft has fallen short in its obligation to guarantee a safe and inclusive workplace environment for its employees,” Guillemot said in a statement on July 12 in Paris announcing the executive departures. “This is unacceptable, as toxic behaviors are in direct contrast to values on which I have never compromised—and never will. I am committed to implementing profound changes across the company to improve and strengthen our workplace culture.”

Well, adding in an apology might be nice too, albeit that sadly never seems to be the modern way.

It really wouldn't have been above and beyond for them to acknowledge it at their PR showing. It actually would have been extremely easy and timely to do.

They just didn't want it to get in the way of their announcements. It comes across when you read about how Yves looked the other way on this stuff historically and how HR protected the upper echelons of Ubi

I dunno, I bet they'd address it at an industry event if the industry was talking about it.

I'd expect them to do like @shinymcshine said, short statement, doesn't  have to be anyone on screen, that says "we need to do better" etc, then move on and don't mention it next time. Now they've had people talking about how they didn't mention it, so they'll have to go through this when their next stream is