passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair

DisturbedSwan

The first one was a big disappointment for me. The controls just were totally off and wonkey, it didn't feel good to move around which is the worst thing that could happen to a platformer.

This one looks similarly unprecise but without a third axis it might play a bit better. I'll try to keep an open mind.

After watching the Treehouse presentation yesterday I have to admit this looks really promising and way better than it did in the trailer. There's a certain "flow" to the gameplay and the visual style and level design reminds me a lot of Donkey Kong Country. There's also one particular design idea they seemingly borrowed from Breath of the Wild: After starting the game you can go straight into the last stage, the Impossible Lair, and possibily beat the game within a couple of minutes. That said, the Impossible Lair is supposedly really hard, really long and doesn't have any checkpoints. If you play the game normally, you'll eventually collect up to 48 bees which will turn up in the Impossible Lair to take damage instead of Yooka whenever he gets hit or falls off the stage, so it will become easier the longer you play.

It's an interesting idea and I feel like it all depends on the difficulty level of that last stage whether it's going to work or not.

• 2 months later...

Just become available to pre-order on the Switch eShop:

Releasing October 8th 2019
File size: 4.6GB
Languages: Japanese, English, Spanish, French, German, Chinese.
Price: AUD$45 (Convert that to USD ~$30, converted price not expected to be actual)

Pre-order bonuses:
- Trowzer's Top Tonic Pack: play with even more tonics
- Largee Head: Gives Laylee an oversized head.
- Glow Worm: Makes Yooka and Laylee glow.
- D.I.S.C.O: Turn every level into a platforming party of Playtonic proportions.
- Yooka 64: For fans of all things retro, this tonic will be a blast from the past, no added polygons.

• 1 month later...

Just watched the GB QL of this, looks really good fun! Concerned about Brads complaints about the controls though, wouldn’t want another LBP. Doesn’t look anywhere near as bad as those games though control wise. Definitely want to give it a go.