passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Random News II

Bob

If, and that's a big if, there's a new Perfect Dark I doubt it'll be from Rare anyway. They might have a consulting role on the development process like they did with Killer Instinct and the new Battletoads, but nothing more. They have releases exactly two games on Xbox One in the last six years – considering they're currently still supporting Sea of Thieves and working on Everwild, I doubt there's enough manpower left to work on another triple-A title (which PD would be).

Rare are a shadow of their former selves and PD Zero was pretty bad so hope they’re not.

Id actually be happier if another developer was in charge of it, but at that point just create a new IP instead please. 

Yeah, it's always been like that. I remember seeing GUN for Xbox and Xbox360 next to each other and the latter being I think at least 15€ more expensive.

I think N64 to Gamecube was the one big exception because N64 game were hilariously expensive.

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

Yeah, it's always been like that. I remember seeing GUN for Xbox and Xbox360 next to each other and the latter being I think at least 15€ more expensive.

I think N64 to Gamecube was the one big exception because N64 game were hilariously expensive.

I still shudder at £70 for Virtua Racing on the Megadrive back in 1994 (as it required a non standard chipset), and for that you still got just three circuits !

1 hour ago, shinymcshine said:

An interesting article which alludes toward (unconscious) bias when setting players stats in Football Manager:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-02-football-manager-developer-denies-newspaper-claim-it-edited-its-player-database-after-accusations-of-racial-profiling

this is a pretty good read. Sports Interactive deny is, although I suspect there is some unconscious bias from their scouts (because I suspect there are unconscious bias' from scouts for professional clubs too). It's interesting how they create the regen/newgen players, for those who don't know these are the players who come through each season to repopulate the game as the real players retire. Some are based on actual club legends, otherwise they're limited by the stats of players of their nationality, so an average French player will be better than an average Chinese player, it's to stop things like Greenland randomly getting the new Messi and Ronaldo in their national side, and so countries like Brazil will always produce good players

Sports Interactive communications director Ciarán Brennan told Eurogamer the game's newgen player stats were once derived from national averages - i.e. the average rating for every player from a specific country was calculated and used as the basis for the attributes of any newgen from that country. For example, if the average acceleration for a Scottish player during the 2010/11 season had been 11.5, every Scottish newgen's speed rating would have been tied to this figure.

So it perpetuates the idea that current successful country can only create great new players?  There may be some truth to this but weird shit happens on an individual scale.  I feel like a simulation could quite easily factor that in and its weird they don't. 

28 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

So it perpetuates the idea that current successful country can only create great new players?  There may be some truth to this but weird shit happens on an individual scale.  I feel like a simulation could quite easily factor that in and its weird they don't. 

I'm sure @DisturbedSwan will be able to tell you about the time George Weah's cousin played for Southampton.....

Not quite sure how many more world class players came out of Liberia though.

to a point, it's never been impossible to get a world class player from a lower standard country. It's not impossible, on the Switch version I was playing one of the best players in the world is Welsh, which I suppose parallels Bale in real life. It just means that you get more of them from England in the way you've got Sterling, Sancho, Rashford, Kane, and previously had Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole, Rooney, Owen etc whereas Wales had Giggs and Scotland had ______