passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Baldur's Gate 3

DisturbedSwan

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sounds like they are trying to get it on xbox too, but apparently split screen co-op on series S might be a challenge

https://kotaku.com/baldur-s-gate-3-ps5-release-date-exclusivity-series-s-1850157922

iirc DF said before that memory bandwidth causes development challenges with S. Going to guess this comes up next week in DF direct. Sounds like it will still come out tho but maybe after PC and PS

Take it MS won’t not allow games to be SX only too? I’ve been happily using my SS while the house is a shit tip but I’ll be really disappointed if it prevents games being released on the Xbox in general or holds them back going forward. 

To me, the tweet reads like they are trying to get it to the same standard on 'both', eg that the feature is working less well on S than on X

I can't see another way to interpret it tbh

We’re seeing a lot of varied interpretations of what that means, so we wanted to clarify further. We’ve had an Xbox version of Baldur’s Gate III in development for some time now. We’ve run into some technical issues in developing the Xbox port that have stopped us feeling 100% confident in announcing it until we’re certain we’ve found the right solutions—specifically, we’ve been unable to get splitscreen co-op to work to the same standard on both Xbox Series X and S, which is a requirement for us to ship

• 2 weeks later...

DF talk about it here

They seem to think it's a mandate from MS that S and X must have feature parity, which makes sense. That said it seems like one of those things they could end up rolling back on in the future if it causes these kinds of issues.

Like, it doesn't make much sense to me that split screen is so important to block a release on the platform entirely. That shouldn't have to be the case.

40 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Like, it doesn't make much sense to me that split screen is so important to block a release on the platform entirely. That shouldn't have to be the case.

Yeah I completely agree, just take split screen out the S version so it can release on Xbox, then make sure folks are told the S version doesn't have this in plenty of time before release, I would've thought that would've been problem solved. 

Seems better than the game not releasing on the platform at all, but I guess if they have this feature parity clause then they're sticking with it.

It's a weird one, as I never myself bothered with online multiplayer for either of the previous BG games, or split screen on Divinity OS 1 or 2.

So I do wonder just what percentage of gamers actually use these features, compared to how many just play, like myself, as single player solo ? It's certainly very different if we were talking about something like Diablo, but I'm not really sure how many people want to play a 30+ hr CRPG as a multiplayer experience.

I would've thought the folks who played Divinity in MP (local or online) were quite a low percentage but I'm guessing some of the data they've got from those indicates it's worthwhile to do in this? But who knows lol, I can't imagine playing this split screen with Char, I just don't see it as particularly user-friendly to a non-gamer, I can however see myself playing it online if it's drop in drop out and randoms can just kind of come and go as they please, if I have to set up a group, party up and all that then it's not likely unless someone from here wants a sesh together. 

• 3 months later...