Sign in to follow this  
Blakey

Yooka-Laylee and The Impossible Lair

The first one was a big disappointment for me. The controls just were totally off and wonkey, it didn't feel good to move around which is the worst thing that could happen to a platformer.

This one looks similarly unprecise but without a third axis it might play a bit better. I'll try to keep an open mind.

After watching the Treehouse presentation yesterday I have to admit this looks really promising and way better than it did in the trailer. There's a certain "flow" to the gameplay and the visual style and level design reminds me a lot of Donkey Kong Country. There's also one particular design idea they seemingly borrowed from Breath of the Wild: After starting the game you can go straight into the last stage, the Impossible Lair, and possibily beat the game within a couple of minutes. That said, the Impossible Lair is supposedly really hard, really long and doesn't have any checkpoints. If you play the game normally, you'll eventually collect up to 48 bees which will turn up in the Impossible Lair to take damage instead of Yooka whenever he gets hit or falls off the stage, so it will become easier the longer you play.

It's an interesting idea and I feel like it all depends on the difficulty level of that last stage whether it's going to work or not.

Yeah, I got a big sense of Retro's Donkey Kong games from this.  Definitely intrigued by it.